The Demand For Beef Products: Cross-Section Estimation Of Demographic And Economic Effects
This paper presents estimates of the economic and demographic effects on the demand for steak, roast, and ground beef. Using an almost ideal demand system, the results indicate that demand is inelastic for steak and ground beef, elastic for roast, cross-price effects are significant, and all goods are Hicks-Allen substitutes. The impact of certain demographic effects, such as household size, region, tenancy, and ethnic origin, was generally quite significant. Other demographic variables, such as employment status, shopper, and occupation, were generally not significant.
Volume (Year): 13 (1988)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wales, T. J. & Woodland, A. D., 1983. "Estimation of consumer demand systems with binding non-negativity constraints," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 263-285, April.
- Alex Anas & Leon N. Moses, 1982.
"Qualitative Choice and the Blending of Discrete Alternatives,"
540S, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Anas, Alex & Moses, Leon N, 1984. "Qualitative Choice and the Blending of Discrete Alternatives," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(4), pages 547-55, November.
- Dagenais, Marcel G., 1973. "The use of incomplete observations in multiple regression analysis : A generalized least squares approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 317-328, December.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Meilke, Karl D., 1984.
"Parameter Stability And The U.S. Demand For Beef,"
Western Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 9(02), December.
- Woodland, A. D., 1979. "Stochastic specification and the estimation of share equations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 361-383, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:wjagec:32155. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.