The Cost of Fuel Economy in the Indian Passenger Vehicle Market
To investigate how fuel economy is valued in the Indian car market, we compute the cost to Indian consumers of purchasing a more fuel-efficient vehicle and compare it to the benefit of lower fuel costs over the life of the vehicle. We use hedonic price functions for four market segments (petrol hatchbacks, diesel hatchbacks, petrol sedans, and diesel sedans) to compute 95 percent confidence intervals for the marginal cost to the consumer of an increase in fuel economy. We find that the associated present value of fuel savings falls within the 95 percent confidence interval for some specifications, in all market segments, for the years 2002 through 2006. Thus, we fail to consistently reject the hypothesis that consumers appropriately value fuel economy. When we reject the null hypothesis, the marginal cost of additional fuel economy exceeds the present value of fuel savings, suggesting that consumers may, in fact, be overvaluing fuel economy.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gloria Helfand & Ann Wolverton, 2011.
"Evaluating the Consumer Response to Fuel Economy: A Review of the Literature,"
NCEE Working Paper Series
200904, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Apr 2011.
- Helfand, Gloria & Wolverton, Ann, 2011. "Evaluating the Consumer Response to Fuel Economy: A Review of the Literature," International Review of Environmental and Resource Economics, now publishers, vol. 5(2), pages 103-146, May.
- Soren T. Anderson & Ryan Kellogg & James M. Sallee & Richard T. Curtin, 2011. "Forecasting Gasoline Prices Using Consumer Surveys," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(3), pages 110-14, May.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Deck, Leland B & McConnell, Kenneth E, 1988. "On the Choice of Functional Form for Hedonic Price Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 668-75, November.
- Randy Chugh & Maureen L. Cropper & Urvashi Narain, 2011.
"The Cost of Fuel Economy in the Indian Passenger Vehicle Market,"
NBER Working Papers
16987, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chugh, Randy & Cropper, Maureen & Narain, Urvashi, 2011. "The cost of fuel economy in the Indian passenger vehicle market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 7174-7183.
- Chugh, Randy & Cropper, Maureen & Narain, Urvashi, 2011. "The Cost of Fuel Economy in the Indian Passenger Vehicle Market," Discussion Papers dp-11-12, Resources For the Future.
- Atkinson, Scott E & Halvorsen, Robert, 1984. "A New Hedonic Technique for Estimating Attribute Demand: An Application to the Demand for Automobile Fuel Efficiency," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(3), pages 417-26, August.
- Shanjun Li & Roger von Haefen & Christopher Timmins, 2008.
"How Do Gasoline Prices Affect Fleet Fuel Economy?,"
NBER Working Papers
14450, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas H. Klier & Joshua Linn, 2009. "The price of gasoline and the demand for fuel economy: evidence from monthly new vehicles sales data," Working Paper Series WP-09-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Thomas H. Klier & Joshua Linn, 2008.
"New vehicle characteristics and the cost of the corporate average fuel economy standard,"
Working Paper Series
WP-08-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Thomas Klier & Joshua Linn, 2012. "New‐vehicle characteristics and the cost of the Corporate Average Fuel Economy standard," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 43(1), pages 186-213, 03.
- Nair, Santosh & Espey, Molly, 2004.
"Automobile Fuel Economy: What is it Worth?,"
2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO
20102, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rff:dpaper:dp-11-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.