Regional Economic Integration, Foreign Direct Investment and Efficiency-Seeking Industrial Restructuring in Asia : The Case of India
This paper examines the Indias RTAs policy in Asia and the emerging patterns of efficiency-seeking industrial restructuring unleashed by it. Section 2 provides a discussion of the analytical relationship between RTAs, patterns of trade, FDI resulting from the industrial restructuring. It also summarizes some examples of industrial restructuring of the type the EUs Single Market Plan has led to. Section 3 summarizes the Indias RTA policy in Asia and indicators of its growing economic integration with East Asian countries. Section 4 highlights the emerging patterns of industrial restructuring resulting from Indias RTAs policy. Section 5 concludes the paper with a few remarks on the importance of a broader framework for regional economic integration.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Medvedev, Denis, 2006. "Beyond trade : the impact of preferential trade agreements on foreign direct investment inflows," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4065, The World Bank.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher M. Towe & Guy Meredith, 2004. "How Has Nafta Affected the Mexican Economy? Review and Evidence," IMF Working Papers 04/59, International Monetary Fund.
- Nagesh Kumar, 1998. "Multinational enterprises, regional economic integration, and export-platform production in the host countries: An empirical analysis for the US and Japanese corporations," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 134(3), pages 450-483, September.
- Nagesh Kumar, 2000. "Explaining the geography and depth of international production: The case of US and Japanese multinational enterprises," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 442-477, 09.
- Mukul G. Asher & Rahul Sen, 2005. "India-East Asia Integration : A Win-Win for Asia," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22081, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:macroe:22110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.