Indirect elicitation of non-linear multi-attribute utility functions. A dual procedure combined with DEA
This paper proposes a non-interactive method to elicit non-linear multi-attribute utility functions which is based on duality results. The idea is to obtain a utility function which is compatible with the observed behavior of decision makers. The paper builds on a previous work by André and Riesgo [A non-interactive method to elicit non-linear multi-attribute utility functions. Theory and application to agricultural economics. European Journal of Operational Research 2008;181:793-807] but it eliminates an important shortcoming: the necessity to have an analytical expression of the efficient set or an estimation of it. The alternative approach presented in this paper consists in using a method of projection onto the true efficient set, based on data envelopment analysis (DEA). In a simulation exercise we check the ability of the method to recover true preference parameters in the presence of errors made by decision makers.
Volume (Year): 37 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gomez-Limon, J. A. & Berbel, J., 2000. "Multicriteria analysis of derived water demand functions: a Spanish case study," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 49-72, January.
- Jiménez, Antonio & Mateos, Alfonso & Ríos-Insua, Sixto, 2009. "Missing consequences in multiattribute utility theory," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 395-410, April.
- Brugha, Cathal M., 2004. "Phased multicriteria preference finding," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 158(2), pages 308-316, October.
- Tiwari, D. N. & Loof, R. & Paudyal, G. N., 1999. "Environmental-economic decision-making in lowland irrigated agriculture using multi-criteria analysis techniques," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 99-112, May.
- P. L. Yu, 1973. "A Class of Solutions for Group Decision Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(8), pages 936-946, April.
- Canbolat, Yavuz Burak & Chelst, Kenneth & Garg, Nitin, 2007. "Combining decision tree and MAUT for selecting a country for a global manufacturing facility," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 312-325, June.
- Sumpsi, JoseMaria & Amador, Francisco & Romero, Carlos, 1997. "On farmers' objectives: A multi-criteria approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 64-71, January.
- Johri, Pravin K., 1994. "Derivation of duality in mathematical programming and optimization theory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 547-554, March.
- Johri, Pravin K., 1993. "Implied constraints and a unified theory of duality in linear and nonlinear programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 61-69, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:37:y:2009:i:4:p:883-895. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.