Dynamic adaptation to resource scarcity and backstop availability: theory and application to groundwater
In this paper we analyse the optimal management of a renewable resource (groundwater) with stock-dependent extraction cost and a backstop substitute, facing two-sector linear demands. Application to the Kiti region in Cyprus demonstrates the model’s performance and is used to test for the difference between optimal and myopic behaviour. It is found that the presence of a backstop resource diminishes the importance of optimal dynamic behaviour, whereas in the absence of backstop the optimal control solution yields a value for social welfare significantly larger than the myopic policy.
Volume (Year): 50 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phoebe Koundouri, 2004.
"Current Issues in the Economics of Groundwater Resource Management,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(5), pages 703-740, December.
- Phoebe Koundouri, "undated". "Current issues in the economics of groundwater resource management," DEOS Working Papers 0402, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Koundouri, Phoebe, 2004. "Current issues in the economics of groundwater resource management," MPRA Paper 38425, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Koundouri, Phoebe, 2000. "Three approaches to measuring natural resource scarcity: theory and application to groundwater," MPRA Paper 38265, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tsur, Yacov & Zemel, Amos, 2000. "R&D policies for desalination technologies," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 73-85, December.
- Kim, C. S. & Moore, Michael R. & Hanchar, John J. & Nieswiadomy, Michael, 1989. "A dynamic model of adaptation to resource depletion: theory and an application to groundwater mining," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 66-82, July.
- Tsur Yacov & Zemel Amos, 1995. "Uncertainty and Irreversibility in Groundwater Resource Management," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 149-161, September.
- Provencher Bill & Burt Oscar, 1993. "The Externalities Associated with the Common Property Exploitation of Groundwater," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 139-158, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)