Managing equity : The case of road pricing
Several authors have pointed out the equity issue as one of the chief obstacles to public acceptance of road pricing proposals. In this paper the management of equity concerns in road pricing planning and decision-making is analyzed, using experience from four Norwegian cities. Two of these cities have implemented more or less sophisticated toll rings, one city has established a local petrol fee, and one city has rejected road pricing schemes on several occasions. The analysis outlines the different distributive principles that have been proposed, rejected or adopted as features of charging and revenue disposal. Changes in equity attention before and after implementation of the schemes are investigated. The use of impartial arguments as cover-ups for selfish interests are discussed. Responsiveness towards equity claims in the public discourse has been a prerequisite for the acceptance of road pricing schemes. Nevertheless, the contention is that the planners' handling of equity concerns certainly could be improved.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 4 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hau, Timothy D., 1992. "Economic fundamentals of road pricing : a diagrammatic analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1070, The World Bank.
- Owens, Susan, 1995. "From 'predict and provide' to 'predict and prevent'?: Pricing and planning in transport policy," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 43-49, January.
- World Commission on Environment and Development,, 1987. "Our Common Future," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780192820808, March.
- R. Isaac & Deborah Mathieu & Edward Zajac, 1991. "Institutional framing and perceptions of fairness," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 329-370, September.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- E Trinder & A Hay & J Dignan & P Else & J Skorupski, 1991. "Concepts of equity, fairness, and justice in British transport legislation, 1960 - 88," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 9(1), pages 31-50, February.
- P Healey, 1996. "The communicative turn in planning theory and its implications for spatial strategy formations," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 23(2), pages 217-234, March.
- Small, Kenneth A., 2001.
"Using the Revenues from Congestion Pricing,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt7170x9b0, University of California Transportation Center.
- Small, Kenneth A., 1992. "Using the Revenues from Congestion Pricing," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt32p9m3mm, University of California Transportation Center.
- E T Verhoef, 1994. "Efficiency and equity in externalities: a partial equilibrium analysis," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 26(3), pages 361-382, March.
- Jones, Peter & Hervik, Arild, 1992. "Restraining car traffic in European cities: An emerging role for road pricing," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 133-145, March.
- A Hay & E Trinder, 1991. "Concepts of equity, fairness, and justice expressed by local transport policymakers," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 9(4), pages 453-465, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:4:y:1997:i:1:p:25-39. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.