Rural electrification in India: Galilee Basin coal versus decentralised renewable energy micro grids
The state of Bihar in India has approximately 75 million people with no access to electricity. The government of India has pursued a policy of rural electrification through the provision of centralised coal-fired power which has been unable to resolve the low levels of electrification. Coal supply woes in India have led Indian companies to pursue new coal mines in Australia's Galilee Basin. The costs of these mining ventures will be high due to the mining infrastructure required and long transport distances to rural India. A high level analysis of mining, transport and power station investment to meet rural demand in Bihar shows that the absolute investment requirement using coal, especially coal sourced from Australia, as an expensive option. Pursuing electrification through village level, renewable energy micro-systems provides more flexibility. Pollution costs associated with coal-fired generation, employment benefits associated with many village implementations and a rural load unsupported by industry load, show a benefit associated with decentralised, renewable energy electrification.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zubair Sadeque & Dana Rysankova & Raihan Elahi & Ruchi Soni, 2014. "Scaling Up Access to Electricity : The Case of Bangladesh," World Bank Other Operational Studies 18679, The World Bank.
- Olatomiwa, Lanre & Mekhilef, Saad & Huda, A.S.N. & Ohunakin, Olayinka S., 2015. "Economic evaluation of hybrid energy systems for rural electrification in six geo-political zones of Nigeria," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 83(C), pages 435-446.
- Glemarec, Yannick, 2012. "Financing off-grid sustainable energy access for the poor," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 47(S1), pages 87-93.
- Paul Simshauser & Phillip Wild, 2009.
"The Western Australian Power Dilemma ,"
Australian Economic Papers,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 342-369, December.
- Paul Edward Simshauser & Phillip Wild, 2009. "The Western Australian Power Dilemma," Energy Economics and Management Group Working Papers 2-2009, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- K. Shanmugam, 2000. "Valuations of Life and Injury Risks," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 16(4), pages 379-389, August.
- John Foster & Liam Wagner & Alexandra Bratanova, 2014. "LCOE models: A comparison of the theoretical frameworks and key assumptions," Energy Economics and Management Group Working Papers 4-2014, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Bhattacharyya, Subhes C., 2006. "Energy access problem of the poor in India: Is rural electrification a remedy?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3387-3397, December.
- S. Madheswaran, 2007. "Measuring the value of statistical life: estimating compensating wage differentials among workers in India," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 84(1), pages 83-96, October.
- Nouni, M.R. & Mullick, S.C. & Kandpal, T.C., 2009. "Providing electricity access to remote areas in India: Niche areas for decentralized electricity supply," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 430-434.
- Liam Wagner & John Foster, 2011. "Is There an Optimal Entry Time for Carbon Capture and Storage? A Case Study for Australia's National Electricity Market," Energy Economics and Management Group Working Papers 07, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Mahapatra, Diptiranjan & Shukla, Priyadarshi & Dhar, Subash, 2012. "External cost of coal based electricity generation: A tale of Ahmedabad city," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 253-265.
- AfDB AfDB, . "Zambia Country Office Annual Report 2012," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 975.
- AfDB AfDB, . "Annual Report 2012 (Arabic Version)," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 462.
- [multiple or corporate authorship]., 2014. "CASE annual report 2013," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 58040, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Tampakis, Stilianos & Τsantopoulos, Georgios & Arabatzis, Garyfallos & Rerras, Ioannis, 2013. "Citizens’ views on various forms of energy and their contribution to the environment," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 20(C), pages 473-482.
- AfDB AfDB, . "Annual Report 2012," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 461.
- Bhattacharyya, Subhes C. & Ohiare, Sanusi, 2012. "The Chinese electricity access model for rural electrification: Approach, experience and lessons for others," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 676-687.
- Purwanto, Widodo Wahyu & Pratama, Yoga Wienda & Nugroho, Yulianto Sulistyo & Warjito, & Hertono, Gatot Fatwanto & Hartono, Djoni & Deendarlianto, & Tezuka, Tetsuo, 2015. "Multi-objective optimization model for sustainable Indonesian electricity system: Analysis of economic, environment, and adequacy of energy sources," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 81(C), pages 308-318.
- Alexandra Niez, 2010. "Comparative Study on Rural Electrification Policies in Emerging Economies: Keys to successful policies," IEA Energy Papers 2010/3, OECD Publishing.
- Bhattacharyya, Subhes C., 2015. "Mini-grid based electrification in Bangladesh: Technical configuration and business analysis," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 75(C), pages 745-761.
- Simon, Nathalie B. & Cropper, Maureen L. & Alberini, Anna & Arora, Seema, 1999. "Valuing mortality reductions in India : a study of compensating wage differentials," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2078, The World Bank.
- AfDB AfDB, . "Annual Report 2012 (Portuguese Version)," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 463.
- Kruckenberg, Lena J., 2015. "Renewable energy partnerships in development cooperation: Towards a relational understanding of technical assistance," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 77(C), pages 11-20.
- WorldFish, 2013. "Annual report 2012/13," Working Papers, The WorldFish Center, number 40306, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:renene:v:89:y:2016:i:c:p:422-436. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.