Multicriteria decision support to evaluate potential long-term natural gas supply alternatives: The case of GreeceAuthor-Name: Androulaki, Stella
This paper assesses 27 alternative natural gas supply corridors for the case of Greece, according to a multicriteria analysis approach based on three main pillars: (1) economics of supply, (2) security of supply, and (3) cooperation between countries. The alternatives include onshore and offshore pipeline corridors and LNG shipping, determined after exhaustive investigation of all possible existing and future routes, taking into consideration all possible natural gas infrastructure development projects around Greece. A multicriteria additive value system is assessed via the robust ordinal regression methodology, aiming to support the national energy policy makers to devise favorable strategies, concerning both long-term national natural gas supplies and infrastructure developments. The obtained ranking shows that noticeable alternative corridors for gas passage to Greece do exist both in terms of maritime transport of LNG and in terms of potential future pipeline infrastructure projects.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 253 (2016)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Van de Graaf, Thijs & Sovacool, Benjamin K., 2014. "Thinking big: Politics, progress, and security in the management of Asian and European energy megaprojects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 74(C), pages 16-27.
- Grigoroudis, E. & Siskos, Y., 2002. "Preference disaggregation for measuring and analysing customer satisfaction: The MUSA method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 148-170, November.
- Mavrakis, Dimitrios & Thomaidis, Fotios & Ntroukas, Ioannis, 2006. "An assessment of the natural gas supply potential of the south energy corridor from the Caspian Region to the EU," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(13), pages 1671-1680, September.
- Jacquet-Lagreze, E. & Siskos, J., 1982. "Assessing a set of additive utility functions for multicriteria decision-making, the UTA method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-164, June.
- Le Coq, Chloé & Paltseva, Elena, 2012. "Assessing gas transit risks: Russia vs. the EU," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 642-650.
- Elin Halvorsen-Weare & Kjetil Fagerholt, 2013. "Routing and scheduling in a liquefied natural gas shipping problem with inventory and berth constraints," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 203(1), pages 167-186, March.
- Holz, Franziska & von Hirschhausen, Christian & Kemfert, Claudia, 2008. "A strategic model of European gas supply (GASMOD)," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 766-788, May.
- Siskos, Eleftherios & Tsotsolas, Nikos, 2015. "Elicitation of criteria importance weights through the Simos method: A robustness concern," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 246(2), pages 543-553.
- Kadziński, Miłosz & Greco, Salvatore & Słowiński, Roman, 2013. "RUTA: A framework for assessing and selecting additive value functions on the basis of rank related requirements," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 735-751.
- Aouam, Tarik & Rardin, Ronald & Abrache, Jawad, 2010. "Robust strategies for natural gas procurement," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 205(1), pages 151-158, August.
- Bilgin, Mert, 2009. "Geopolitics of European natural gas demand: Supplies from Russia, Caspian and the Middle East," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4482-4492, November.
- Hurson, Christian & Siskos, Yannis, 2014. "A synergy of multicriteria techniques to assess additive value models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 238(2), pages 540-551.
- Mutlu, Fatih & Msakni, Mohamed K. & Yildiz, Hakan & Sönmez, Erkut & Pokharel, Shaligram, 2016. "A comprehensive annual delivery program for upstream liquefied natural gas supply chain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 250(1), pages 120-130.
- Gijsbert Zwart & Machiel Mulder, 2006. "NATGAS: a model of the European natural gas market," CPB Memorandum 144, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Kadziński, MiŁosz & Greco, Salvatore & SŁowiński, Roman, 2012. "Extreme ranking analysis in robust ordinal regression," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 488-501.
- Greco, Salvatore & Mousseau, Vincent & Slowinski, Roman, 2008. "Ordinal regression revisited: Multiple criteria ranking using a set of additive value functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 191(2), pages 416-436, December.
- Monforti, F. & Szikszai, A., 2010. "A MonteCarlo approach for assessing the adequacy of the European gas transmission system under supply crisis conditions," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 2486-2498, May.
- Afgan, Naim H. & Pilavachi, Petros A. & Carvalho, Maria G., 2007. "Multi-criteria evaluation of natural gas resources," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 704-713, January.
- Hamedi, Maryam & Zanjirani Farahani, Reza & Husseini, Mohammad Moattar & Esmaeilian, Gholam Reza, 2009. "A distribution planning model for natural gas supply chain: A case study," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 799-812, March.
- Lise, Wietze & Hobbs, Benjamin F., 2008. "Future evolution of the liberalised European gas market: Simulation results with a dynamic model," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 989-1004.
- Kabirian, Alireza & Hemmati, Mohammad Reza, 2007. "A strategic planning model for natural gas transmission networks," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5656-5670, November.
- Brito, Anderson J. & de Almeida, Adiel Teixeira & Mota, Caroline M.M., 2010. "A multicriteria model for risk sorting of natural gas pipelines based on ELECTRE TRI integrating Utility Theory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(3), pages 812-821, February.
- Jacquet-Lagreze, Eric & Siskos, Yannis, 2001. "Preference disaggregation: 20 years of MCDA experience," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 233-245, April.
- Henao, Felipe & Cherni, Judith A. & Jaramillo, Patricia & Dyner, Isaac, 2012. "A multicriteria approach to sustainable energy supply for the rural poor," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 218(3), pages 801-809.
- Luis Contesse & Juan Ferrer & Sergio Maturana, 2005. "A Mixed-Integer Programming Model for Gas Purchase and Transportation," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 139(1), pages 39-63, October.
- Guldmann, Jean-Michel & Wang, Fahui, 1999. "Optimizing the natural gas supply mix of local distribution utilities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 112(3), pages 598-612, February.
- Bopp, A. E. & Kannan, V. R. & Palocsay, S. W. & Stevens, S. P., 1996. "An optimization model for planning natural gas purchases, transportation, storage and deliverability," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 511-522, October.
- Daniel De Wolf & Yves Smeers, 2000. "The Gas Transmission Problem Solved by an Extension of the Simplex Algorithm," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(11), pages 1454-1465, November.
- Gilbert, François & Anjos, Miguel F. & Marcotte, Patrice & Savard, Gilles, 2015. "Optimal design of bilateral contracts for energy procurement," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 246(2), pages 641-650.
- Lyness, F. K., 1978. "O.R. and U.K. natural gas depletion strategy," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 160-167, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:253:y:2016:i:3:p:791-810. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.