China's integration into global production networks and its implications for export-led growth strategy in other countries in the region
TThis paper examines the implications of China's rapid integration into global production networks for export performance of countries in Southeast Asia. In a clear departure from the conventional practice, the trade flow analysis of the paper is based on a careful disaggregation of reported trade data into components and final goods, with a view to delineating supply-side complementarities arising from cross-border production fragmentation. There is clear evidence that network-related trade in components has strengthened Southeast Asia's trade links with China, opening up new opportunities for the expansion of component production/assembly writhing vertically integrated global industries. However, these trade links with China have not lessoned the dependence of growth dynamism of these countries on the global economy; the dynamism of regional cross-border production networks depends inexorably on China's trade in final goods with North America and the European Union.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala, 2006. "Post-crisis export performance: The Indonesian experience in regional perspective," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 177-211.
- James Harrigan & Carolyn Evans, 2004.
"Distance, Time and Specialization,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
640, Econometric Society.
- Carolyn Evans & James Harrigan, 2003. "Distance, time, and specialization," International Finance Discussion Papers 766, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carolyn L. Evans & James Harrigan, 2003. "Distance, Time, and Specialization," NBER Working Papers 9729, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Albaladejo, Manuel, 2004.
"China's Competitive Performance: A Threat to East Asian Manufactured Exports?,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1441-1466, September.
- Sanjaya Lall and Manuel Albaladejo (QEH), . "China’s Competitive Performance: A Threat To East Asian Manufactured Exports?," QEH Working Papers qehwps110, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra & Yamashita, Nobuaki, 2006.
"Production fragmentation and trade integration: East Asia in a global context,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 233-256, December.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Nobuaki Yamashita, 2005. "Production Fragmentation and Trade Integration: East Asia in a Global Context," Departmental Working Papers 2005-07, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Robert E. Lipsey & Haiyan Deng & Alyson C. Ma & Hengyong Mo, 2005. "World Trade Flows: 1962-2000," NBER Working Papers 11040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003.
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2003.
"Product Fragmentation and Trade Patterns in East Asia,"
Departmental Working Papers
2003-21, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2005. "Product Fragmentation and Trade Patterns in East Asia," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 4(3), pages 1-27, October.
- L. Alan Winters & Shahid Yusuf, 2007. "Dancing with the Giants: China, India, and the Global Economy," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6632.
- Alessandro Nicita & Marcelo Olarreaga, 2007. "Trade, Production, and Protection Database, 1976--2004," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 21(1), pages 165-171.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:papers:2008-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.