Agriculture reform and food crisis in Syria: Impacts on poverty and inequality
The paper pursues a twofold objective. From a methodological viewpoint it shows how to carry out an impacts evaluation of exogenous shocks on poverty and inequality in a context characterised by out-of-equilibrium, poorly-adjusting markets, as it is the case in many developing countries, using a social accounting matrix framework. From an empirical viewpoint it provides an assessment of how the cereal price spikes of 2007–2008 and the global recession of 2008–2009 have impacted the welfare of Syrian households and how did they compound with the on-going agricultural sector liberalisation implemented by the Government of Syria since mid 1990s. This will contribute to shed some lights on the economic background behind the spreading of unrest across the country over the last couple of years or so.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arvind Panagariya, 2005. "Agricultural Liberalisation and the Least Developed Countries: Six Fallacies," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(9), pages 1277-1299, 09.
- Minot, Nicholas & Chemingui, Mohamed & Thomas, Marcelle & Dewina, Reno & Orden, David, 2007. "Impact of trade liberalization on agriculture in the near East and North Africa:," IFPRI books, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), number Nenatrade:2007.
- Anderson, Kym, 2010.
"Krueger/Schiff/Valdes revisited : agricultural price and trade policy reform in developing countries since 1960,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5165, The World Bank.
- Anderson, Kym, 2009. "Krueger/Schiff/Valdés Revisited: Agricultural Price and Trade Policy Reform in Developing Countries since 1960," CEPR Discussion Papers 7601, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kym Anderson, 2010. "Krueger/Schiff/Valdes Revisited: Agricultural Price and Trade Policy Reform in Developing Countries since 1960," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2010-04, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Krueger, Anne O & Schiff, Maurice & Valdes, Alberto, 1988. "Agricultural Incentives in Developing Countries: Measuring the Effect of Sectoral and Economywide Policies," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 2(3), pages 255-71, September.
- Frank Ellis & H Ade Freeman, 2004. "Rural Livelihoods and Poverty Reduction Strategies in Four African Countries," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(4), pages 1-30.
- Lewis, Blane D. & Thorbecke, Erik, 1992. "District-level economic linkages in Kenya: Evidence based on a small regional social accounting matrix," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 881-897, June.
- Ann Harrison, 2007. "Globalization and Poverty: An Introduction," NBER Chapters, in: Globalization and Poverty, pages 1-32 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Valenzuela, Ernesto & van der Mensbrugghe, Dominique & Anderson, Kym, 2008. "General equilibrium effects of price distortions on global markets, farm incomes and welfare," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48630, World Bank.
- Schiff, Maurice & Valdes, Alberto, 2002. "Agriculture and the macroeconomy, with emphasis on developing countries," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 27, pages 1421-1454 Elsevier.
- Margaret S. McMillan & Alix Peterson Zwane & Nava Ashraf, 2007.
"My Policies or Yours: Does OECD Support for Agriculture Increase Poverty in Developing Countries?,"
in: Globalization and Poverty, pages 183-240
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Margaret McMillan & Alix Peterson Zwane & Nava Ashraf, 2005. "My Policies or Yours: Does OECD Support for Agriculture Increase Poverty in Developing Countries?," NBER Working Papers 11289, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roland-Holst, D.W. & Sancho, F., 1991.
"Modeling Proces in a Sam Structure,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
189.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Benedetto Rocchi & Donato Romano & Gianluca Stefani, 2005. "Distributive impacts of alternative agricultural policies: A SAM-based analysis for Italy," Cahiers d'Economie et Sociologie Rurales, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 77, pages 85-112.
- International Monetary Fund, 2010. "Syrian Arab Republic; 2009 Article IV Consultation: Staff Report; and Public Information Notice," IMF Staff Country Reports 10/86, International Monetary Fund.
- Roland-Holst, David W & Sancho, Ferran, 1992.
"Relative Income Determination in the United States: A Social Accounting Perspective,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 38(3), pages 311-27, September.
- Roland-Holst, D.W. & Sancho, F., 1991. "Ralative Income Determination in the United States: A Social Accounting Perspective," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 188.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Pyatt, F Graham & Round, Jeffery I, 1979. "Accounting and Fixed Price Multipliers in a Social Accounting Matrix Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 850-73, December.
- Margaret Grosh & Paul Glewwe, 2000. "Designing Household Survey Questionnaires for Developing Countries : Lessons from 15 Years of the Living Standards Measurement Study, Volume 2," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15194, August.
- Erik Dietzenbacher, 2002. "Interregional Multipliers: Looking Backward, Looking Forward," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 125-136.
- Jeffrey Round, 2003. "Constructing SAMs for Development Policy Analysis: Lessons Learned and Challenges Ahead," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 161-183.
- Rose, Adam, 1995. "Input-output economics and computable general equilibrium models," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 295-304, August.
- Francois Bourguignon & Victoria Levin & David Rosenblatt, 2004. "Declining International Inequality and Economic Divergence: Reviewing the Evidence Through Different Lenses," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 100, pages 13-26.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfpoli:v:43:y:2013:i:c:p:190-203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.