Ranking Intervals and Dominance Relations for Ratio-Based Efficiency Analysis
We develop comparative results for ratio-based efficiency analysis (REA) based on the decision-making units' (DMUs') relative efficiencies over sets of feasible weights that characterize preferences for input and output variables. Specifically, we determine (i) ranking intervals, which indicate the best and worst efficiency rankings that a DMU can attain relative to other DMUs; (ii) dominance relations, which show what other DMUs a given DMU dominates in pairwise efficiency comparisons; and (iii) efficiency bounds, which show how much more efficient a given DMU can be relative to some other DMU or a subset of other DMUs. Unlike conventional efficiency scores, these results are insensitive to outlier DMUs. They also show how the DMUs' efficiency ratios relate to each other for all feasible weights, rather than for those weights only for which the data envelopment analysis (DEA) efficiency score of some DMU is maximized. We illustrate the usefulness of these results by revisiting reported DEA studies and by describing a recent case study on the efficiency comparison of university departments. This paper was accepted by Teck-Hua Ho, decision analysis.
Volume (Year): 57 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Köksalan, Murat & Büyükbasaran, Tayyar & Özpeynirci, Özgür & Wallenius, Jyrki, 2010. "A flexible approach to ranking with an application to MBA Programs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(2), pages 470-476, March.
- James S. Dyer, 1990. "Remarks on the Analytic Hierarchy Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(3), pages 249-258, March.
- Tarja Joro & Pekka Korhonen & Jyrki Wallenius, 1998. "Structural Comparison of Data Envelopment Analysis and Multiple Objective Linear Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(7), pages 962-970, July.
- Pekka Korhonen & Margareta Soismaa & Aapo Siljamäki, 2002. "On the Use of Value Efficiency Analysis and Some Further Developments," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 49-64, January.
- Merja Halme & Tarja Joro & Pekka Korhonen & Seppo Salo & Jyrki Wallenius, 1999. "A Value Efficiency Approach to Incorporating Preference Information in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(1), pages 103-115, January.
- Salo, Ahti A., 1995. "Interactive decision aiding for group decision support," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 134-149, July.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Huang, Z. M. & Sun, D. B., 1990. "Polyhedral Cone-Ratio DEA Models with an illustrative application to large commercial banks," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 73-91.
- Halme, Merja & Korhonen, Pekka, 2000.
"Restricting weights in value efficiency analysis,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 175-188, October.
- M. Halme & P. Korhonen, 1998. "Restricting Weights in Value Efficiency Analysis," Working Papers ir98104, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Korhonen, Pekka & Tainio, Risto & Wallenius, Jyrki, 2001. "Value efficiency analysis of academic research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 121-132, April.
- P. Korhonen & R. Tainio & J. Wallenius, 1998. "Value Efficiency Analysis of Academic Research," Working Papers ir98032, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- R. Allen & A. Athanassopoulos & R.G. Dyson & E. Thanassoulis, 1997. "Weights restrictions and value judgements in Data Envelopment Analysis: Evolution, development and future directions," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 73(0), pages 13-34, October.
- Avkiran, Necmi K. & Parker, Barnett R., 2010. "Pushing the DEA research envelope," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-7, March.
- Loren Tauer & Harold Fried & William Fry, 2007. "Measuring Efficiencies of Academic Departments within a College," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 473-489.
- Zhu, Joe, 1996. "Robustness of the efficient DMUs in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 451-460, May.
- Johnes, Jill, 2006. "Data envelopment analysis and its application to the measurement of efficiency in higher education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 273-288, June.
- James S. Dyer, 1990. "A Clarification of "Remarks on the Analytic Hierarchy Process"," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(3), pages 274-275, March.
- Podinovski, Victor V., 2001. "DEA models for the explicit maximisation of relative efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 131(3), pages 572-586, June.
- Thompson, Russell G. & Langemeier, Larry N. & Lee, Chih-Tah & Lee, Euntaik & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "The role of multiplier bounds in efficiency analysis with application to Kansas farming," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 93-108.
- Dyson, R. G. & Allen, R. & Camanho, A. S. & Podinovski, V. V. & Sarrico, C. S. & Shale, E. A., 2001. "Pitfalls and protocols in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 245-259, July.
- Talluri, Srinivas & Paul Yoon, K., 2000. "A cone-ratio DEA approach for AMT justification," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 119-129, June.
- Emrouznejad, Ali & Parker, Barnett R. & Tavares, Gabriel, 2008. "Evaluation of research in efficiency and productivity: A survey and analysis of the first 30 years of scholarly literature in DEA," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 151-157, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:57:y:2011:i:1:p:200-214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.