Indirect production function and the output effect of public transit subsidies
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Obeng, K., 2009. "Indirect production function and the output effect of Public transit subsidies," 50th Annual Transportation Research Forum, Portland, Oregon, March 16-18, 2009 207603, Transportation Research Forum.
References listed on IDEAS
- Obeng, K. & Sakano, R., 2008. "Public transit subsidies, output effect and total factor productivity," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 85-98, January.
- Mohring, Herbert, 1972. "Optimization and Scale Economies in Urban Bus Transportation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 591-604, September.
- Hilmer, Christiana E. & Holt, Matthew T., 2005. "Estimating Indirect Production Functions with a More General Specification: An Application of the Lewbel Model," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(03), December.
- Small, Kenneth A. & Gomez-Ibanez, Jose A., 1999. "Urban transportation," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics,in: P. C. Cheshire & E. S. Mills (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 1937-1999 Elsevier.
- Savage, Ian, 2004. "Management objectives and the causes of mass transit deficits," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 181-199, March.
- Hilmer, Christiana E. & Holt, Matthew T., 2005. "Estimating Indirect Production Functions with a More General Specification: An Application of the Lewbel Model," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(03), pages 619-634, December.
- Eric A. Hanushek, 1979. "Conceptual and Empirical Issues in the Estimation of Educational Production Functions," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 14(3), pages 351-388.
- Cooter, Robert & Topakian, Gregory, 1980. "Political economy of a public corporation : Pricing objectives of BART," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 299-318, June.
- Bruno De Borger & Kristiaan Kerstens & Álvaro Costa, 2002. "Public transit performance: What does one learn from frontier studies?," Transport Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 1-38, January.
- Peran van Reeven, 2008. "Subsidisation of Urban Public Transport and the Mohring Effect," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 42(2), pages 349-359, May.
- Talley, Wayne K., 1988. "An economic theory of the public transit firm," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 45-54, February.
- De Alessi, Louis, 1969. "Implications of Property Rights for Government Investment Choices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 13-24, March.
- Martijn Brons & Peter Nijkamp & Eric Pels & Piet Rietveld, 2005. "Efficiency of urban public transit: A meta analysis," Transportation, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Nolan, J. F. & Ritchie, P. C. & Rowcroft, J. E., 2002. "Identifying and measuring public policy goals: ISTEA and the US bus transit industry," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 291-304, July.
- Obeng, K., 2000. "Expense preference behavior in public transit systems," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 249-265, December.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1997. "Modeling allocative inefficiency in a translog cost function and cost share equations: An exact relationship," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 351-356.
- Kerstens, K., 1996.
"Technical efficiency measurement and explanation of French urban transit companies,"
Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice,
Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 431-452, November.
- KERSTENS, Kristiaan, 1995. "Technical efficiency measurement and explanation of French urban transit companies," SESO Working Papers 1995020, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Karlaftis, Matthew G. & McCarthy, Patrick, 2002. "Cost structures of public transit systems: a panel data analysis," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 1-18, January.
- DE BORGER, Bruno & KERSTENS, Kristiaan & COSTA, Álvaro, "undated". "Public transit performance: What do we learn from frontier studies?," Working Papers 2000019, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Pina, Vicente & Torres, Lourdes, 2001. "Analysis of the efficiency of local government services delivery. An application to urban public transport," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 929-944, December.
- Fare, R. & Grosskopf, S. & Lovell, C. A. K., 1988. "An indirect approach to the evaluation of producer performance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 71-89, October.
- Cooter, Robert & Topakian, Gregory, 1980. "Political Economy of a Public Corporation: Pricing Objectives of BART," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 299-318, June.
- Karlaftis, Matt G. & McCarthy, Patrick, 1998. "Operating subsidies and performance in public transit: an empirical study," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 359-375, September.
- Obeng, Kofi, 2010. "The Deadweight Costs of Operating and Capital Subsidies," Journal of the Transportation Research Forum, Transportation Research Forum, vol. 49(1).
- Stephen Schmidt, 2001. "Incentive Effects of Expanding Federal Mass Transit Formula Grants," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(2), pages 239-261.
- Kristiaan Kerstens & Philippe Vanden Eeckaut, 1999. "A new criterion for technical efficiency measures: non-monotonicity across dimensions axioms," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 45-59.
- Bokusheva, Raushan & Kumbhakar, Subal C., 2008. "Modelling Farms' Production Decisions Under Expenditure Constraints," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6641, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- D. Fabbri, 1995. "Public Transit Subsidy: from the Economics of Welfare to the Theory of Incentives," Working Papers 220, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cinzia Daraio & Marco Diana & Flavia Di Costa & Claudio Leporelli & Giorgio Matteucci & Alberto Nastasi, 2014. "Efficiency and effectiveness in the urban public transport sector: a critical review with directions for future research," DIAG Technical Reports 2014-14, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Maria Nieswand & Matthias Walter, 2010.
"Cost Efficiency and Subsidization in German Local Public Bus Transit,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1071, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Nieswand, Maria & Walter, Matthias, 2013. "Cost Efficiency and Subsidization in German Local Public Bus Transit," CEPR Discussion Papers 9346, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sakano, Ryoichi & Obeng, Kofi, 2011. "Examining the Inefficiency of Transit Systems Using Latent Class Stochastic Frontier Models," Journal of the Transportation Research Forum, Transportation Research Forum, vol. 50(2).
- Obeng, K. & Sakano, R. & Naanwaab, C., 2016. "Understanding overall output efficiency in public transit systems: The roles of input regulations, perceived budget and input subsidies," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 89(C), pages 133-150.
More about this item
KeywordsOperating subsidy; Capital subsidy; Output effect; Indirect production function; Inefficiency;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:transp:v:38:y:2011:i:2:p:191-214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.