Axial solutions for multiple objective linear problems. An application to target setting in DEA models with preferences
In this paper we introduce the class of axial solutions for multiple objective optimization problems in contexts in which partial information on preference weights is available. These solutions combine the use of an improvement axis to direct the search of the most preferred result with the concept of efficiency with respect to preference information. In addition, we show how this solution is used in data envelopment analysis in order to set realistic targets in accordance with either the partially specified preferences of a single decision maker, or the different individual preference information provided by the members of a group of decision makers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Hansen, Pierre & Labbe, Martine & Wendell, Richard E., 1989. "Sensitivity analysis in multiple objective linear programming: The tolerance approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 63-69, January.
- Chun, Youngsub, 1988. "The proportional solution for rights problems," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 231-246, June.
- M. Halme & P. Korhonen, 1998.
"Restricting Weights in Value Efficiency Analysis,"
ir98104, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Huang, Z. M. & Sun, D. B., 1990. "Polyhedral Cone-Ratio DEA Models with an illustrative application to large commercial banks," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 73-91.
- Doyle, J & Green, R, 1993. "Data envelopment analysis and multiple criteria decision making," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 713-715, November.
- Weber, Martin, 1987. "Decision making with incomplete information," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 44-57, January.
- Stewart, Theodor J., 2010. "Goal directed benchmarking for organizational efficiency," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 534-539, December.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Ehud Kalai, 1977.
"Proportional Solutions to Bargaining Situations: Interpersonal Utility Comparisons,"
179, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Kalai, Ehud, 1977. "Proportional Solutions to Bargaining Situations: Interpersonal Utility Comparisons," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(7), pages 1623-30, October.
- Merja Halme & Tarja Joro & Pekka Korhonen & Seppo Salo & Jyrki Wallenius, 1999. "A Value Efficiency Approach to Incorporating Preference Information in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(1), pages 103-115, January.
- André, Francisco J., 2009.
"Indirect elicitation of non-linear multi-attribute utility functions. A dual procedure combined with DEA,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 883-895, August.
- Francisco J. André, 2007. "Indirect Elicitation of Non-Linear Multiattribute Utility Functions. A Dual Procedure Combined with DEA," Working Papers 07.02, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- André, Francisco J. & Herrero, Inés & Riesgo, Laura, 2010. "A modified DEA model to estimate the importance of objectives with an application to agricultural economics," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 371-382, October.
- Richard E. Wendell, 2004. "Tolerance Sensitivity and Optimality Bounds in Linear Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(6), pages 797-803, June.
- Richard E. Wendell, 1985. "The Tolerance Approach to Sensitivity Analysis in Linear Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(5), pages 564-578, May.
- Marmol, A. M. & Puerto, J., 1997. "Special cases of the tolerance approach in multiobjective linear programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 610-616, May.
- Marmol, Amparo M. & Puerto, Justo & Fernandez, Francisco R., 2002. "Sequential incorporation of imprecise information in multiple criteria decision processes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 123-133, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:39:y:2011:i:2:p:159-167. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.