Economic analysis of the Spanish port sector reform during the 1990s
In the matter of port legislation, the nineties was a period of maximum interest in Spain. Two laws enacted in 1992 and 1997, respectively, aimed at increasing the autonomy of individual ports in the management and organization of its activities. Before 1992 two different models of management coexisted in the Spanish port system: autonomous decision-making ports and ports controlled in its decision-making by the Central Government. The question we address in this paper is how these legislative changes have affected the evolution of the levels of traffic of the Spanish port system from 1992, date of introduction of the first law, to 2003, date of approval of a third legislative change that remains out of this analysis for lack of sufficient data. We find an important impact of legislative changes on port traffic by way of an estimated econometric model over the 1966-2003 period. We control for the effect of other variables that might have influenced Spanish maritime traffic such as international maritime flows, taken as a proxy of globalization, or gross domestic product, under the hypothesis that maritime transport is a demand derived of economic activity. We provide evidence supporting that greater port autonomy had beneficial effects for the Spanish port system as a whole.
Volume (Year): 42 (2008)
Issue (Month): 8 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allan w. Gregory & Bruce E. Hansen, 1992.
"residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts,"
862, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Gregory, Allan W. & Hansen, Bruce E., 1996. "Residual-based tests for cointegration in models with regime shifts," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 99-126, January.
- Gregory, A.W. & Hansen, B.E., 1992. "Residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts," RCER Working Papers 335, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Gardner, Bernard & Marlow, Peter & Pettit, Stephen, 2006. "Full cost recovery in EU ports operating as commercial undertakings," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 2-21, January.
- Antonio Estache & B. Tovar & Lourdes Trujillo, 2004.
"Sources of Efficiency Gains in Port Reform: A DEA Decomposition of a Malmquist TFP Index for Mexico,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/43973, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Estache, Antonio & de la Fe, Beatriz Tovar & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2004. "Sources of efficiency gains in port reform: a DEA decomposition of a Malmquist TFP index for Mexico," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 221-230, December.
- Suárez de Vivero, Juan L. & Rodríguez Mateos, Juan C., 2002. "Spain and the sea. The decline of an ideology, crisis in the maritime sector and the challenges of globalization," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 143-153, May.
- Bichou, K. & Gray, R., 2005. "A critical review of conventional terminology for classifying seaports," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 75-92, January.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003.
"Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998. "Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models," Cahiers de recherche 9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Tom Doan, . "MULTIPLEBREAKS: RATS procedure to perform multiple structural change analysis," Statistical Software Components RTS00138, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate examples of Bai-Perron procedure," Statistical Software Components RTZ00008, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "BAIPERRON: RATS procedure to perform Bai-Perron Test for Multiple Structural Changes," Statistical Software Components RTS00013, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Yercan, Funda, 1998. "Maritime transport policy of Turkey," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 259-266, October.
- van Veen-Groot, Danielle B. & Nijkamp, Peter, 1999. "Globalisation, transport and the environment: new perspectives for ecological economics," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 331-346, December.
- Pallis, Athanasios A. & Syriopoulos, Theodore, 2007. "Port governance models: Financial evaluation of Greek port restructuring," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 232-246, May.
- Cullinane, Kevin & Ji, Ping & Wang, Teng-fei, 2005. "The relationship between privatization and DEA estimates of efficiency in the container port industry," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 57(5), pages 433-462.
- Perez-Labajos, Carlos & Blanco, Beatriz, 2004. "Competitive policies for commercial sea ports in the EU," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 553-556, November.
- Alderton, Tony & Winchester, Nik, 2002. "Globalisation and de-regulation in the maritime industry," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 35-43, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:42:y:2008:i:8:p:1056-1063. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.