Fighting Irrelevance: The Role of Regional Trade Agreements in International Production Networks in Asia
- Mia Mikic() (United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP))Mochamad Pasha() (Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS))Registered editor(s):
This publication brings together the main research outputs delivered under a common theme "Regional trade agreements and international production networks" of the Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT) research programme, Phase II (2008-2010). The study was divided into three parts. The introduction to part I presents the research questions that were explored in the study and describes the structure of the book. Chaper 2 summarizes the literature on determinants for existence and evolution of global value chains and international production networks, the impact of changes in trade policy and, more specifically, regional trade liberalization. Chapter 3 provides a synthesis of the findings under each of the sectoral case studies in selected Asian countries: (a) the automobile industry in China, India and Indonesia; (b) the computer hard drive sector in Thailand; and (c) the textile and clothing sector in Bangladesh. Part II contains the sectoral papers (chapters 4 to 8). Part III focuses on identifying some recommendations to policymakers on how to approach trade liberalizatiion under regional trade agreements in order to benefit existing production networks and promote the development of new ones.
|This book is provided by United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) in its series STUDIES IN TRADE AND INVESTMENT with number tipub2597 and published in 2011.|
|Note:||A study by the Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The United Nations Building, Rajadamnern Nok Avenue, Bangkok 10200|
Phone: (66-2) 288-1234
Fax: (66-2) 288-1000
Web page: http://www.unescap.org/
More information through EDIRC
|The following chapters of this book are listed in IDEAS:|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kala Krishna, 2005. "Understanding Rules of Origin," NBER Working Papers 11150, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-959, December.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala, 2006. "Post-crisis export performance: The Indonesian experience in regional perspective," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 177-211.
- Richard Baldwin, 2006.
"Multilateralising Regionalism: Spaghetti Bowls as Building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
12545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard E. Baldwin, 2011. "Multilateralising Regionalism: Spaghetti Bowls as Building Blocks on the Path to Global Free Trade," Chapters, in: International Handbook on the Economics of Integration, Volume I, chapter 2 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Richard E. Baldwin, 2006. "Multilateralising Regionalism: Spaghetti Bowls as Building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(11), pages 1451-1518, November.
- Baldwin, Richard, 2006. "Multilateralising Regionalism: Spaghetti Bowls as Building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 5775, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Baldwin, 2007. "Multilateralising Regionalism: Sphagetti Bowls as building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade," Working Papers id:1231, eSocialSciences.
- Kawai, Masahiro & Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2011. "Asian FTAs: Trends, prospects and challenges," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-22, February.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2009.
"The Rise of China and East Asian Export Performance: Is the Crowding-Out Fear Warranted?,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 234-266, 02.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2007. "The Rise of China and East Asian Export Performance: Is the Crowding-out Fear Warranted?," Departmental Working Papers 2007-10, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Kimura, Fukunari & Ando, Mitsuyo, 2005. "Two-dimensional fragmentation in East Asia: Conceptual framework and empirics," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 317-348.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala, 2008.
"Singapore And Asean In The New Regional Division Of Labor,"
The Singapore Economic Review (SER),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 53(03), pages 479-508.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2006. "Singapore and ASEAN in the New Regional Division of Labour," Departmental Working Papers 2006-11, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, 2005. "The Determinants of EU Processing Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(2), pages 147-168, 02.
- Grubel, Herbert G & Lloyd, P J, 1971. "The Empirical Measurement of Intra- Industry Trade," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 47(120), pages 494-517, December.
- Manchin, Miriam & Pelkmans-Balaoing, Annette O., 2007. "Rules of origin and the web of East Asian free trade agreements," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4273, The World Bank.
- Nagesh Kumar, 2007. "Regional Economic Integration, Foreign Direct Investment and Efficiency-Seeking Industrial Restructuring in Asia : The Case of India," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22110, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hummels, David & Ishii, Jun & Yi, Kei-Mu, 2001.
"The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 75-96, June.
- David L. Hummels & Jun Ishii & Kei-Mu Yi, 1999. "The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade," Staff Reports 72, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Shahid Yusuf & M. Anjum Altaf & Kaoru Nabeshima, 2004. "Global Production Networking and Technological Change in East Asia," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14918.
- Kimura, Fukunari & Ando, Mitsuyo, 2003. "Fragmentation and agglomeration matter: Japanese multinationals in Latin America and East Asia," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 287-317, December.
- Baldwin, Richard & Martin, Philippe, 2003.
"Agglomeration and Regional Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3960, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Börje Johansson & John Quigley, 2003.
"Agglomeration and networks in spatial economies,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 83(1), pages 165-176, October.
- Johansson, BÃ¶rje & Quigley, John M., 2004. "Agglomeration and Networks in Spatial Economies," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt6g49t7n4, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Haryo Aswicahyono & Titik Anas, 2000. "Understanding the Patterns of Trade in the ASEAN Automotive Industry," CSIS Economics Working Paper Series WPE056, Centre for Strategic and International Studies, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Ernst, Dieter & Kim, Linsu, 2002. "Global production networks, knowledge diffusion, and local capability formation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1417-1429, December.
- Dieter Ernst, 2002. "Global Production Networks in East Asia's Electronics Industry and Upgrading Perspectives in Malaysia," Economics Study Area Working Papers wp44, East-West Center, Economics Study Area, revised Oct 2003.
- Fukunari Kimura & Ayako Obashi, 2008. "East Asian Production Networks and the Rise of China: Regional Diversity in Export Performance," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2008-004, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Kimura, Fukunari & Takahashi, Yuya & Hayakawa, Kazunobu, 2007. "Fragmentation and parts and components trade: Comparison between East Asia and Europe," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 23-40, February.
- Fukunari KIMURA, 2009.
"The Spatial Structure of Production/Distribution Networks and Its Implication for Technology Transfers and Spillovers,"
d005, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Fukunari Kimura, 2010. "The Spatial Structure of Production/Distribution Networks and its Implication for Technology Transfers and Spillovers," Chapters, in: Input Trade and Production Networks in East Asia, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Thee Kian Wie, 2007. "Indonesia," Chapters, in: Handbook on the Northeast and Southeast Asian Economies, chapter 9 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- ANDO Mitsuyo & KIMURA Fukunari, 2007. "International Production/Distribution Networks and Domestic Operations in terms of Employment and Corporate Organization: Microdata Analysis of Japanese Firms," Discussion papers 07063, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Yung Chul Park & Kwanho Shin, 2009. "Economic Integration and Changes in the Business Cycle in East Asia: Is the Region Decoupling from the Rest of the World?-super-," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 8(1), pages 107-140, January.
- Biswajit Nag & Saikat Banerjee & Rittwik Chatterjee, 2007. "Changing Features of the Automobile Industry in Asia:Comparison of Production, Trade and Market Structure in Selected Countries," Working Papers 3707, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2005.
"Product Fragmentation and Trade Patterns in East Asia,"
Asian Economic Papers,
MIT Press, vol. 4(3), pages 1-27, October.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2003. "Product Fragmentation and Trade Patterns in East Asia," Departmental Working Papers 2003-21, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Dieter Ernst, 2000. "The Economics of Electronics Industry: Competitive Dynamics and Industrial Organization," Economics Study Area Working Papers 07, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Archanun Kohpaiboon, 2009. "East Asian Exports in the Global Economic Crisis: The Decoupling Fallacy and Post-crisis Policy Challenges," Departmental Working Papers 2009-13, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Fukunari KIMURA, 2006. "International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia: Eighteen Facts, Mechanics, and Policy Implications," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 1(2), pages 326-344.
- Arndt, Sven W. & Kierzkowski, Henryk (ed.), 2001. "Fragmentation: New Production Patterns in the World Economy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199243310, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unt:ecbook:tipub2597. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mia Mikic)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.