The Impact of Privatisation on the Efficiency of Train Operation in Britain
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- D. S. Prasada Rao & Bart van Ark, 2013. "Introduction," Chapters,in: World Economic Performance, chapter 1, pages 1-6 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Michael G. Pollitt & Andrew S. J. Smith, 2002.
"The restructuring and privatisation of British Rail: was it really that bad?,"
Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 23(4), pages 463-502, December.
- Pollitt, M. & Smith, A.S.J., 2001. "The Restructuring and Privatisation of British Rail: Was it really that bad?," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0118, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Perelman, Sergio & Pestieau, Pierre, 1988. "Technical performance in public enterprises : A comparative study of railways and postal services," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 432-441, March.
- Affuso, L. & Masson, J. & Newbery, D.M., 2000. "Comparing Investment on New Transport Infrastructure: Roads vs. Railways?," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0021, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Ann F. Friedlaender & Ernst R. Berndt & Judy Shaw-Er Wang Chiang & Mark Showalter & Christopher A. Vellturo, 1991. "Rail Costs and Capital Adjustments in a Quasi-Regulated Environment," NBER Working Papers 3841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wilson, Wesley W, 1997. "Cost Savings and Productivity in the Railroad Industry," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 21-40, January.
- Andreas Andrikopoulos & John Loizides, 1998.
"Cost structure and productivity growth in European railway systems,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(12), pages 1625-1639.
- Andrikopoulos, A.A. & Loizides, J., 1997. "Cost Structure and Productivity Growth in European Railway System," DEOS Working Papers 97-03, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Andrikopoulos, A.A. & Loizides, J., 1997. "Cost Structure and Productivity Growth in European Railway System," Athens University of Economics and Business 97-03, Athens University of Economics and Business, Department of International and European Economic Studies.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2007. "Index Numbers," Economics working papers diewert-07-01-03-08-17-23, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 31 Jan 2007.
- Douglas W. Caves & Laurits R. Christensen & Joseph A. Swanson, 1981. "Economic Performance in Regulated and Unregulated Environments: A Comparison of U. S. and Canadian Railroads," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(4), pages 559-581.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & William Greene, 2006.
"Application Of Panel Data Models In Benchmarking Analysis Of The Electricity Distribution Sector ,"
Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 77(3), pages 271-290, September.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & William Greene, 2005. "Application of Panel Data Models in Benchmarking Analysis of the Electrivity Distribution Sector," CEPE Working paper series 05-39, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Swanson, Joseph A, 1981. "Productivity Growth, Scale Economies, and Capacity Utilization in U.S. Railroads, 1955-74," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 994-1002, December.
- Pedro Cantos & José Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 1999. "Productivity, efficiency and technical change in the European railways: A non-parametric approach," Transportation, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 337-357, November.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R, 1980. "The Relative Efficiency of Public and Private Firms in a Competitive Environment: The Case of Canadian Railroads," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 958-976, October.
- Oum, Tae H. & Tretheway, Michael W. & Waters, W. G., 1992. "Concepts, methods and purposes of productivity measurement in transportation," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 493-505, November.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- Greene, William, 2005. "Reconsidering heterogeneity in panel data estimators of the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 269-303, June.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-834 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dominique DEPRINS & Léopold SIMAR, 1989. "Estimating Technical Inefficiencies With Correction For Environmental Conditions," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 81-102, January.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stuart Holder & Helen Smith, 2012. "Privatization: Could the Benefits Seen in Other Network Industries be Realized in Postal Industries?," Chapters,in: Multi-Modal Competition and the Future of Mail, chapter 11 Edward Elgar Publishing.
More about this item
KeywordsRailways; Comparative Efficiency; Data Envelopment Analysis; Stochastic Frontier Analyisis; Malmquist Productivity Index; Train Operating Companies; Privatisation;
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L52 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Industrial Policy; Sectoral Planning Methods
- L92 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Railroads and Other Surface Transportation
- M21 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting; Personnel Economics - - Business Economics - - - Business Economics
- M48 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting; Personnel Economics - - Accounting - - - Government Policy and Regulation
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cgs:wpaper:28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pedro S. Martins). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/cgqmwuk.html .