Who has the final say?: Market power versus price discovery in China's sugar spot and futures markets
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to investigate the effects of network strength, transaction-specific investments and inter-personal trust on business relationship satisfaction for small-and-medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) involved in agri-food processing and exporting in China. Design/methodology/approach – Survey data collected from 80 agri-food SMEs in Jiangsu Province were used for empirical testing. The authors applied an ordered logit regression approach for model estimation. Findings – The results demonstrate that strong guanxi networks, high level of transaction-specific investments and inter-personal trust significantly contribute to a high level of relationship satisfaction for agri-food SMEs in China. In addition, inter-personal trust shows a moderating effect on the relationship between transaction-specific investments and relationship satisfaction. Practical implications – Business relationships play a critical role in the modern market environment. Relational arrangements (based on guanxi and inter-personal trust) should be further enhanced in order to yield satisfied business relationships for SMEs in China. Originality/value – The paper extends our understanding of relationship (guanxi) marketing, as well as marketing practices for agri-food SMEs in China. JEL classification: C58, G13
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 4 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/caer.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1991. " Measuring the Information Content of Stock Trades," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 179-207, March.
- Mattos, Fabio & Garcia, Philip, 2004. "Price Discovery In Thinly Traded Markets: Cash And Futures Relationships In Brazilian Agricultural Futures Markets," 2004 Conference, April 19-20, 2004, St. Louis, Missouri 19019, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Reimers, Hans-Eggert, 1992. "Impulse response analysis of cointegrated systems," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 53-78, January.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Baldi, Lucia & Peri, Massimo & Vandone, Daniela, 2011.
"Spot and Futures Prices of Agricultural Commodities: Fundamentals and Speculation,"
2011 International European Forum, February 14-18, 2011, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria
122002, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Lucia BALDI & Massimo PERI & Daniela VANDONE, 2011. "Spot and future prices of agricultural commodities: fundamentals and speculation," Departmental Working Papers 2011-03, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Anderson, Edward J. & Hu, Xinmin, 2008. "Forward contracts and market power in an electricity market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 679-694, May.
- Fortenbery, T. Randall & Zapata, Hector O., 1995.
"An Evaluation of Price Linkages Between Futures and Cash Markets for Cheddar Cheese,"
204126, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Food System Research Group.
- T. Randall Fortenbery & Hector O. Zapata, 1997. "An evaluation of price linkages between futures and cash markets for cheddar cheese," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 279-301, 05.
- Hector O. Zapata & T. RANDALL FORTENBERY, 1995.
"Stochastic Interest Rates and Price Discovery in Selected Commodity Markets,"
Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers
383, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Hector O. Zapata & T. Randall Fortenbery, 1996. "Stochastic Interest Rates and Price Discovery in Selected Commodity Markets," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 643-654.
- Hector O. ZAPATA & T. Randall FORTENBERY, 1995. "Stochastic Interest Rates And Price Discovery In Selected Commodity Markets," Staff Papers 383, University of Wisconsin Madison, AAE.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Sugato Chakravarty & Huseyin Gulen & Stewart Mayhew, 2004. "Informed Trading in Stock and Option Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(3), pages 1235-1258, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:caerpp:v:4:y:2012:i:3:p:379-390. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.