Combining decision tree and MAUT for selecting a country for a global manufacturing facility
The paper presents a multi-phase approach for selecting a country in which to locate a global manufacturing facility. An influence diagram is used to frame the decision. A decision tree then analyzes uncertainties regarding cost and generates a risk profile. The risk profile becomes one of the measures in an MAUT model that incorporate a wide range of factors. This sequential approach of using the output from a decision tree as input to MAUT is demonstrated with an example involving an auto supplier locating a new plant in one of five countries. Three decision makers were interviewed to determine the weights and the shape of the individual utility curves. The paper identifies, clearly defines, and incorporates a variety of measures for which national data are readily available. This list is broader and less subjective when compared to other examples reported in the literature.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 35 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Killmer, K. A. & Anandalingam, G. & Malcolm, S. A., 2001. "Siting noxious facilities under uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 133(3), pages 596-607, September.
- Ralph L. Keeney, 1973. "A Decision Analysis with Multiple Objectives: the Mexico City Airport," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 101-117, Spring.
- Ralph L. Keeney & Timothy L. McDaniels, 1992. "Value-Focused Thinking about Strategic Decisions at BC Hydro," Interfaces, INFORMS, vol. 22(6), pages 94-109, December.
- Melachrinoudis, Emanuel & Min, Hokey, 2000. "The dynamic relocation and phase-out of a hybrid, two-echelon plant/warehousing facility: A multiple objective approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 1-15, May.
- Owen, Susan Hesse & Daskin, Mark S., 1998. "Strategic facility location: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(3), pages 423-447, December.
- Donald L. Keefer & Samuel E. Bodily, 1983. "Three-Point Approximations for Continuous Random Variables," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(5), pages 595-609, May.
- Yurimoto, Shigeru & Masui, Tadayuki, 1995. "Design of a decision support system for overseas plant location in the EC," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-3), pages 411-418, October.
- Goetschalckx, Marc & Vidal, Carlos J. & Dogan, Koray, 2002. "Modeling and design of global logistics systems: A review of integrated strategic and tactical models and design algorithms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 1-18, November.
- Lowe, Timothy J. & Wendell, Richard E. & Hu, Gang, 2002. "Screening location strategies to reduce exchange rate risk," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 136(3), pages 573-590, February.
- Badri, Masood A., 1999. "Combining the analytic hierarchy process and goal programming for global facility location-allocation problem," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 237-248, September.
- Ralph L. Keeney & Timothy L. McDaniels, 1999. "Identifying and Structuring Values to Guide Integrated Resource Planning at BC Gas," Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 47(5), pages 651-662, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:35:y:2007:i:3:p:312-325. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.