Public transport congestion costs: The case of the Paris subway
The paper argues that congestion in public transportation is alike the much more studied road congestion. It sets out to produce, on the case of the Paris subway, a congestion cost curve linking the willingness to pay for non-congested travel to actual congestion levels. Congestion costs appear high. What travelers would be ready to pay to avoid congestion in the Paris subway is on average about three times the amount of their out-of-pocket payments. An 8% increase in densities experienced over the 2002–2007 period implies a welfare loss of at least 75M€/year. Taking into account the subway congestion costs and the resulting externalities modifies significantly the optimal car-subway mix (from 8% to 24% according to a tentative computable model).
Volume (Year): 21 (2012)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mohring, Herbert, 1972. "Optimization and Scale Economies in Urban Bus Transportation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 591-604, September.
- Pierre Kopp & Rémy Prud'Homme, 2010. "The Economics of Urban Tolls: Lessons from the Stockholm Case," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00647669, HAL.
- Armelius, Hanna & Hultkrantz, Lars, 2006.
"The politico-economic link between public transport and road pricing: An ex-ante study of the Stockholm road-pricing trial,"
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 162-172, March.
- Hutlkrantz, Lars & Armelius, Hanna, 2005. "The Politico-Economic Link Between Public Transport And Road Pricing: An Ex-Ante Study Of The Stockholm Road-Pricing Trial," Working Papers 2005:8, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Kraus, Marvin, 1991. "Discomfort externalities and marginal cost transit fares," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 249-259, March.
- Pierre Kopp & Remy Prud'Homme, 2010. "The Economics Of Urban Tolls: Lessons From The Stockholm Case," Articles, International Journal of Transport Economics, vol. 37(2).
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00647669 is not listed on IDEAS
- Theodore Tsekeris & Stefan Voß, 2009. "Design and evaluation of road pricing: state-of-the-art and methodological advances," Netnomics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 5-52, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)