Managing equity : The case of road pricing
Several authors have pointed out the equity issue as one of the chief obstacles to public acceptance of road pricing proposals. In this paper the management of equity concerns in road pricing planning and decision-making is analyzed, using experience from four Norwegian cities. Two of these cities have implemented more or less sophisticated toll rings, one city has established a local petrol fee, and one city has rejected road pricing schemes on several occasions. The analysis outlines the different distributive principles that have been proposed, rejected or adopted as features of charging and revenue disposal. Changes in equity attention before and after implementation of the schemes are investigated. The use of impartial arguments as cover-ups for selfish interests are discussed. Responsiveness towards equity claims in the public discourse has been a prerequisite for the acceptance of road pricing schemes. Nevertheless, the contention is that the planners' handling of equity concerns certainly could be improved.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 4 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Isaac & Deborah Mathieu & Edward Zajac, 1991. "Institutional framing and perceptions of fairness," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 329-370, September.
- World Commission on Environment and Development,, 1987. "Our Common Future," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780192820808, April.
- E T Verhoef, 1994.
"Efficiency and Equity in Externalities: A Partial Equilibrium Analysis,"
Environment and Planning A,
, vol. 26(3), pages 361-382, March.
- E T Verhoef, 1994. "Efficiency and equity in externalities: a partial equilibrium analysis," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 26(3), pages 361-382, March.
- E Trinder & A Hay & J Dignan & P Else & J Skorupski, 1991. "Concepts of equity, fairness, and justice in British transport legislation, 1960 - 88," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 9(1), pages 31-50, February.
- P Healey, 1996. "The communicative turn in planning theory and its implications for spatial strategy formations," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 23(2), pages 217-234, March.
- Small, Kenneth A., 1992. "Using the Revenues from Congestion Pricing," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt32p9m3mm, University of California Transportation Center.
- Small, Kenneth A., 2001. "Using the Revenues from Congestion Pricing," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt7170x9b0, University of California Transportation Center.
- Jones, Peter & Hervik, Arild, 1992. "Restraining car traffic in European cities: An emerging role for road pricing," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 133-145, March.
- Owens, Susan, 1995. "From 'predict and provide' to 'predict and prevent'?: Pricing and planning in transport policy," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 43-49, January.
- P Healey, 1996. "The Communicative Turn in Planning Theory and its Implications for Spatial Strategy Formation," Environment and Planning B, , vol. 23(2), pages 217-234, April.
- Hau, Timothy D., 1992. "Economic fundamentals of road pricing : a diagrammatic analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1070, The World Bank.
- A Hay & E Trinder, 1991. "Concepts of equity, fairness, and justice expressed by local transport policymakers," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 9(4), pages 453-465, August.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)