Distribution channel strategies in a mixed market
This paper studies equilibrium channel strategies in a mixed market with a public firm and a private firm. The public firm is concerned with social welfare, while the private firm aims to maximize its own profit. Each firm decides whether to adopt an integrated or a decentralized channel. We examine two standard market competition modes, Bertrand and Cournot. Within each competition mode, we consider two typical vertical contracts, wholesale-price and two-part tariff contracts. Our results suggest that equilibrium channel structures depend on the market competition mode, the vertical contract form, and the level of product substitutability. Specifically, the channel strategy of the private firm depends mainly on the vertical contract form: under a two-part tariff contract, the private firm always chooses decentralization; under a wholesale-price contract, the private firm chooses integration for most scenarios except for highly substitutable products under Bertrand competition (i.e., under very intense competition). The channel strategy of the public firm depends mainly on the competition mode: under Bertrand competition, the public firm always chooses decentralization; under Cournot competition, the public firm always chooses the opposite of the private firm׳s strategy.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 162 (2015)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K. Sridhar Moorthy, 1988. "Strategic Decentralization in Channels," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(4), pages 335-355.
- Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1997.
"Privatization and efficiency in a differentiated industry,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 1635-1654, December.
- ANDERSON, S. P. & de PALMA, A. & THISSE, J.-F., "undated". "Privatization and efficiency in a differentiated industry," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1298, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anderson, S.P. & de Palma, A. & Thisse, J.F., 1995. "Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry," Papers 9505, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- ANDERSON, Simon & de PALMA, André & THISSE, Jacques-François, 1996. "Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry," CORE Discussion Papers 1996045, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- de Palma, André & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1995. "Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 1136, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Scrimitore, Marcella, 2014. "Quantity competition vs. price competition under optimal subsidy in a mixed oligopoly," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 166-176.
- Kato, Kazuhiko & Tomaru, Yoshihiro, 2007. "Mixed oligopoly, privatization, subsidization, and the order of firms' moves: Several types of objectives," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 287-292, August.
- Yunchuan Liu & Rajeev K. Tyagi, 2011. "The Benefits of Competitive Upward Channel Decentralization," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 57(4), pages 741-751, April.
- Victor J. Tremblay & Carol Horton Tremblay & Kosin Isariyawongse, 2013. "Cournot and Bertrand Competition when Advertising Rotates Demand: The Case of Honda and Scion," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(1), pages 125-141, February.
- Anderson, Edward J. & Bao, Yong, 2010. "Price competition with integrated and decentralized supply chains," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(1), pages 227-234, January.
- Jianqiang Zhang & Weijun Zhong & Shue Mei, 2012. "Competitive effects of informative advertising in distribution channels," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 561-584, September.
- Gautam Gowrisankaran & Aviv Nevo & Robert Town, 2015. "Mergers When Prices Are Negotiated: Evidence from the Hospital Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 105(1), pages 172-203, January.
- Gautam Gowrisankaran & Aviv Nevo & Robert Town, 2013. "Mergers When Prices are Negotiated: Evidence from the Hospital Industry," NBER Working Papers 18875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Preyas Desai & Oded Koenigsberg & Devavrat Purohit, 2004. "Strategic Decentralization and Channel Coordination," Quantitative Marketing and Economics (QME), Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 5-22, March.
- Timothy W. McGuire & Richard Staelin, 1983. "An Industry Equilibrium Analysis of Downstream Vertical Integration," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(2), pages 161-191.
- Koji Ishibashi & Toyokazu Kaneko, 2008. "Partial privatization in mixed duopoly with price and quality competition," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 95(3), pages 213-231, December.
- Xiao, Tiaojun & Choi, Tsan-Ming, 2009. "Purchasing choices and channel structure strategies for a two-echelon system with risk-averse players," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 54-65, July.
- Krishnan Anand & Ravi Anupindi & Yehuda Bassok, 2008. "Strategic Inventories in Vertical Contracts," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(10), pages 1792-1804, October.
- Bennett, John & La Manna, Manfredi, 2012. "Mixed oligopoly, public firm behavior, and free private entry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(3), pages 767-769.
- Yong-Wu Zhou & Zong-Hong Cao, 2014. "Equilibrium structures of two supply chains with price and displayed-quantity competition," Journal of the Operational Research Society, Palgrave Macmillan;The OR Society, vol. 65(10), pages 1544-1554, October.
- Salvatore Piccolo & Markus Reisinger, 2011. "Exclusive Territories and Manufacturers' Collusion," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 57(7), pages 1250-1266, July.
- Salvatore Piccolo & Markus Reisinger, 2010. "Exclusive Territories and Manufacturers’ Collusion," CSEF Working Papers 249, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 22 Feb 2011.
- Ghosh, Arghya & Mitra, Manipushpak, 2010. "Comparing Bertrand and Cournot in mixed markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 72-74, November.
- Yoshihiro Tomaru & Masayuki Saito, 2010. "Mixed Duopoly, Privatization And Subsidization In An Endogenous Timing Framework," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 78(1), pages 41-59, January.
- Arup Bose & Barnali Gupta, 2013. "Mixed markets in bilateral monopoly," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 110(2), pages 141-164, October.
- Eunkyu Lee & Richard Staelin, 1997. "Vertical Strategic Interaction: Implications for Channel Pricing Strategy," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(3), pages 185-207.
- Cao, Wen & Jiang, Bo & Zhou, Deming, 2010. "The effects of demand uncertainty on channel structure," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(3), pages 1471-1488, December.
- Wang, Leonard F.S. & Lee, Jen-yao & Hsu, Chu-chuan, 2014. "Privatization, foreign competition, and social efficiency of free entry," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 138-147.
- Xuan Zhao & Derek Atkins & Yong Liu, 2009. "Effects of distribution channel structure in markets with vertically differentiated products," Quantitative Marketing and Economics (QME), Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 377-397, December.
- Minakshi Trivedi, 1998. "Distribution Channels: An Extension of Exclusive Retailership," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(7), pages 896-909, July.
- Chih-Jen Wang & Ying-Ju Chen & Chi-Cheng Wu, 2011. "Advertising competition and industry channel structure," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 79-99, March.
- Wei-yu Kevin Chiang & Dilip Chhajed & James D. Hess, 2003. "Direct Marketing, Indirect Profits: A Strategic Analysis of Dual-Channel Supply-Chain Design," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Anil Arya & Brian Mittendorf, 2006. "Benefits of Channel Discord in the Sale of Durable Goods," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(1), pages 91-96, 01-02.
- de Jong, A. & Nguyen, T.T. & van Dijk, M.A., 2007. "Strategic Debt: Evidence from Bertrand and Cournot Competition," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2007-057-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Abe de Jong & Thuy Thu Nguyen & Mathijs A. van Dijk, 2008. "Strategic Debt: Evidence from Bertrand and Cournot Competition," Working Papers 11, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Vasileios Zikos, 2010. "R&D Collaboration Networks in Mixed Oligopoly," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 189-212, July.
- Vasileios Zikos, 2008. "R&D Collaboration Networks in Mixed Oligopoly," Working Papers 2008.25, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Khouja, Moutaz & Park, Sungjune & Cai, Gangshu (George), 2010. "Channel selection and pricing in the presence of retail-captive consumers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 84-95, May.
- Nirvikar Singh & Xavier Vives, 1984. "Price and Quantity Competition in a Differentiated Duopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 546-554, Winter.
- White, Mark D., 1996. "Mixed oligopoly, privatization and subsidization," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 189-195, November.
- John S. Heywood & Guangliang Ye, 2009. "Mixed Oligopoly, Sequential Entry, And Spatial Price Discrimination," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 47(3), pages 589-597, July.
- Glaeser, Edward L. & Scheinkman, Jose A., 1996. "The Transition to Free Markets: Where to Begin Privatization," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 23-42, February.
- Leonard Wang & Tai-Liang Chen, 2010. "Do cost efficiency gap and foreign competitors matter concerning optimal privatization policy at the free entry market?," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 100(1), pages 33-49, May.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Osamu Kanda, 2005. "Mixed Oligopoly at Free Entry Markets," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 84(1), pages 27-48, February.
- Li, Changying & Zhang, Jianhu, 2011. "Equilibrium locations in a mixed duopoly with sequential entry in real time," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1211-1218, May.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro & Sunada, Takeaki, 2013. "Advertising competition in a mixed oligopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 183-185.
- Sridhar Balasubramanian, 1998. "Mail versus Mall: A Strategic Analysis of Competition between Direct Marketers and Conventional Retailers," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(3), pages 181-195.
- Ishibashi, Ikuo & Matsumura, Toshihiro, 2006. "R&D competition between public and private sectors," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1347-1366, August.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Yoshihiro Tomaru, 2013. "Mixed duopoly, privatization, and subsidization with excess burden of taxation," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 46(2), pages 526-554, May.
- de Fraja, Giovanni & Delbono, Flavio, 1990. " Game Theoretic Models of Mixed Oligopoly," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(1), pages 1-17.
- Fjell, Kenneth & Heywood, John S., 2004. "Mixed oligopoly, subsidization and the order of firm's moves: the relevance of privatization," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 411-416, June.
- Scrimitore, Marcella, 2013. "Price or quantity? The strategic choice of subsidized firms in a mixed duopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 118(2), pages 337-341.
- Francine Lafontaine & Fiona Scott Morton, 2010. "Markets: State Franchise Laws, Dealer Terminations, and the Auto Crisis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 233-250, Summer.
- Pradeep Bhardwaj & Sridhar Balasubramanian, 2005. "Managing Channel Profits: The Role of Managerial Incentives," Quantitative Marketing and Economics (QME), Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 247-279, September.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro & Ogawa, Akira, 2012. "Price versus quantity in a mixed duopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 174-177.
- Stefan Lutz & Mario Pezzino, 2014. "Vertically Differentiated Mixed Oligopoly with Quality-dependent Fixed Costs," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 82(5), pages 596-619, September.
- Sarang Deo & Charles J. Corbett, 2009. "Cournot Competition Under Yield Uncertainty: The Case of the U.S. Influenza Vaccine Market," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 11(4), pages 563-576, July.
- Ordover, Janusz & Shaffer, Greg, 2007. "Wholesale access in multi-firm markets: When is it profitable to supply a competitor?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 1026-1045, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:162:y:2015:i:c:p:13-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.