Discomfort in mass transit and its implication for scheduling and pricing
This paper discusses the formulation of crowding in public transport and its implications for pricing, seating capacity and optimal scheduling. An analytical model is used to describe the user equilibrium and the optimal equilibrium for different stylized conditions. For the one OD pair case with identical desired arrival time, we derive the optimal dynamic pricing and optimal share of seats. For the uniformly distributed desired arrival times case, we derive the optimal time table and the optimal pricing. Next we generalize the results to the case of a small network with several stations, stochastic choice and allocation of seats.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2015|
|Publication status:||Published in Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, 2015, 71, pp.1-18. 〈10.1016/j.trb.2014.10.001〉|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01311131|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Palma, André & Lindsey, Robin, 2001. "Optimal timetables for public transportation," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 789-813, September.
- Mohring, Herbert, 1972. "Optimization and Scale Economies in Urban Bus Transportation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 591-604, September.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1998. "Numerical Methods in Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262100711, January.
- Ian W. H. Parry & Kenneth A. Small, 2009.
"Should Urban Transit Subsidies Be Reduced?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(3), pages 700-724, June.
- Parry, Ian W.H. & Small, Kenneth, 2007. "Should Urban Transit Subsidies Be Reduced?," Discussion Papers dp-07-38, Resources For the Future.
- Ian W.H. Parry & Kenneth A. Small, 2007. "Should Urban Transit Subsidies Be Reduced?," Working Papers 060723, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Hamdouch, Younes & Lawphongpanich, Siriphong, 2008. "Schedule-based transit assignment model with travel strategies and capacity constraints," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 42(7-8), pages 663-684, August.
- Kraus, Marvin, 1991. "Discomfort externalities and marginal cost transit fares," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 249-259, March.
- Sumalee, Agachai & Tan, Zhijia & Lam, William H.K., 2009. "Dynamic stochastic transit assignment with explicit seat allocation model," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(8-9), pages 895-912, September.
- Huang, Hai-Jun, 2000. "Fares and tolls in a competitive system with transit and highway: the case with two groups of commuters," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 267-284, December.
- Cortés, Cristián E. & Jara-Moroni, Pedro & Moreno, Eduardo & Pineda, Cristobal, 2013. "Stochastic transit equilibrium," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 29-44.
- Kraus, Marvin, 2012.
"Road pricing with optimal mass transit,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 81-86.
- Marvin Kraus, 2011. "Road Pricing with Optimal Mass Transit," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 771, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 15 Apr 2012.
- Piet Rietveld & Jasper Dekkers & Stefan van Woudenberg, 2001. "Choice of Frequency and Vehicle Size in Rail Transport: Implications for Marginal External Costs," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-109/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Rouwendal, Jan & Verhoef, Erik T., 2004. "2. Second-Best Pricing For Imperfect Substitutes In Urban Networks," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 27-60, January.
- Jan Rouwendal & Erik T. Verhoef, 2003. "Second-best Pricing for Imperfect Substitutes in Urban Networks," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-085/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Proost, Stef & Dender, Kurt Van, 2008. "Optimal urban transport pricing in the presence of congestion, economies of density and costly public funds," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 1220-1230, November.
- Tian, Qiong & Huang, Hai-Jun & Yang, Hai, 2007. "Equilibrium properties of the morning peak-period commuting in a many-to-one mass transit system," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 616-631, July.
- Lam, William H. K. & Cheung, Chung-Yu & Lam, C. F., 1999. "A study of crowding effects at the Hong Kong light rail transit stations," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 401-415, June.
- Luke Haywood & Martin Koning, 2012. "Avoir les coudes serrés dans le métro parisien : évaluation contingente du confort des déplacements," Revue d'économie industrielle, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(4), pages 111-144.
- Koning Martin & Haywood Luke, 2011. "Pushy Parisian Elbows: Taste for Comfort in Public Transport," ERSA conference papers ersa11p815, European Regional Science Association.
- Luke Haywood & Martin Koning, 2012. "Avoir les coudes serrés dans le métro parisien : évaluation contingente du confort des déplacements," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-01510279, HAL.
- Prud'homme, Rémy & Koning, Martin & Lenormand, Luc & Fehr, Anne, 2012. "Public transport congestion costs: The case of the Paris subway," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 101-109.
- Hamdouch, Younes & Ho, H.W. & Sumalee, Agachai & Wang, Guodong, 2011. "Schedule-based transit assignment model with vehicle capacity and seat availability," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1805-1830.
- Li, Zheng & Hensher, David A., 2011. "Crowding and public transport: A review of willingness to pay evidence and its relevance in project appraisal," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 880-887, November.
- Kraus, Marvin & Yoshida, Yuichiro, 2002. "The Commuter's Time-of-Use Decision and Optimal Pricing and Service in Urban Mass Transit," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 170-195, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:hal-01311131. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.