Quality-oriented technical change in Japanese wheat breeding
The article presents a productivity analysis of Japanese wheat breeding research. We first estimate a hedonic function to determine the marginal implicit values of Japanese wheat characteristics and find that protein contributes substantially to millers' price offers to farmers. Induced innovation theory implies breeders thus should be responding to new protein-oriented price policies by developing high-protein wheat varieties. We test this hypothesis by estimating a distance function relating breeding resources - including what we call gene-recharge rates - to the yield and protein characteristics of discovered varieties. New varieties indeed have been protein-favoring and yield-disfavoring, suggesting government research programs have been market-oriented.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernhard Br�mmer & Thomas Glauben & Geert Thijssen, 2002. "Decomposition of Productivity Growth Using Distance Functions: The Case of Dairy Farms in Three European Countries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 628-644.
- Xavier Irz & Colin Thirtle, 2004. "Dual Technological Development in Botswana Agriculture: A Stochastic Input Distance Function Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 455-478.
- Grosskopf, S. & Hayes, K. & Hirschberg, J., 1995. "Fiscal stress and the production of public safety: A distance function approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 277-296, June.
- Stiegert, Kyle W. & Blanc, Jean-Pierre, 1997. "Japanese Demand For Wheat Protein Quantity And Quality," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(01), July.
- Dietz, James S. & Bozeman, Barry, 2005. "Academic careers, patents, and productivity: industry experience as scientific and technical human capital," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 349-367, April.
- Melinda Smale & Jason Hartell & Paul W. Heisey & Ben Senauer, 1998. "The Contribution of Genetic Resources and Diversity to Wheat Production in the Punjab of Pakistan," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 482-493.
- Evenson, R.E. & Gollin, D., 1994.
"Genetic Resources, International Organizations, and the Rice Varietal Improvement,"
713, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Evenson, Robert E & Gollin, Douglas, 1997. "Genetic Resources, International Organizations, and Improvement in Rice Varieties," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(3), pages 471-500, April.
- O'Donnell, Christopher J. & Coelli, Timothy J., 2005.
"A Bayesian approach to imposing curvature on distance functions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 493-523, June.
- Tim J. Coelli & Chris O'Donnell, 2003. "A Bayesian Approach To Imposing Curvature On Distance Functions," CEPA Working Papers Series WP032003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Colin G. Thirtle & David E. Schimmelpfennig & Robert E Townsend, 2002. "Induced Innovation in United States Agriculture, 1880–1990: Time Series Tests and an Error Correction Model," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 598-614.
- Salter, Ammon J. & Martin, Ben R., 2001. "The economic benefits of publicly funded basic research: a critical review," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 509-532, March.
- Grosskopf, S. & Margaritis, D. & Valdmanis, V., 1995. "Estimating output substitutability of hospital services: A distance function approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 575-587, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:respol:v:38:y:2009:i:8:p:1365-1375. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.