Have Spanish port sector reforms during the last two decades been successful? A cost frontier approach
The evolution of the port management model in Spain has been marked by three legislative reforms in the last two decades. This legislation was designed so that the Spanish regulatory framework could embrace the forms of port organization and management that would in turn permit the Spanish ports to function competitively and efficiently, and to be suitably positioned within the distribution systems. This paper aims to analyze the impact of these regulatory changes upon the economic efficiency of the Spanish Port Authorities during 1993–2007 period. To do this, we use a short run total cost model after contrasting that it is the more appropriate because our results suggest that this sector is not in long-run equilibrium. The results demonstrate that the impact of these legislative reforms has not been equal. The most significant changes, in terms of economic efficiency, took place in the first period. The results were also positive for the second period, although the efficiency gains were much more modest. Finally the third legislative reform seemed to have had a contrary effect upon economic efficiency.
Volume (Year): 24 (2012)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hung-jen Wang & Peter Schmidt, 2002.
"One-Step and Two-Step Estimation of the Effects of Exogenous Variables on Technical Efficiency Levels,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 129-144, September.
- Wang, Hung-jen & Schmidt, Peter, 2001. "One-step and two-step estimation of the effects of exogenous variables on technical efficiency levels," MPRA Paper 31075, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2002.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Tretheway, Michael W, 1980. "Flexible Cost Functions for Multiproduct Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(3), pages 477-481, August.
- Douglas W. Caves & Laurits R. Christensen & Joseph A. Swanson, 1981. "Economic Performance in Regulated and Unregulated Environments: A Comparison of U. S. and Canadian Railroads," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(4), pages 559-581.
- Morrison, Catherine J, 1988. "Quasi-Fixed Inputs in U.S. and Japanese Manufacturing: A Generalized Leontief Restricted Cost Function Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 275-287, May.
- Nemoto, Jiro & Nakanishi, Yasuo & Madono, Seishi, 1993. "Scale Economies and Over-capitalization in Japanese Electric Utilities," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(2), pages 431-460, May.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- Vita, Michael G., 1990. "Exploring hospital production relationships with flexible functional forms," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Castillo-Manzano, José I. & López-Valpuesta, Lourdes & Pérez, Javier J., 2008. "Economic analysis of the Spanish port sector reform during the 1990s," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(8), pages 1056-1063, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:24:y:2012:i:c:p:73-82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.