A Residential Energy Demand System for Spain
Sharp price fluctuations and increasing environmental and distributional concerns, among other issues, have led to a renewed academic interest in energy demand. In this paper we estimate, for the first time in Spain, an energy demand system with household microdata. In doing so, we tackle several econometric and data problems that are generally recognized to bias parameter estimates. This is obviously relevant, as obtaining correct price and income responses is essential if they may be used for assessing the economic consequences of hypothetical or real changes. With this objective, we combine data sources for a long time period and choose a demand system with flexible income and price responses. We also estimate the model in different sub-samples to capture varying responses to energy price changes by households living in rural, intermediate and urban areas. This constitutes a first attempt in the literature and it proved to be a very successful choice.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): Volume 27 (2006)
Issue (Month): Number 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 28790 Chagrin Blvd Ste 350, Cleveland, OH 44122, USA|
Web page: http://www.iaee.org
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.iaee.org/en/publications/ejsearch.aspx|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gbadebo Oladosu, 2003. "An Almost Ideal Demand System Model of Household Vehicle Fuel Expenditure Allocation in the United States," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 1-21.
- Xavier Labandeira & José M. Labeaga & Miguel Rodríguez, 2006.
"A Macro and Microeconomic Integrated Approach to Assessing the Effects of Public Policies,"
22, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- José M. Labeaga & Miguel Rodríguez & Xavier Labandeira, 2006. "A Macro and Microeconomic Integrated Approach to Assessing the Effects of Public Policies," Working Papers 2006-02, FEDEA.
- Richard Schmalensee & Thomas M. Stoker, 1999. "Household Gasoline Demand in the United States," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(3), pages 645-662, May.
- Richard Blundell & Robin, J M, 1995.
"Latent separability: grouping goods without weak separability,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/09, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 2000. "Latent Separability: Grouping Goods without Weak Separability," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 53-84, January.
- Richard Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 2000. "Latent Separability: Grouping Goods without Weak Separability," Post-Print hal-00357752, HAL.
- R. Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 2000. "Latent separability: grouping goods without weak separability," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/f0uohitsgqh, Sciences Po.
- Soren Leth-Petersen, 2002. "Micro Econometric Modelling of Household Energy Use: Testing for Dependence between Demand for Electricity and Natural Gas," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 57-84.
- Christopher J. Nicol, 2001. "The rank and model specification of demand systems: an empirical analysis using United States microdata," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(1), pages 259-289, February.
- Blundell, Richard & Pashardes, Panos & Weber, Guglielmo, 1993. "What Do We Learn About Consumer Demand Patterns from Micro Data?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 570-97, June.
- Puller, Steven L. & Greening, Lorna A., 1999. "Household adjustment to gasoline price change: an analysis using 9 years of US survey data," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 37-52, February.
- Jose Labeaga & Angel Lopez, 1997. "A study of petrol consumption using Spanish panel data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(6), pages 795-802.
- Miguel Rodríguez & José M. Labeaga, 2004.
"Microsimulating the Effects of Household Energy Price Changes in Spain,"
2004.161, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Xavier Labandeira & Jose M. Labeaga & Miguel Rodriguez, 2004. "Microsimulating the Effects of Household Energy Price Changes in Spain," Public Economics 0412001, EconWPA, revised 02 Dec 2004.
- Xavier Labandeira & José M. Labeaga & Miguel Rodríguez, . "Microsimulating the Effects of Household Energy Price Changes in Spain," Studies on the Spanish Economy 196, FEDEA.
- Blundell, Richard & Robin, Jean Marc, 1999.
"Estimation in Large and Disaggregated Demand Systems: An Estimator for Conditionally Linear Systems,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 209-32, May-June.
- Richard Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 1999. "Estimation in large and disaggregated demand systems: an estimator for conditionally linear systems," Post-Print hal-00359353, HAL.
- R, Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 1997. "Estimation in Large and Dissagregated Demand Systems : An Estimator for Conditionally Linear Systems," Working Papers 97-08, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2003.
"A rational rank four demand system,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(2), pages 127-135.
- Dubin, Jeffrey A & McFadden, Daniel L, 1984. "An Econometric Analysis of Residential Electric Appliance Holdings and Consumption," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 345-62, March.
- Jose M. Labeaga & Angel López, 1994. "Estimation of the welfare effects of indirect tax changes on spanish households: an anlysis of the 1992 vat reform," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 18(2), pages 289-311, May.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Adonis Yatchew & Joungyeo Angela No, 2001. "Household Gasoline Demand in Canada," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1697-1709, November.
- Baker, Paul & Blundell, Richard & Micklewright, John, 1989. "Modelling Household Energy Expenditures Using Micro-data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 720-38, September.
- Nicol, C. J., 2003. "Elasticities of demand for gasoline in Canada and the United States," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 201-214, March.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Browning, Martin & Meghir, Costas, 1991. "The Effects of Male and Female Labor Supply on Commodity Demands," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 925-51, July.
- Xavier Labandeira & José M. Labeaga, 1999. "Combining input-output analysis and micro-simulation to assess the effects of carbon taxation on Spanish households," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 20(3), pages 305-320, September.
- Pashardes, Panos, 1995. "Equivalence scales in a rank-3 demand system," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 143-158, September.
- Keen, Michael, 1986. "Zero Expenditures and the Estimation of Engel Curves," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(3), pages 277-86, July.
- Lyssiotou, Panayiota & Pashardes, Panos & Stengos, Thanasis, 1999. "Testing the rank of Engel curves with endogenous expenditure," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 61-65, July.
- Nesbakken, Runa, 2001. " Energy Consumption for Space Heating: A Discrete-Continuous Approach," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(1), pages 165-84, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aen:journl:2006v27-02-a06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Williams)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.