Urban economic base as a catalyst for movements in real estate prices
We examine the relation between housing prices in an MSA and its urban economic base. We create and employ new forward-looking employment growth indices that measure the urban economic strength of an MSA and find that it accounts for a significant and sizeable portion of the house price movements in that MSA. We argue that the forward looking measure is an indicator of future agglomeration growth for the MSAs. We further partition the urban economic growth into growth by various industries and track the attribution of their growth to housing prices over time. We find that for some MSAs, home prices are driven by the same set of industries over time, whereas for others, home prices are driven by a totally new set of industries in the later quarters, due to the birth of new industries. We also analyze the impact of the diversification of an urban economic base on home price volatility and observe that diversification decreases home price volatility. The result has larger implications for urban policymakers in selecting the appropriate type of industries relative to their existing mix of industries.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, Scott J. & Coulson, N. Edward & Engle, Robert F., 1992. "On the determination of regional base and regional base multipliers," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 619-635, November.
- Glaeser, Edward L. & Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2010.
"Urban economics and entrepreneurship,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko, 2001.
"Urban Decline and Durable Housing,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1931, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko, . "Urban Decline and Durable Housing," Zell/Lurie Center Working Papers 382, Wharton School Samuel Zell and Robert Lurie Real Estate Center, University of Pennsylvania.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko, 2001. "Urban Decline and Durable Housing," NBER Working Papers 8598, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hwang, Min & Quigley, John M., 2006.
"Economic Fundamentals in Local Housing Markets: Evidence from U.S. Metropolitan Regions,"
Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series
qt79d325cm, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Min Hwang & John M. Quigley, 2006. "Economic Fundamentals In Local Housing Markets: Evidence From U.S. Metropolitan Regions," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 425-453.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Matthew G. Resseger, 2010. "The Complementarity Between Cities And Skills," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 221-244.
- Stephen Malpezzi, 1998.
"A Simple Error Correction Model of House Prices,"
Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers
98-11, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- George W. Hammond & Eric Thompson, 2004. "Employment Risk in U.S. Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Regions: the Influence of Industrial Specialization and Population Characteristics," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 517-542.
- Thomas H. Klier, 2006. "Where the Headquarters Are: Location Patterns of Large Public Companies, 1990-2000," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 20(2), pages 117-128, May.
- Donald R. Haurin & Stuart S. Rosenthal, 2007.
"The Influence of Household Formation on Homeownership Rates Across Time and Race,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 35(4), pages 411-450, December.
- Donald Haurin & Stuart Rosenthal, 2007. "The Influence of Household Formation on Homeownership Rates across Time and Race," Working Papers 07-01, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Dennis R. Capozza & Patric H. Hendershott & Charlotte Mack & Christopher J. Mayer, 2002. "Determinants of Real House Price Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 9262, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerald A. Carlino & Robert H. DeFina & Keith Sill, 2000.
"Sectoral shocks and metropolitan employment growth,"
00-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Carlino, Gerald A. & DeFina, Robert H. & Sill, Keith, 2001. "Sectoral Shocks and Metropolitan Employment Growth," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 396-417, November.
- Coulson, N. Edward, 1999. "Sectoral sources of metropolitan growth," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 723-743, November.
- Joshua D. Coval & Tobias J. Moskowitz, 1999. "Home Bias at Home: Local Equity Preference in Domestic Portfolios," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(6), pages 2045-2073, December.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- William A. Testa, 2006. "Headquarters Research and Implications for Local Development," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 20(2), pages 111-116, May.
- Neumann, George R & Topel, Robert H, 1991. "Employment Risk, Diversification, and Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1341-65, November.
- Gordon W. Crawford & Michael C. Fratantoni, 2003. "Assessing the Forecasting Performance of Regime-Switching, ARIMA and GARCH Models of House Prices," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 31(2), pages 223-243, 06.
- Norman Miller & Liang Peng, 2006. "Exploring Metropolitan Housing Price Volatility," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 5-18, August.
- Albert Saiz, 2010. "The Geographic Determinants of Housing Supply," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 125(3), pages 1253-1296, August.
- G. Donald Jud & Dan T. Winkler, 2002. "The Dynamics of Metropolitan Housing Prices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 23(1/2), pages 29-46.
- Joshua Gallin, 2006. "The Long-Run Relationship between House Prices and Income: Evidence from Local Housing Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 34(3), pages 417-438, 09.
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2004. "Evidence on the nature and sources of agglomeration economies," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2119-2171 Elsevier.
- Yukako Ono, 2006. "What Do Census Data Tell Us About Headquarters Location?," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 20(2), pages 129-141, May.
- D.R. Capozza & C. Mack & P.H. Hendershott & C.J. Mayer, 2002. "The Determinants of House Price Dynamics," ERES eres2002_106, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:regeco:v:43:y:2013:i:6:p:1023-1040. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.