Discomfort in mass transit and its implication for scheduling and pricing
This paper proposes an analytical formulation of discomfort in mass transit and discusses its micro-economic properties. The formula we introduce reflects real situations faced by the passengers, it has nice mathematical properties and it is easy to compute. The discomfort formulation is used to analyze optimal scheduling and pricing of transit in a dynamic model.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2013|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00784303|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lam, William H. K. & Cheung, Chung-Yu & Lam, C. F., 1999. "A study of crowding effects at the Hong Kong light rail transit stations," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 401-415, June.
- Hamdouch, Younes & Ho, H.W. & Sumalee, Agachai & Wang, Guodong, 2011. "Schedule-based transit assignment model with vehicle capacity and seat availability," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1805-1830.
- de Palma, André & Lindsey, Robin, 2001.
"Optimal timetables for public transportation,"
Transportation Research Part B: Methodological,
Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 789-813, September.
- A. de Palma & R. Lindsey, 2000. "Optimal Timetables for Public Transportation," THEMA Working Papers 2000-09, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Mohring, Herbert, 1972. "Optimization and Scale Economies in Urban Bus Transportation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 591-604, September.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1998. "Numerical Methods in Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262100711.
- Luke Haywood & Martin Koning, 2012. "Avoir les coudes serrés dans le métro parisien : évaluation contingente du confort des déplacements," Revue d'économie industrielle, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(4), pages 111-144.
- Koning Martin & Haywood Luke, 2011. "Pushy Parisian Elbows: Taste for Comfort in Public Transport," ERSA conference papers ersa11p815, European Regional Science Association.
- Rouwendal, Jan & Verhoef, Erik T., 2004. "2. Second-Best Pricing For Imperfect Substitutes In Urban Networks," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 27-60, January.
- Jan Rouwendal & Erik T. Verhoef, 2003. "Second-best Pricing for Imperfect Substitutes in Urban Networks," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-085/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Ian W. H. Parry & Kenneth A. Small, 2009. "Should Urban Transit Subsidies Be Reduced?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(3), pages 700-724, June.
- Parry, Ian W.H. & Small, Kenneth, 2007. "Should Urban Transit Subsidies Be Reduced?," Discussion Papers dp-07-38, Resources For the Future.
- Ian W.H. Parry & Kenneth A. Small, 2007. "Should Urban Transit Subsidies Be Reduced?," Working Papers 060723, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Kraus, Marvin, 2012. "Road pricing with optimal mass transit," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 81-86.
- Marvin Kraus, 2011. "Road Pricing with Optimal Mass Transit," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 771, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 15 Apr 2012.
- Cortés, Cristián E. & Jara-Moroni, Pedro & Moreno, Eduardo & Pineda, Cristobal, 2013. "Stochastic transit equilibrium," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 29-44.
- Hamdouch, Younes & Lawphongpanich, Siriphong, 2008. "Schedule-based transit assignment model with travel strategies and capacity constraints," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 42(7-8), pages 663-684, August.
- Piet Rietveld & Jasper Dekkers & Stefan van Woudenberg, 2001. "Choice of Frequency and Vehicle Size in Rail Transport: Implications for Marginal External Costs," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-109/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Li, Zheng & Hensher, David A., 2011. "Crowding and public transport: A review of willingness to pay evidence and its relevance in project appraisal," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 880-887, November.
- Proost, Stef & Dender, Kurt Van, 2008. "Optimal urban transport pricing in the presence of congestion, economies of density and costly public funds," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 1220-1230, November.
- Kraus, Marvin, 1991. "Discomfort externalities and marginal cost transit fares," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 249-259, March.
- Sumalee, Agachai & Tan, Zhijia & Lam, William H.K., 2009. "Dynamic stochastic transit assignment with explicit seat allocation model," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(8-9), pages 895-912, September.
- Tian, Qiong & Huang, Hai-Jun & Yang, Hai, 2007. "Equilibrium properties of the morning peak-period commuting in a many-to-one mass transit system," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 616-631, July.
- Huang, Hai-Jun, 2000. "Fares and tolls in a competitive system with transit and highway: the case with two groups of commuters," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 267-284, December.
- Kraus, Marvin & Yoshida, Yuichiro, 2002. "The Commuter's Time-of-Use Decision and Optimal Pricing and Service in Urban Mass Transit," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 170-195, January.
- Prud'homme, Rémy & Koning, Martin & Lenormand, Luc & Fehr, Anne, 2012. "Public transport congestion costs: The case of the Paris subway," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 101-109. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)