The Cost of Fuel Economy in the Indian Passenger Vehicle Market
To investigate how fuel economy is valued in the Indian car market, we compute the cost to Indian consumers of purchasing a more fuel-efficient vehicle and compare it to the benefit of lower fuel costs over the life of the vehicle. We use hedonic price functions for four market segments (petrol hatchbacks, diesel hatchbacks, petrol sedans, and diesel sedans) to compute 95 percent confidence intervals for the marginal cost to the consumer of an increase in fuel economy. We find that the associated present value of fuel savings falls within the 95 percent confidence interval for some specifications, in all market segments, for the years 2002 through 2006. Thus, we fail to consistently reject the hypothesis that consumers appropriately value fuel economy. When we reject the null hypothesis, the marginal cost of additional fuel economy exceeds the present value of fuel savings, suggesting that consumers may, in fact, be overvaluing fuel economy.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Chugh, Randy & Cropper, Maureen & Narain, Urvashi, 2011. "The cost of fuel economy in the Indian passenger vehicle market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 7174-7183.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Molly Espey & Santosh Nair, 2005.
"Automobile Fuel Economy: What Is It Worth?,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 23(3), pages 317-323, 07.
- Gloria Helfand & Ann Wolverton, 2011.
"Evaluating the Consumer Response to Fuel Economy: A Review of the Literature,"
NCEE Working Paper Series
200904, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Apr 2011.
- Helfand, Gloria & Wolverton, Ann, 2011. "Evaluating the Consumer Response to Fuel Economy: A Review of the Literature," International Review of Environmental and Resource Economics, now publishers, vol. 5(2), pages 103-146, May.
- Atkinson, Scott E & Halvorsen, Robert, 1984. "A New Hedonic Technique for Estimating Attribute Demand: An Application to the Demand for Automobile Fuel Efficiency," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(3), pages 417-26, August.
- Thomas H. Klier & Joshua Linn, 2008.
"New vehicle characteristics and the cost of the corporate average fuel economy standard,"
Working Paper Series
WP-08-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Thomas Klier & Joshua Linn, 2012. "New‐vehicle characteristics and the cost of the Corporate Average Fuel Economy standard," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 43(1), pages 186-213, 03.
- Thomas H. Klier & Joshua Linn, 2009. "The price of gasoline and the demand for fuel economy: evidence from monthly new vehicles sales data," Working Paper Series WP-09-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Deck, Leland B & McConnell, Kenneth E, 1988. "On the Choice of Functional Form for Hedonic Price Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 668-75, November.
- Chugh, Randy & Cropper, Maureen & Narain, Urvashi, 2011.
"The cost of fuel economy in the Indian passenger vehicle market,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 7174-7183.
- Randy Chugh & Maureen L. Cropper & Urvashi Narain, 2011. "The Cost of Fuel Economy in the Indian Passenger Vehicle Market," NBER Working Papers 16987, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chugh, Randy & Cropper, Maureen & Narain, Urvashi, 2011. "The Cost of Fuel Economy in the Indian Passenger Vehicle Market," Discussion Papers dp-11-12, Resources For the Future.
- Soren T. Anderson & Ryan Kellogg & James M. Sallee & Richard T. Curtin, 2011. "Forecasting Gasoline Prices Using Consumer Surveys," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(3), pages 110-14, May.
- Shanjun Li & Christopher Timmins & Roger H. von Haefen, 2009.
"How Do Gasoline Prices Affect Fleet Fuel Economy?,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 113-37, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:16987. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.