Developed speculation and underdeveloped markets--the role of futures trading on export prices in less developed countries
This paper examines the relationship between New York coffee futures and cash export prices in Guatemala and Honduras . Cointegration tests suggest that the futures market is serving its price discovery function, and provides a vehicle by which to manage the domestic price risk in export countries. However, further analysis finds that as the percent of speculative open interest increases in the coffee futures market, price volatility increases. This suggests that cash market price risk in exporting countries may actually increase as a result of futures trading activity in developed country futures exchanges.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 31 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- T. Randall Fortenbery & Hector O. Zapata, 1993. "An examination of cointegration relations between futures and local grain markets," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(8), pages 921-932, December.
- T. Randall Fortenbery & Hector O. Zapata, 1997.
"An evaluation of price linkages between futures and cash markets for cheddar cheese,"
Journal of Futures Markets,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 279-301, 05.
- Fortenbery, T. Randall & Zapata, Hector O., 1995. "An Evaluation of Price Linkages Between Futures and Cash Markets for Cheddar Cheese," Working Papers 204126, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Food System Research Group.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Reimers, Hans-Eggert, 1992. "Impulse response analysis of cointegrated systems," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 53-78, January.
- Nguyen, Duc Tin, 1980. "Partial Price Stabilization and Export Earning Instability," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(2), pages 340-352, July.
- David A. Bessler & Ted Covey, 1991. "Cointegration: Some results on U.S. cattle prices," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 461-474, 08.
- Benton F. Massell, 1969. "Price Stabilization and Welfare," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 83(2), pages 284-298. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)