Pushing the DEA research envelope
This brief article first investigates key dimensions underlying the progress realized by data envelopment analysis (DEA) methodologies. The resulting perspective is then used to encourage reflection on future paths for the field. Borrowing from the social sciences literature, we distinguish between problematization and gap identification in suggesting strategies to push the DEA research envelope. Emerging evidence of a declining number of influential methodological (theory)-based publications, and a flattening diffusion of applications imply an unfolding maturity of the field. Such findings suggest that focusing on known limitations of DEA, and/or of its applications, while searching for synergistic partnerships with other methodologies, can create new and fertile grounds for research. Possible future directions might thus include 'DEA in practice', 'opening the black-box of production,' 'rationalizing inefficiency,' and 'the productivity dilemma.' What we are therefore proposing is a strengthening of the methodology's contribution to fields of endeavor both including, and beyond, those considered in the past.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajiv D. Banker & Richard C. Morey, 1986. "The Use of Categorical Variables in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(12), pages 1613-1627, December.
- Sherman, H. David & Gold, Franklin, 1985. "Bank branch operating efficiency : Evaluation with Data Envelopment Analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 297-315, June.
- Emrouznejad, Ali & Parker, Barnett R. & Tavares, Gabriel, 2008. "Evaluation of research in efficiency and productivity: A survey and analysis of the first 30 years of scholarly literature in DEA," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 151-157, September.
- Cooper, William W. & McAlister, Leigh, 1999. "Can research be basic and applied? You bet. It better be for B-schools!," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 257-276, December.
- Glover, Fred & Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki, 2009. "Contributions of Professor William W. Cooper in Operations Research and Management Science," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 197(1), pages 1-16, August.
- Jati Sengupta, 2000. "Efficiency analysis by stochastic data envelopment analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(6), pages 379-383.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & E. Rhodes, 1981. "Evaluating Program and Managerial Efficiency: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Program Follow Through," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(6), pages 668-697, June.
- Rajiv D. Banker, 1993. "Maximum Likelihood, Consistency and Data Envelopment Analysis: A Statistical Foundation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1265-1273, October.
- Parisa Hosseini Ardehali & Joseph C. Paradi & Mette Asmild, 2005. "Assessing Financial Risk Tolerance Of Portfolio Investors Using Data Envelopment Analysis," International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making (IJITDM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 4(03), pages 491-519.
- Cook, Wade D. & Seiford, Larry M., 2009. "Data envelopment analysis (DEA) - Thirty years on," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Sheth, Chintan & Triantis, Konstantinos & Teodorovic, Dusan, 2007. "Performance evaluation of bus routes: A provider and passenger perspective," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 453-478, July.
- Cook, Wade D. & Zhu, Joe, 2006. "Rank order data in DEA: A general framework," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(2), pages 1021-1038, October.
- Wagner A. Kamakura, 1988. "Note---A Note on "The Use of Categorical Variables in Data Envelopment Analysis"," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(10), pages 1273-1276, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:44:y:2010:i:1:p:1-7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.