The Impacts of the Food, fuel and Financial Crises on Households in Nigeria : a Retrospective Approach for Research Enquiry
This paper examines the impacts of the financial, food and fuel crises on the livelihoods of low-income households Nigeria. It uses primary household level data from Nigeria to analyse the impacts of induced price variability on household welfare. Our results indicate that aggregate shocks have significant adverse effects on household consumption, human capital, and labour decisions with a degree of impact variability between northern and southern regions of the country. We find that the coping strategies adopted by the poor to deal with the short-term effects of the crises, and which include substitution for lower quality food, increasing the intensity of work, withdrawing children from school – especially girls – and engaging children in child labour, can lock households in a low-income equilibrium or poverty trap. Provided that covariate shocks exacerbate these effects, tackling the effects of covariate risks becomes central for present and future development policy.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Katajanokanlaituri 6B, 00160 Helsinki|
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benjamin Senauer, 2008. "Food Market Effects of a Global Resource Shift Toward Bioenergy," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1226-1232.
- Xiaoguang Chen & Haixiao Huang & Madhu Khanna & Hayri Önal, 2011.
"Meeting the Mandate for Biofuels: Implications for Land Use, Food and Fuel Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
16697, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xiaoguang Chen & Haixiao Huang & Madhu Khanna & Hayri Önal, 2011. "Meeting the Mandate for Biofuels: Implications for Land Use, Food, and Fuel Prices," NBER Chapters, in: The Intended and Unintended Effects of U.S. Agricultural and Biotechnology Policies, pages 223-267 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Crotty, 2009.
"Structural causes of the global financial crisis: a critical assessment of the 'new financial architecture',"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 563-580, July.
- James Crotty, 2008. "Structural Causes of the Global Financial Crisis: A Critical Assessment of the ‘New Financial Architecture’," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2008-14, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- James Crotty, 2008. "Structural Causes of the Global Financial Crisis: A Critical Assessment of the ‘New Financial Architecture’," Working Papers wp180, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Erich Battistin & Raffaele Miniaci & Guglielmo Weber, 2003.
"What Do We Learn from Recall Consumption Data?,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 38(2).
- Erich Battistin & Raffale Miniaci & Guglielmo Weber, 2000. "What do we learn from recall consumption data?," IFS Working Papers W00/10, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Erich Battistin & Raffaele Miniaci & Guglielmo Weber, 2003. "What do we learn from recall consumption data?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 466, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- John Gibson & Bonggeun Kim, 2010.
"Non-Classical Measurement Error in Long-Term Retrospective Recall Surveys,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 72(5), pages 687-695, October.
- John Gibson & Bonggeun Kim, 2009. "Non-Classical Measurement Error in Long-Term Retrospective Recall Surveys," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-658, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2000.
"Lessons from the Asian Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
7102, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olomola, Aderibigbe S., 2013. "The Political Economy of Food Price Policy in Nigeria," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Baffes, John, 2007.
"Oil spills on other commodities,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 126-134, September.
- John Gibson, 2002.
"Why Does the Engel Method Work? Food Demand, Economies of Size and Household Survey Methods,"
Working Papers in Economics
02/02, University of Waikato, Department of Economics.
- Gibson, John, 2002. " Why Does the Engel Method Work? Food Demand, Economies of Size and Household Survey Methods," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(4), pages 341-59, September.
- George Psacharopoulos, 1997. "Child labor versus educational attainment Some evidence from Latin America," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 10(4), pages 377-386.
- Sylvie Moulin & Michael Kremer & Paul Glewwe, 2009.
"Many Children Left Behind? Textbooks and Test Scores in Kenya,"
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 112-35, January.
- Paul Glewwe & Michael Kremer & Sylvie Moulin, 2007. "Many Children Left Behind? Textbooks and Test Scores in Kenya," NBER Working Papers 13300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- NAKATA Hiroyuki & SAWADA Yasuyuki & TANAKA Mari, 2010. "Asking Retrospective Questions in Household Surveys: Evidence from Vietnam," Discussion papers 10008, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Barnard, Jerald R., 1983. "Gasohol/Ethanol: A Review of National and Regional Policy and Feasibility Issues," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 13(2).
- Chen, Sheng-Tung & Kuo, Hsiao-I & Chen, Chi-Chung, 2010. "Modeling the relationship between the oil price and global food prices," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(8), pages 2517-2525, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:wp2013-058. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.