Relationships Between Produce Supply Firms And Retailers In The New Food Supply Chain
Increased consolidation in the retail food industry, retail discount stores'Â’ expansion into food, and the use of information technology have created a new breed of retail grocery establishments that are rapidly capturing a growing share of the retail food business. In order to study the relationships between produce suppliers and buyers and to offer strategies for small and medium-sized produce supply firms, executives representing a Pacific Northwest sample of produce supply firms and major retail chains were interviewed. The results presented and evaluated in this paper are based on information obtained from these interviews, current business practices, and evolving relationships between large retail buyers and small and medium-sized suppliers of fresh produce and frozen fruits and vegetables.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricks, Donald J. & Woods, Timothy A. & Sterns, James A., 1999. "Supply Chain Management: Improving Vertical Coordination In Fruit Industries," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 30(3), November.
- Kinsey, Jean D., 1998. "Concentration Of Ownership In Food Retailing: A Review Of The Evidence About Consumer Impact," Working Papers 14329, University of Minnesota, The Food Industry Center.
- Robert P. King & Paul F. Phumpiu, 1996. "Reengineering the Food Supply Chain: The ECR Initiative in the Grocery Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1181-1186.
- Epperson, James E. & Estes, Edmund A., 1999. "Fruit And Vegetable Supply-Chain Management, Innovations, And Competitiveness: Cooperative Regional Research Project S-222," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 30(3), November.
- Wilson, Paul N. & Thompson, Gary D. & Cook, Roberta L., 1997. "Mother Nature, Business Strategy, and Fresh Produce," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 12(1).
- Park, John L. & McLaughlin, Edward W., 1998. "New Developments In Grocery Manufacturer And Distributor Marketing Programs: A Survey Of U.S. Wholesalers And Retailers," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 29(2), July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlofdr:27810. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.