Trade and Development: Lessons from Vietnam's Past Trade Agreements
Summary History, not predictions of CGE models or cross-country growth studies, shows a strong relationship between trade and development. Vietnam's experience with bilateral trade agreements, comparing actual outcomes with predictions from existing models, demonstrates this and the limitations of research methodologies. Forecasts for Vietnam greatly underestimated the impact of past agreements because tariff reform was not the main factor driving adjustments. Addressing market imperfections through institutional reform was central to bringing output and trade expansion. Key questions for future research are whether policy reform will result in new institutional changes, and how resulting incentives determine the evolution of investment by sector.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ianchovichina, Elena, 2003. "GTAP-DD: A Model for Analyzing Trade Reforms in the Presence of Duty Drawbacks," GTAP Technical Papers 1192, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Wolfgang Keller, 2004.
"International Technology Diffusion,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 42(3), pages 752-782, September.
- David Vanzetti & Pham Lan Huong, 2006. "Vietnam's Trade Policy Dilemmas," Trade Working Papers 22036, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Kym Anderson & Will Martin, 2005.
"Agricultural Trade Reform and the Doha Development Agenda,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(9), pages 1301-1327, 09.
- Will Martin & Kym Anderson, 2006. "Agricultural Trade Reform and the Doha Development Agenda," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6889.
- Anderson, Kym & Martin, Will, 2005. "Agricultural trade reform and the Doha development agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3607, The World Bank.
- Kym Anderson & Will Martin, 2005. "Agricultural Trade Reform and the Doha Development Agenda," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2005-17, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Chan, Nguyen & Dung, Tran Kim & Ghosh, Madanmohan & Whalley, John, 2005. "Adjustment costs in labour markets and the distributional effects of trade liberalization: Analytics and calculations for Vietnam," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1009-1024, December.
- Feder, Gershon, 1983. "On exports and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 59-73.
- Dean A. DeRosa & John P. Gilbert, 2005. "Predicting Trade Expansion under FTAs and Multilateral Agreements," Working Paper Series WP05-13, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Jonathan Temple, 1999. "The New Growth Evidence," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(1), pages 112-156, March.
- Amelia U. Santos-Paulino, 2005. "Trade Liberalisation and Economic Performance: Theory and Evidence for Developing Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(6), pages 783-821, 06.
- David H. Romer & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1999. "Does Trade Cause Growth?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 379-399, June.
- Thomas Barnebeck Andersen & Carl-Johan Dalgaard, 2006.
"Cross-Border Flows of People, Technology Diffusion and Aggregate Productivity,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c011_006, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Thomas Barnebeck Andersen & Carl-Johan Dalgaard, 2006. "Cross-Border Flows of People, Technology Diffusion and Aggregate Productivity," Discussion Papers 06-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Niimi, Yoko & Vasudeva Dutta, Puja, 2007.
"Trade Liberalisation and Poverty Dynamics in Vietnam,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 22, pages 819-851.
- Yoko Niimi & Puja Vasudeva Dutta & Alan Winters, 2003. "Trade Liberalisation and Poverty Dynamics in Vietnam," PRUS Working Papers 17, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- Smarzynska, Beata K., 2002.
"Does foreign direct investment increase the productivity of domestic firms : in search of spillovers through backward linkages,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2923, The World Bank.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik, 2004. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers Through Backward Linkages," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 605-627, June.
- Beata K. Smarzynska, 2003. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers through Backward Linkages," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 548, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Robert McDougall & Thomas W. Hertel, 2000. "A Disequilibrium Model of International Capital Mobility," GTAP Working Papers 399, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Tarp Jensen, Henning & Tarp, Finn, 2004.
"Trade Liberalization and Spatial Inequality: A Methodological Innovation in Vietnamese Perspective,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Henning Tarp Jensen & Finn Tarp, 2005. "Trade Liberalization and Spatial Inequality: a Methodological Innovation in a Vietnamese Perspective," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 69-86, 02.
- Stephen Tokarick, 2008. "Dispelling Some Misconceptions about Agricultural Trade Liberalization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 199-216, Winter.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to Cross-National Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:37:y:2009:i:2:p:341-353. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.