RUTA: A framework for assessing and selecting additive value functions on the basis of rank related requirements
In this paper, we present a new preference disaggregation method, called RUTA, which infers a set of additive value functions from the preference information referring to the desired ranks of some reference alternatives. Real-life experience indicates that people willingly refer to the range of allowed ranks that a particular alternative should attain, or to constraints on the final scores of the alternatives. We develop a mathematical model for incorporating such preference information via mixed-integer linear programming (MILP). Then, we discuss how decision making could be supported with the use of the already proposed extreme ranking analysis (ERA), which indicates the best and worst ranks gained by each alternative over the set of compatible preference model instances. We also introduce a new interactive UTA-like technique, which aims at selecting a single value function representing the outcomes of ERA. In the interactive process, the decision maker (DM) is assigning priorities to different pre-defined targets, which are built on results of ERA, and refer to the comparison of the best and/or worst ranks for pairs of alternatives. In particular, the DM may choose to emphasize or neglect the advantage of some alternatives over the others, in terms of results of ERA. In this way, one obtains a synthetic representation of extreme ranking analysis at a higher level of abstraction.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grigoroudis, E. & Orfanoudaki, E. & Zopounidis, C., 2012. "Strategic performance measurement in a healthcare organisation: A multiple criteria approach based on balanced scorecard," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 104-119, January.
- Kadziński, MiŁosz & Greco, Salvatore & SŁowiński, Roman, 2012. "Extreme ranking analysis in robust ordinal regression," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 488-501.
- Miłosz Kadziński & Roman Słowiński, 2012. "Interactive Robust Cone Contraction Method For Multiple Objective Optimization Problems," International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making (IJITDM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 11(02), pages 327-357.
- Morais, Danielle C. & de Almeida, Adiel Teixeira, 2012. "Group decision making on water resources based on analysis of individual rankings," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 42-52, January.
- Stewart, Theodor J., 1987. "Pruning of decision alternatives in multiple criteria decision making, based on the U method for estimating utilities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 79-88, January.
- Jacquet-Lagreze, E. & Siskos, J., 1982. "Assessing a set of additive utility functions for multicriteria decision-making, the UTA method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-164, June.
- Figueira, José Rui & Greco, Salvatore & Slowinski, Roman, 2009. "Building a set of additive value functions representing a reference preorder and intensities of preference: GRIP method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 195(2), pages 460-486, June.
- Kadziński, Miłosz & Greco, Salvatore & Słowiński, Roman, 2012. "Selection of a representative value function in robust multiple criteria ranking and choice," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 217(3), pages 541-553.
- Tavares, L. Valadares, 2012. "An acyclic outranking model to support group decision making within organizations," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 782-790.
- Beuthe, Michel & Scannella, Giuseppe, 2001. "Comparative analysis of UTA multicriteria methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 246-262, April.
- Matsatsinis, Nikolaos F. & Samaras, Andreas P., 2001. "MCDA and preference disaggregation in group decision support systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 414-429, April.
- Mousseau, Vincent & Figueira, Jose & Dias, Luis & Gomes da Silva, Carlos & Climaco, Joao, 2003. "Resolving inconsistencies among constraints on the parameters of an MCDA model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 72-93, May.
- Doumpos, Michael & Zopounidis, Constantin, 2011. "Preference disaggregation and statistical learning for multicriteria decision support: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 209(3), pages 203-214, March.
- Park, Kyung Sam & Kim, Soung Hie, 1997. "Tools for interactive multiattribute decisionmaking with incompletely identified information," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 111-123, April.
- Durbach, Ian N. & Stewart, Theodor J., 2012. "A comparison of simplified value function approaches for treating uncertainty in multi-criteria decision analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 456-464.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:4:p:735-751. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.