How international is corporate environmental responsibility? A literature review
In this paper we explore the current state of research on international aspects of corporate environmental responsibility (CER). A Literature review of approximately 10,200 articles in leading management journals published between 1997 and 2010 reveals 54 studies that deal explicitly with CER. We provide answers regarding the emphasis, geographic focus, research methods, theoretical focus, industries covered by CER research, and primary study content. We find that although environmental aspects of management are often international by their very nature, CER research does not have many international links as significantly more single- than multi-country studies exist. We also derive several implications for the internationalization of future CER research. Future studies should further investigate cross-country effects and focus on the transferability of CER practices across boarders.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 18 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kothari, Tanvi & Lahiri, Somnath, 2012. "Yesterday, today and tomorrow: An overview of research publications in the Journal of International Management," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 102-110.
- Glen Dowell & Stuart Hart & Bernard Yeung, 2000. "Do Corporate Global Environmental Standards Create or Destroy Market Value?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(8), pages 1059-1074, August.
- Alan M Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 1998. "Corporate Strategy and International Environmental Policy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(4), pages 819-833, December.
- Chialin Chen, 2001. "Design for the Environment: A Quality-Based Model for Green Product Development," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(2), pages 250-263, February.
- Simões, Sofia & Cleto, João & Fortes, Patricia & Seixas, Júlia & Huppes, Gjalt, 2008. "Cost of energy and environmental policy in Portuguese CO2 abatement--scenario analysis to 2020," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 3598-3611, September.
- Lynes, Jennifer K. & Andrachuk, Mark, 2008. "Motivations for corporate social and environmental responsibility: A case study of Scandinavian Airlines," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 377-390, December.
- Rugman, Alan M & Kirton, John, 1998. "Multinational enterprise strategy and the NAFTA trade and environment regime," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 438-454, January.
- Eiadat, Yousef & Kelly, Aidan & Roche, Frank & Eyadat, Hussein, 2008. "Green and competitive? An empirical test of the mediating role of environmental innovation strategy," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 131-145, March.
- Ruihua Joy Jiang & Pratima Bansal, 2003. "Seeing the Need for ISO 14001," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 1047-1067, 06.
- Wheeler, David, 2001. "Racing to the bottom : foreign investment and air pollution in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2524, The World Bank.
- Andy Lockett & Jeremy Moon & Wayne Visser, 2006. "Corporate Social Responsibility in Management Research: Focus, Nature, Salience and Sources of Influence," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 115-136, 01.
- Luo, Yadong & Sun, Jinyun & Wang, Stephanie Lu, 2011. "Comparative strategic management: An emergent field in international management," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 190-200, September.
- Ricky Y. K. Chan, 2005. "Does the Natural-Resource-Based View of the Firm Apply in an Emerging Economy? A Survey of Foreign Invested Enterprises in China," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 625-672, 05.
- Yves Doz & C K Prahalad, 1984. "Patterns of Strategic Control Within Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 15(2), pages 55-72, June.
- Chen, Dong & Newburry, William & Park, Seung Ho, 2009. "Improving sustainability: An international evolutionary framework," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 317-327, September.
- Kolk, Ans & van Tulder, Rob, 2010. "International business, corporate social responsibility and sustainable development," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 119-125, April.
- Amine, Lyn S., 2003. "An integrated micro- and macrolevel discussion of global green issues: "It isn't easy being green"," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 373-393.
- Pushkala Prasad & Michael Elmes, 2005. "In the Name of the Practical: Unearthing the Hegemony of Pragmatics in the Discourse of Environmental Management," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 845-867, 06.
- Bassi, Andrea M. & Yudken, Joel S. & Ruth, Matthias, 2009. "Climate policy impacts on the competitiveness of energy-intensive manufacturing sectors," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 3052-3060, August.
- Marshall, R. Scott & Akoorie, Michèle E.M. & Hamann, Ralph & Sinha, Paresha, 2010. "Environmental practices in the wine industry: An empirical application of the theory of reasoned action and stakeholder theory in the United States and New Zealand," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 405-414, October.
- Bryan W Husted & David B Allen, 2006. "Corporate social responsibility in the multinational enterprise: strategic and institutional approaches," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(6), pages 838-849, November.
- Andrew King & Michael Lenox, 2002. "Exploring the Locus of Profitable Pollution Reduction," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(2), pages 289-299, February.
- William Q. Judge, 1998. "Performance Implications of Incorporating Natural Environmental Issues into the Strategic Planning Process: An Empirical Assessment," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(2), pages 241-262, 03.
- Reimann, Felix & Ehrgott, Matthias & Kaufmann, Lutz & Carter, Craig R., 2012. "Local stakeholders and local legitimacy: MNEs' social strategies in emerging economies," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-17.
- Nicole Darnall & Irene Henriques & Perry Sadorsky, 2010. "Adopting Proactive Environmental Strategy: The Influence of Stakeholders and Firm Size," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(6), pages 1072-1094, 09.
- Pinkse, Jonatan & Kuss, Matthias J. & Hoffmann, Volker H., 2010. "On the implementation of a 'global' environmental strategy: The role of absorptive capacity," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 160-177, April.
- Robert Hoffmann & Lee Chew Ging & Bala Ramasamy & Matthew Yeung, 2004.
"FDI and Pollution: A Granger Causality Test using Panel Data,"
CEABuR Working Papers
2, Centre for Europe-Asia Business Research.
- Robert Hoffmann & Chew-Ging Lee & Bala Ramasamy & Matthew Yeung, 2005. "FDI and pollution: a granger causality test using panel data," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 311-317.
- Darnall, Nicole & Henriques, Irene & Sadorsky, Perry, 2008. "Do environmental management systems improve business performance in an international setting?," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 364-376, December.
- Petra Christmann & Glen Taylor, 2001. "Globalization and the Environment: Determinants of Firm Self-Regulation in China," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 439-458, September.
- Erin Marie Reid & Michael W. Toffel, 2008. "Responding to Public and Private Politics: Corporate Disclosure of Climate Change Strategies," Harvard Business School Working Papers 09-019, Harvard Business School, revised Jun 2009.
- Martín-Tapia, Inmaculada & Aragón-Correa, J. Alberto & Rueda-Manzanares, Antonio, 2010. "Environmental strategy and exports in medium, small and micro-enterprises," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 266-275, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intman:v:18:y:2012:i:2:p:180-195. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.