Vietnam's Export-Led Growth Model and Competition with China
The emergence of China has raised some doubts concerning the possibility for new Asian countries to take off and join the group of emerging countries. This paper addresses this question in the case of Vietnam, which has been following China's path closely and very successfully during the last two decades. We first describe Vietnam's export-led growth strategy, and its results in terms of economic growth and world integration. Then we analyze Vietnam trade specialization compared to China's and other Asian emerging countries'. Finally, we show that Vietnam's and China's export structures are very different and that China is not "crowding out" Vietnam for textile & clothing products on the US market. In the long term, a major challenge for Vietnam is to diversify exports and take part in the regional production network.
Volume (Year): (2009)
Issue (Month): 118 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 113, rue de Grenelle, 75700 Paris SP07|
Phone: 33 01 53 68 55 00
Fax: 33 01 53 68 55 01
Web page: http://www.cepii.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-1037, October.
- Sanjaya Lall and Manuel Albaladejo (QEH), "undated".
"China’s Competitive Performance: A Threat To East Asian Manufactured Exports?,"
QEH Working Papers
qehwps110, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Albaladejo, Manuel, 2004. "China's Competitive Performance: A Threat to East Asian Manufactured Exports?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1441-1466, September.
- Anh Ngoc Nguyen & Nguyen Thang & Le Dang Trung & Ngoc Quang Pham & Chuc Dinh Nguyen & Nhat Duc Nguyen, 2008.
"Foreign Direct Investment in Vietnam: Is There Any Evidence Of Technological Spillover Effects,"
18, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Nguyen, Anh Ngoc & Nguyen, Thang & Le, Dang Trung & Pham, Quang Ngoc & Nguyen, Dinh Chuc & Nguyen, Duc Nhat, 2008. "Foreign direct investment in Vietnam: Is there any evidence of technological spillover effects," MPRA Paper 7273, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2007.
"The Rise of China and East Asian Export Performance: Is the Crowding-out Fear Warranted?,"
Departmental Working Papers
2007-10, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2009. "The Rise of China and East Asian Export Performance: Is the Crowding-Out Fear Warranted?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 234-266, 02.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra & Yamashita, Nobuaki, 2006.
"Production fragmentation and trade integration: East Asia in a global context,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 233-256, December.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Nobuaki Yamashita, 2005. "Production Fragmentation and Trade Integration: East Asia in a Global Context," Departmental Working Papers 2005-07, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael & Messner, Dirk, 2008. "Introduction: The Impact of Asian Drivers on the Developing World," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 197-209, February.
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2008.
"Specialization across varieties and North-South competition,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 23, pages 51-91, 01.
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2008. "Specialization across varieties and North-South competition," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00270494, HAL.
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2007. "Specialisation across Varieties within Products and North-South Competition," Working Papers 2007-06, CEPII research center.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2006.
"What's So Special about China's Exports?,"
Working Paper Series
rwp06-001, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Barry Eichengreen & Yeongseop Rhee & Hui Tong, 2004. "The Impact of China on the Exports of Other Asian Countries," NBER Working Papers 10768, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Harrigan & Haiyan Deng, 2010.
"China's Local Comparative Advantage,"
in: China's Growing Role in World Trade, pages 109-133
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean-Pierre Cling & Mohamed Ali Marouani & Mireille Razafindrakoto & Anne-Sophie Robilliard & Francois Roubaud, 2009. "The Distributive Impact of Vietnam's Accession to the WTO," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 118, pages 43-71.
- Finger, J M & Kreinin, M E, 1979. "A Measure of 'Export Similarity' and Its Possible Uses," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 905-912, December.
- Junning Cai & PingSun Leung, 2008. "Towards a more general measure of revealed comparative advantage variation," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(9), pages 723-726.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2003.
"Product Fragmentation and Trade Patterns in East Asia,"
Departmental Working Papers
2003-21, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2005. "Product Fragmentation and Trade Patterns in East Asia," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 4(3), pages 1-27, October.
- Lee Branstetter & Nicholas Lardy, 2006. "China's Embrace of Globalization," NBER Working Papers 12373, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jörg MAYER, 1996. "Implications Of New Trade And Endogenous Growth Theories For Diversification Policies Of Commodity-Dependent Countries," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 122, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Ventura, Jaume, 2001.
"The World Income Distribution,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2973, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2006.
"Trade Policy Reforms and the Structure of Protection in Vietnam,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 161-187, 02.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2005. "Trade Policy Reforms and the Structure of Protection in Vietnam," Departmental Working Papers 2005-06, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Françoise Lemoine & Deniz Ünal-Kesenci, 2005. "China’s Integration in East Asia: Production Sharing, FDI & High-Tech Trade," Working Papers 2005-09, CEPII research center.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond Robertson, 2008.
"China and the Manufacturing Exports of Other Developing Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
14497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond Robertson, 2010. "China and the Manufacturing Exports of Other Developing Countries," NBER Chapters, in: China's Growing Role in World Trade, pages 137-159 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wade, Robert, 1998. "The Asian debt-and-development crisis of 1997-?: Causes and consequences," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1535-1553, August.
- Nguyen, Hoa & Grote, Ulrike, 2004. "Agricultural policies in Vietnam," MTID discussion papers 79, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ana Cuadros & Vicente Orts & Maite Alguacil, 2004. "Openness and Growth: Re-Examining Foreign Direct Investment, Trade and Output Linkages in Latin America," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(4), pages 167-192.
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2001.
"Trade, growth, and poverty,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2615, The World Bank.
- Chaponniere, Jean-Raphael & Cling, Jean-Pierre & Zhou, Bin, 2008. "Vietnam Following in China?s Footsteps: The Third Wave of Emerging Asian Economies," WIDER Working Paper Series 084, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Wolfgang HÄRDLE & J. MARRON & L. YANG, 1996. "Discussion," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1996,65, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cii:cepiei:2009-2td. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.