Vietnam's Accession to the WTO: Expost Evaluation in a Dynamic Perspective
This paper aims to reassess the impact of Vietnam's accession to the WTO using a quantitative computable genera equilibrium (CGE) approach. First, a recursive dynamic approach helps to better handle the effects of the commitments in the context of a rapid economic growth. Second, thanks to the ex posf perspective, tariff line commitments are implemented at the 6-digits level of Harmonised System (HS6| using the official final schedule. Last, the WTO option is evaluated in a more realistic context where regional agreements involving Vietnam are represented. We show that WTO commitments signed in late 2006 by Vietnam for trade in merchandise should be positive for this economy, mainly through the benefits of the end of textile quotas from the United States. Welfare gains should represent around 1 percent of gross domestic product by 2015.
Volume (Year): (2009)
Issue (Month): 118 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 01 53 68 55 00
Fax: 33 01 53 68 55 01
Web page: http://www.cepii.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard E. Baldwin & Rikard Forslid, 2006.
"Trade Liberalization with Heterogenous Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
12192, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Decreux, Yvan & Valin, Hugo, 2007.
"MIRAGE, Updated Version of the Model for Trade Policy Analysis: Focus on Agriculture and Dynamics,"
7284, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Yvan Decreux & Hugo Valin, 2007. "MIRAGE, Updated Version of the Model for Trade Policy Analysis: Focus on Agriculture and Dynamics," Working Papers 2007-15, CEPII research center.
- Philip Abbott & Jeanet Bentzen & Finn Tarp, 2007.
"Vietnam’s Accession to the WTO: Lessons from Past Trade Agreements,"
07-06, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Abbott, Philip & Bentzen, Jeanet & Tarp, Finn, 2006. "Vietnam’s Accession to the WTO: Lessons from Past Trade Agreements," MPRA Paper 61679, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Antoine Bouet, Yvan Decreux, Sébastien Jean, 2005.
"Multilateral agricultural trade liberalization: The contrasting fortunes of developing countries in the Doha Round,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Antoine Bou�t & Jean-Christophe Bureau & Yvan Decreux & Sébastien Jean, 2005. "Multilateral Agricultural Trade Liberalisation: The Contrasting Fortunes of Developing Countries in the Doha Round," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(9), pages 1329-1354, 09.
- Antoine BouÃ«t & Jean-Christophe Bureau & Yvan Decreux & SÃ©bastien Jean, 2005. "Multilateral agricultural trade liberalisation : the contrasting fortunes of developing countries in the Doha round," Working Papers 156783, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Antoine Bouët & Jean-Christophe Bureau & Yvan Decreux & Sébastien Jean, 2004. "Multilateral Agricultural Trade Liberalization: The Contrasting Fortunes of Developing Countries in the Doha Round," Working Papers 2004-18, CEPII research center.
- Ianchovichina, Elena, 2004.
"Trade policy analysis in the presence of duty drawbacks,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 353-371, April.
- Ianchovichina, Elena, 2002. "Trade policy analysis in the presence of duty drawbacks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3312, The World Bank.
- Marouani, Mohamed Ali, 2002.
"Imperfections du marché du travail et modèles d’équilibre général calculables : une revue de littérature,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/4566, Paris Dauphine University.
- Mohamed Ali Marouani, 2002. "Imperfections du marché du travail et modèles d’équilibre général calculables : une revue de littérature," Working Papers DT/2002/16, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Fujii, Tomoki & Roland-Holst, David, 2007.
"How Does Vietnam's Accession to the World Trade Organization Change the Spatial Incidence of Poverty?,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Fujii, Tomoki & Roland-Holst, David, 2008. "How does Vietnam's accession to the World Trade Organization change the spatial incidence of poverty?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4521, The World Bank.
- Chaponniere, Jean-Raphael & Cling, Jean-Pierre & Zhou, Bin, 2008. "Vietnam Following in China?s Footsteps: The Third Wave of Emerging Asian Economies," Working Paper Series RP2008/84, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- David Vanzetti & Pham Lan Huong, 2006. "Vietnam's Trade Policy Dilemmas," Trade Working Papers 22036, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Jean-Pierre Cling & Mohamed Ali Marouani & Mireille Razafindrakoto & Anne-Sophie Robilliard & François Roubaud, 2008. "The Vietnam’s terms of accession and distributional impact of WTO membership," Working Papers DT/2008/03, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Emiko Fukase & Will Martin, 2000. "The effects of the United States granting MFN status to Vietnam," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 539-559, 09.
- Yoko Niimi & Puja Vasudeva Dutta & Alan Winters, 2003.
"Trade Liberalisation and Poverty Dynamics in Vietnam,"
PRUS Working Papers
17, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- Niimi, Yoko & Vasudeva Dutta, Puja, 2007. "Trade Liberalisation and Poverty Dynamics in Vietnam," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 22, pages 819-851.
- Roland-Holst, David & Tarp, Finn & Dinh, Van An & Thanh, Vo Tri & Huong, Pham Lan & Dinh, Hien Minh, 2002. "Vietnam’s Accession to the World Trade Organization: Economic Projections to 2020," MPRA Paper 29417, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jensen, Henning Tarp & Tarp, Finn, 2007. "A Vietnam Social Accounting Matrix (SAM) for the Year 2003," MPRA Paper 29822, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cii:cepiei:2009-2ta. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.