Regional impact of changes in disposable income on Spanish electricity demand: A spatial econometric analysis
This paper presents an empirical analysis of residential electricity demand considering the existence of spatial effects. This analysis has been performed using aggregate panel data at the province level for 46 Spanish provinces for the period from 2001 to 2010. For this purpose, we estimated a log–log demand equation using a spatial autoregressive model with autoregressive disturbances (SARAR). The purpose of this empirical analysis is to determine the influence of price, income, and spatial spillovers on residential electricity demand in Spain. We are particularly interested in analyzing the impact of household disposable income variation across provinces observed during the economic crisis period 2009–2010. The estimation results show relatively low income elasticity and an inelastic demand to prices. Furthermore, the results show the presence of spatial effects in Spanish residential electricity consumption.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francisco Alvarez-Cuadrado & Jose Maria Casado & Jose Maria Labeaga & Dhanoos Sutthiphisal, 2012.
"Envy and habits: panel data estimates of interdependent preferences,"
Banco de Espa�a Working Papers
1213, Banco de Espa�a.
- Casado, Jose Maria & Alvarez-Cuadrado, Francisco & Labeaga, Jose Maria & Sutthiphisal, Dhanoos, 2012. "Envy and habits: Panel data estimates of interdependent preferences," MERIT Working Papers 054, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Smyth, Russell, 2005. "The residential demand for electricity in Australia: an application of the bounds testing approach to cointegration," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 467-474, March.
- Xavier Labandeira & José M. Labeaga & Miguel Rodríguez, 2005.
"A Residential Energy Demand System for Spain,"
- Xavier Labandeira & José M. Labeaga & Miguel Rodríguez, 2005. "A Residential Energy Demand System for Spain," Working Papers 0501, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Xavier Labandeira & José M. Labeaga & Miguel Rodríguez, . "A Residential Energy Demand System for Spain," Working Papers 2005-04, FEDEA.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blázquez, Leticia & Boogen, Nina & Filippini, Massimo, 2013. "Residential electricity demand in Spain: New empirical evidence using aggregate data," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 648-657.
- Hsing, Yu, 1994. "Estimation of residential demand for electricity with the cross-sectionally correlated and time-wise autoregressive model," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 255-263, August.
- Leth-Petersen, Soren & Togeby, Mikael, 2001. "Demand for space heating in apartment blocks: measuring effects of policy measures aiming at reducing energy consumption," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 387-403, July.
- Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael & Winner, Hannes, 2005. "An unbalanced spatial panel data approach to US state tax competition," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 329-335, September.
- Labandeira, Xavier & Labeaga, José M. & López-Otero, Xiral, 2012.
"Estimation of elasticity price of electricity with incomplete information,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 627-633.
- Xavier Labandeira & José M. Labeaga & Xiral López-Otero, 2010. "Estimation of Elasticity Price of Electricity with Incomplete Information," Working Papers 01-2010, Economics for Energy.
- Xavier Labandeira Villot & José María Labeaga & Xiral López-Otero, 2009. "Estimation of Elasticity Price of Electricity with Incomplete Information," Working Papers 2009-18, FEDEA.
- Wasantha Athukorala & Clevo Wilson, 2010.
"Estimating short and long-term residential demand for electricity: New evidence from Sri Lanka,"
School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series
254, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Athukorala, P.P.A Wasantha & Wilson, Clevo, 2010. "Estimating short and long-term residential demand for electricity: New evidence from Sri Lanka," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(Supplemen), pages S34-S40, September.
- Paul, Anthony & Myers, Erica & Palmer, Karen, 2009. "A Partial Adjustment Model of U.S. Electricity Demand by Region, Season, and Sector," Discussion Papers dp-08-50, Resources For the Future.
- Massimo Filippini & Anna Alberini, 2010.
"Response of Residential Electricity Demand to Price: The Effect of Measurement Error,"
CEPE Working paper series
10-75, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Alberini, Anna & Filippini, Massimo, 2011. "Response of residential electricity demand to price: The effect of measurement error," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 889-895, September.
- H. R. Varian, 1973.
"Equity, Envy and Efficiency,"
115, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Kapoor, Mudit & Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2007. "Panel data models with spatially correlated error components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 97-130, September.
- Hondroyiannis, George, 2004. "Estimating residential demand for electricity in Greece," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 319-334, May.
- Flaig, Gebhard, 1990.
"Household production and the short- and long-run demand for electricity,"
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 116-121, April.
- Flaig, Gebhard, 1990. "Household production and the short- and long-run demand for electricity," Munich Reprints in Economics 20345, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Filippini, Massimo & Pachauri, Shonali, 2004.
"Elasticities of electricity demand in urban Indian households,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 429-436, February.
- Massimo Filippini & Shonali Pachauri, 2002. "Elasticities of Electricity Demand in Urban Indian Households," CEPE Working paper series 02-16, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1998. "A Generalized Spatial Two-Stage Least Squares Procedure for Estimating a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 99-121, July.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2012. "Survey of Models on Demand, Customer Base-Line and Demand Response and Their Relationships in the Power Market," IZA Discussion Papers 6637, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- H. Kelejian, Harry & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2001. "On the asymptotic distribution of the Moran I test statistic with applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 219-257, September.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Song, Seuck Heun & Koh, Won, 2003.
"Testing panel data regression models with spatial error correlation,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 123-150, November.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Seuck Heun Song & Won Koh, 2002. "Testing Panel Data Regression Models with Spatial Error Correlation," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 B6-4, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Luc Anselin, 2010. "Thirty years of spatial econometrics," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(1), pages 3-25, 03.
- Maddala, G S, et al, 1997. "Estimation of Short-Run and Long-Run Elasticities of Energy Demand from Panel Data Using Shrinkage Estimators," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(1), pages 90-100, January.
- Hendrik S. Houthakker, 1980. "Residential Electricity Revisited," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:40:y:2013:i:s1:p:s58-s66. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.