Inter-district rice water productivity differences in Bangladesh: An empirical exploration and implications
While the bulk of research on crop water productivity (WP) focuses on static cross-section analysis, this research provides a spatio-temporal perspective. It estimates rice crop WP for 21 Bangladesh districts for 37years; explores WP variations among districts; and investigates causality involving WP, intensification and technological variables; and groundwater irrigation and depth. It breaks new grounds by probing these significant but unexplored issues.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zwart, Sander J. & Bastiaanssen, Wim G. M., 2004. "Review of measured crop water productivity values for irrigated wheat, rice, cotton and maize," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 115-133, September.
- Barker, R. & Levine, G., 2012. "Water productivity in context: the experiences of Taiwan and the Philippines over the past half-century," IWMI Research Reports H045273, International Water Management Institute.
- Mohammad Alauddin & John Quiggin, 2006.
"Agricultural Intensification, Irrigation and the Environment in South Asia: Issues and Policy Options,"
Murray-Darling Program Working Papers
WP4M06, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- Alauddin, Mohammad & Quiggin, John, 2008. "Agricultural intensification, irrigation and the environment in South Asia: Issues and policy options," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 111-124, March.
- Alauddin, Mohammad & Quiggin, John, 2006. "Agricultural Intensification, Irrigation and the Environment in South Asia: Issues and Policy Options," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 149859, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Zahid, A. & Ahmed, S. R. U., 2006. "Groundwater resources development in Bangladesh: contribution to irrigation for food security and constraints to sustainability," IWMI Books, Reports H039306, International Water Management Institute.
- Singh, R. & van Dam, J.C. & Feddes, R.A., 2006. "Water productivity analysis of irrigated crops in Sirsa district, India," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 253-278, April.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Alauddin, Mohammad, 2004. "Environmentalizing economic development: a South Asian perspective," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3-4), pages 251-270, December.
- Cai, X.L. & Sharma, B.R., 2010. "Integrating remote sensing, census and weather data for an assessment of rice yield, water consumption and water productivity in the Indo-Gangetic river basin," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 309-316, February.
- Mohammad A. Hossain & Mohammad Alauddin, 2005. "Trade liberalization in Bangladesh: the process and its impact on macro variables particularly export expansion," Journal of Developing Areas, Tennessee State University, College of Business, vol. 39(1), pages 127-150, September.
- Shah, Tushaar, 2007. "The groundwater economy of South Asia: an assessment of size, significance and socio-ecological impacts," IWMI Books, Reports H039669, International Water Management Institute.
- Mahajan, G. & Bharaj, T.S. & Timsina, J., 2009. "Yield and water productivity of rice as affected by time of transplanting in Punjab, India," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 525-532, March.
- A. Colin Cameron & Pravin K. Trivedi, 2010. "Microeconometrics Using Stata, Revised Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number musr, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolec:v:93:y:2013:i:c:p:210-218. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.