The price of energy efficiency in the Spanish housing market
The housing sector is a substantial consumer of energy, and therefore a focus for energy savings efforts. The Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD), introduced in 2002 and revised in 2010, is a key instrument to increase the energy performance of buildings across the European Union. Following the implementation of the EPBD into Spanish law, all properties offered for sale or rented out in Spain are required to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). Given that the implementation of the EPC scheme for new, existing and advertised properties is still very low in Spain, unlike other European housing markets, the Spanish one lacks market data on energy efficiency (EE) labels and their impact on housing price. To overcome this gap, we determine the EE ratings of a sample of 1507 homes across Spain on the basis of information collected previously through household surveys. This allowed us to answer the question of whether or not, and to what extent, Spanish housing markets capitalise the value of EE. We apply the hedonic-price technique and observe that more energy efficient dwellings have a price-premium between 5.4% and 9.8% compared to those with the same characteristics but lower EE level.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chugh, Randy & Cropper, Maureen & Narain, Urvashi, 2011.
"The cost of fuel economy in the Indian passenger vehicle market,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 7174-7183.
- Chugh, Randy & Cropper, Maureen & Narain, Urvashi, 2011. "The Cost of Fuel Economy in the Indian Passenger Vehicle Market," Discussion Papers dp-11-12, Resources For the Future.
- Randy Chugh & Maureen L. Cropper & Urvashi Narain, 2011. "The Cost of Fuel Economy in the Indian Passenger Vehicle Market," NBER Working Papers 16987, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Galarraga, Ibon & González-Eguino, Mikel & Markandya, Anil, 2011. "Willingness to pay and price elasticities of demand for energy-efficient appliances: Combining the hedonic approach and demand systems," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(S1), pages 66-74.
- Piet Eichholtz & Nils Kok & John M. Quigley, 2013. "The Economics of Green Building," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 95(1), pages 50-63, March.
- Eichholtz, Piet & Kok, Nils & Quigley, John M., 2010. "The Economics of Green Building," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt3k16p2rj, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Pedro Linares & Xavier Labandeira, 2010. "Energy Efficiency: Economics And Policy," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 573-592, 07.
- Xavier Labandeira Villot & Pedro Linares, 2009. "Energy Efficiency: Economics and Policy," Economic Reports 06-09, FEDEA.
- Xavier Labandeira & Pedro Linares, 2010. "Energy efficiency: Economics and Policy," Working Papers 05-2010, Economics for Energy.
- Deng, Yongheng & Li, Zhiliang & Quigley, John M., 2012. "Economic returns to energy-efficient investments in the housing market: Evidence from Singapore," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 506-515.
- Longstreth, Molly, 1986. "Impact of consumers' personal characteristics on hedonic prices of energy-conserving durables," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 11(9), pages 893-905.
- Hyland, Marie & Lyons, Ronan C. & Lyons, Seán, 2013. "The value of domestic building energy efficiency — evidence from Ireland," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 943-952.
- Ronan C. Lyons & Marie Hyland, 2012. "The value of domestic building energy efficiency - evidence from Ireland," Economics Series Working Papers 614, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Hyland, Marie & Lyons, Ronan C. & Lyons, Seán, 2014. "The Value of Domestic Building Energy Efficiency – Evidence from Ireland," Papers RB2014/1/3, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Dixon, Robert K. & McGowan, Elizabeth & Onysko, Ganna & Scheer, Richard M., 2010. "US energy conservation and efficiency policies: Challenges and opportunities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 6398-6408, November.
- Galarraga, Ibon & Ramos, Ana & Lucas, Josu & Labandeira, Xavier, 2014. "The price of energy efficiency in the Spanish car market," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 272-282.
- Ibon Galarraga & Ana Ramos & Josu Lucas, 2012. "The Price of Energy Efficiency in the Spanish Car Market," Working Papers 02-2013, Economics for Energy.
- Molly Espey & Santosh Nair, 2005. "Automobile Fuel Economy: What Is It Worth?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 23(3), pages 317-323, 07.
- Nair, Santosh & Espey, Molly, 2004. "Automobile Fuel Economy: What is it Worth?," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20102, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Piet Eichholtz & Nils Kok & John M. Quigley, 2010. "Doing Well by Doing Good? Green Office Buildings," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(5), pages 2492-2509, December.
- Eichholtz, Piet & Kok, Nils & Quigley, John M., 2009. "Doing Well by Doing Good? Green Office Buildings," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt507394s4, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Miranowski, John & Dinan, T., 1989. "Estimating the Implicit Price of Energy Efficiency Improvement in the Residential Housing Market: A Hedonic Approach," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10698, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Geller, Howard & Harrington, Philip & Rosenfeld, Arthur H. & Tanishima, Satoshi & Unander, Fridtjof, 2006. "Polices for increasing energy efficiency: Thirty years of experience in OECD countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 556-573, March.
- Martin Achtnicht, 2012. "German car buyers’ willingness to pay to reduce CO 2 emissions," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 113(3), pages 679-697, August.
- Achtnicht, Martin, 2009. "German car buyers' willingness to pay to reduce CO2 emissions," ZEW Discussion Papers 09-058, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Achtnicht, Martin, 2012. "German car buyers' willingness to pay to reduce CO2 emissions," ZEW Discussion Papers 09-058 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Fuerst, Franz & McAllister, Patrick & Nanda, Anupam & Wyatt, Peter, 2015. "Does energy efficiency matter to home-buyers? An investigation of EPC ratings and transaction prices in England," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 145-156.
- Anna Alberini & Massimo Filippini & Markus Bareit, 2014. "Does the Swiss Car Market Reward Fuel Efficient Cars? Evidence from Hedonic Pricing Regressions, Matching and a Regression Discontinuity Design," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 14/190, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Palmquist, Raymond B, 1984. "Estimating the Demand for the Characteristics of Housing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(3), pages 394-404, August.
- Alexander Reichardt & Franz Fuerst & Nico B. Rottke & Joachim Zietz, 2012. "Sustainable Building Certification and the Rent Premium: A Panel Data Approach," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 34(1), pages 99-126.
- Baltas, George & Saridakis, Charalampos, 2013. "An empirical investigation of the impact of behavioural and psychographic consumer characteristics on car preferences: An integrated model of car type choice," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 92-110.
- Ramos, A. & Gago, A. & Labandeira, X. & Linares, P., 2015. "The role of information for energy efficiency in the residential sector," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(S1), pages 17-29.
- Ana Ramos & Alberto Gago & Xavier Labandeira & Pedro Linares, 2014. "The Role of Information for Energy Efficiency in the Residential Sector," Working Papers 04-2014, Economics for Energy.
- Amecke, Hermann, 2012. "The impact of energy performance certificates: A survey of German home owners," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 4-14.
- Anna Matas & Josep-Lluis Raymond, 2009. "Hedonic prices for cars: an application to the Spanish car market, 1981-2005," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(22), pages 2887-2904.
- Zheng, Siqi & Wu, Jing & Kahn, Matthew E. & Deng, Yongheng, 2012. "The nascent market for “green” real estate in Beijing," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(5), pages 974-984.
- Ward, David O. & Clark, Christopher D. & Jensen, Kimberly L. & Yen, Steven T. & Russell, Clifford S., 2011. "Factors influencing willingness-to-pay for the ENERGY STARÂ® label," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1450-1458, March.
- Dinan, Terry M. & Miranowski, John A., 1989. "Estimating the implicit price of energy efficiency improvements in the residential housing market: A hedonic approach," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 52-67, January.
- Brounen, Dirk & Kok, Nils, 2011. "On the economics of energy labels in the housing market," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 166-179, September.
- Anna Alberini & Markus Bareit & Massimo Filippini, 2014. "Does the Swiss Car Market Reward Fuel Efficient Cars? Evidence from Hedonic Pricing Regressions, a Regression Discontinuity Design, and Matching," Working Papers 2014.16, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Laquatra, Joseph, 1986. "Housing market capitalization of thermal integrity," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 134-138, July.
- Hunt Allcott & Nathan Wozny, 2014. "Gasoline Prices, Fuel Economy, and the Energy Paradox," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 96(5), pages 779-795, December.
- Eduardo González & Ana Cárcaba & Juan Ventura, 2011. "Quality Of Life Ranking Of Spanish Municipalities," Revista de Economia Aplicada, Universidad de Zaragoza, Departamento de Estructura Economica y Economia Publica, vol. 19(2), pages 123-148, Autumn.
- Yoshida, Jiro & Sugiura, Ayako, 2010. "Which “Greenness” is Valued? Evidence from Green Condominiums in Tokyo," MPRA Paper 23124, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 02 Jun 2010.
- Gilmer, Robert W., 1989. "Energy labels and economic search : An example from the residential real estate market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 213-218, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:94:y:2016:i:c:p:16-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.