Selection of a representative value function in robust multiple criteria ranking and choice
We introduce the concept of a representative value function in robust ordinal regression applied to multiple criteria ranking and choice problems. The proposed method can be seen as a new interactive UTA-like procedure, which extends the UTAGMS and GRIP methods. The preference information supplied by the decision maker (DM) is composed of a partial preorder and intensities of preference on a subset of reference alternatives. Robust ordinal regression builds a set of general additive value functions which are compatible with the preference information, and returns two binary preference relations: necessary and possible. They identify recommendations which are compatible with all or at least one compatible value function, respectively. In this paper, we propose a general framework for selection of a representative value function from among the set of compatibles ones. There are a few targets which build on results of robust ordinal regression, and could be attained by a representative value function. In general, according to the interactively elicited preferences of the DM, the representative value function may emphasize the advantage of some alternatives over the others when all compatible value functions acknowledge this advantage, or reduce the ambiguity in the advantage of some alternatives over the others when some compatible value functions acknowledge an advantage and other ones acknowledge a disadvantage. The basic procedure is refined by few extensions. They enable emphasizing the advantage of alternatives that could be considered as potential best options, accounting for intensities of preference, or obtaining a desired type of the marginal value functions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 217 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greco, Salvatore & Kadzinski, Milosz & Mousseau, Vincent & Slowinski, Roman, 2011. "ELECTREGKMS: Robust ordinal regression for outranking methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 214(1), pages 118-135, October.
- Figueira, José Rui & Greco, Salvatore & Slowinski, Roman, 2009. "Building a set of additive value functions representing a reference preorder and intensities of preference: GRIP method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 195(2), pages 460-486, June.
- Jacquet-Lagreze, E. & Siskos, J., 1982. "Assessing a set of additive utility functions for multicriteria decision-making, the UTA method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-164, June.
- BOUS, Géraldine & FORTEMPS, Philippe & GLINEUR, François & PIRLOT, Marc, "undated".
"ACUTA: a novel method for eliciting additive value functions on the basis of holistic preference statements,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
2243, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bous, Géraldine & Fortemps, Philippe & Glineur, François & Pirlot, Marc, 2010. "ACUTA: A novel method for eliciting additive value functions on the basis of holistic preference statements," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 206(2), pages 435-444, October.
- Beuthe, Michel & Scannella, Giuseppe, 2001. "Comparative analysis of UTA multicriteria methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 246-262, April.
- Greco, Salvatore & Mousseau, Vincent & Slowinski, Roman, 2008. "Ordinal regression revisited: Multiple criteria ranking using a set of additive value functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 191(2), pages 416-436, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:217:y:2012:i:3:p:541-553. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.