Demand Analysis for Shrimp in the United States
This paper analyzes the demand for shrimp along with beef, pork, and chicken in the US food market, which contributes much to predicting supply strategies, consumer preferences and policy making. It focuses on the own and cross relationship between the expenditure share and price, income changes. An Almost Ideal Demand System (AIDs) model and two alternative specifications are used to estimate a system of expenditure share equations for shrimp, beef, pork, and chicken. Empirical results indicated that some insignificant slope coefficients and inappropriate signs of them did not comply with microeconomic theory. This could be caused by heteroscedasticity, autocorrelation, a limitation in the data used, or shrimp is a commodity that is quite different.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adams, Charles M. & Prochaska, Fred J. & Spreen, Thomas H., 1987.
"Price Determination in the U.S. Shrimp Market,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 103-111, December.
- Adams, Charles M. & Prochaska, Fred J. & Spreen, Thomas H., 1987. "Price Determination In The U.S. Shrimp Market," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- Douglas Fisher & Adrian R. Fleissig & Apostolos Serletis, 2006. "An Empirical Comparison of Flexible Demand System Functional Forms," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Money And The Economy, chapter 13, pages 247-277 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Douglas Fisher & Adrian R. Fleissig & Apostolos Serletis, 2001. "An empirical comparison of flexible demand system functional forms," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 59-80.
- Heien, Dale & Pompelli, Greg, 1988. "The Demand For Beef Products: Cross-Section Estimation Of Demographic And Economic Effects," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(01), July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea08:6524. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.