On the development of public transit in large cities
This article presents a summary of the analyses and set of recommendations given by a committee of transit specialists gathered by the Minister of Transport of Chile aiming at improving Transantiago, the new transit system recently inaugurated for Santiago. This summary focuses on those recommendations directed towards improving the efficiency, service quality and sustainability of mass public transportation systems in major cities in the developing world and that could be implemented in a short term (within two years). Three broad dimensions of public transit are considered: competition and regulation; investment, financing, fares and subsidies; and the operation and use of infrastructure, design, inspection and control. Although the study grew out of the needs and characteristics of a city such as Santiago (Chile), and of the virtues and deficiencies of Transantiago, much of the analyses and recommendations could be adopted and implemented in the major cities of developed countries in Europe, North America and Asia.
Volume (Year): 29 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620614/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- KERSTENS, Kristiaan, 1995.
"Technical efficiency measurement and explanation of French urban transit companies,"
SESO Working Papers
1995020, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Kerstens, K., 1996. "Technical efficiency measurement and explanation of French urban transit companies," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 431-452, November.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Janet E. Kohlhase, 2003.
"Cities, Regions and the Decline of Transport Costs,"
NBER Working Papers
9886, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward Glaeser & Janet Kohlhase, 2003. "Cities, regions and the decline of transport costs," Papers in Regional Science, Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 83(1), pages 197-228, October.
- Edward Glaeser & Janet Kohlhase, 2003. "Cities, regions and the decline of transport costs," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 197-228, October.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Janet E. Kohlhase, 2003. "Cities, Regions and the Decline of Transport Costs," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2014, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Banister, David & Berechman, Joseph & De Rus, Gines, 1992. "Competitive regimes within the European bus industry: Theory and practice," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 167-178, March.
- Robert E. Lucas & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2002. "On the Internal Structure of Cities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1445-1476, July.
- J. Enrique Fernández & Juan Carlos Muñoz, 2007. "Privatisation and Deregulation of Urban Bus Services: An Analysis of Fare Evolution Mechanisms," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 41(1), pages 25-49, January.
- Jess Gaspar & Edward Glaeser, 1996.
"Information Technology and the Future of Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
5562, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jess Gaspar & Edward L. Glaeser, 1996. "Information Technology and the Future of Cities," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1756, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Nicholas Crafts, 2009. "Transport infrastructure investment: implications for growth and productivity," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(3), pages 327-343, Autumn.
- R. G. Lipsey & Kelvin Lancaster, 1956. "The General Theory of Second Best," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(1), pages 11-32.
- Mohring, Herbert, 1972. "Optimization and Scale Economies in Urban Bus Transportation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 591-604, September.
- Muñoz, Juan Carlos & Gschwender, Antonio, 2008. "Transantiago: A tale of two cities," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 45-53, January.
- Theodore Tsekeris & Stefan Voß, 2009. "Design and evaluation of road pricing: state-of-the-art and methodological advances," Netnomics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 5-52, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:retrec:v:29:y:2010:i:1:p:379-386. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.