Rainwater Harvesting under Endogenous Capacity of Storage : a solution to aquifer preservation?
This paper studies groundwater management in the presence of rainwater harvesting (RWH). We propose a two-state model that takes into account the standard dynamics of the aquifer and the dynamics of the storage capacity and we assume that the collection of rainwater reduces the natural recharge. We analyze the trade-off between these two water harvesting techniques in an optimal control model. In particular, we show that when these techniques are pure substitutes, the development of RWH leads in the long run to a depletion of the water table even if pumping is reduced.
|Date of creation:||26 Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00626334/en/|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phoebe Koundouri & Christina Christou, 2006.
"Dynamic adaptation to resource scarcity and backstop availability: theory and application to groundwater ,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(2), pages 227-245, 06.
- Koundouri, Phoebe & Christou, Christina, 2006. "Dynamic adaptation to resource scarcity and backstop availability: theory and application to groundwater," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(2), June.
- Amigues, J.-P. & Favard, P. & Gaudet, G. & Moreaux, M., 1996.
"On The Optimal Order of Natural Resourse Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute is Limited,"
96.431, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Amigues, Jean-Pierre & Favard, Pascal & Gaudet, Gerard & Moreaux, Michel, 1998. "On the Optimal Order of Natural Resource Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute Is Limited," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 153-170, May.
- Amigues, J-P & Favard, P & Gaudet, G & Moreaux, M, 1996. "On the Optimal Order of Natural Resource Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute is Limited," Cahiers de recherche 9628, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Amigues, J-P & Favard, P.author-name: Gaudet, G. & Moreaux, M, 1996. "On the Optimal Order of Natural Resource Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute is Limited," Cahiers de recherche 9628, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Engelbert Dockner & Gustav Feichtinger, 1991. "On the optimality of limit cycles in dynamic economic systems," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 53(1), pages 31-50, February.
- Knapp Keith C. & Olson Lars J., 1995. "The Economics of Conjunctive Groundwater Management with Stochastic Surface Supplies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 340-356, May.
- Gisser, Micha, 1983. "Groundwater: Focusing on the Real Issue," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(6), pages 1001-27, December.
- Christian Lehmann & Raquel Tsukada & Acácio Lourete, 2010. "Low-Cost Technologies Towards Achieving the Millennium Development Goals: The Case of Rainwater Harvesting," Policy Research Brief 12, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Bill Provencher, 1993. "A Private Property Rights Regime to Replenish a Groundwater Aquifer," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(4), pages 325-340.
- Saak, Alexander E. & Peterson, Jeffrey M., 2006.
"Groundwater Use under Incomplete Information,"
2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA
21190, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hubert Stahn & Agnès Tomini, 2010. "A drop of rainwater against a drop of groundwater: does rainwater harvesting really allow us to spare Groundwater?," Working Papers halshs-00443667, HAL.
- Tsur, Yacov & Graham-Tomasi, Theodore, 1991. "The buffer value of groundwater with stochastic surface water supplies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 201-224, November.
- Darrell Krulce & James A. Roumasset & Tom Wilson, 1997. "Optimal Management of a Renewable and Replaceable Resource: The Case of Coastal Groundwater," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1218-1228.
- Santiago Rubio & Begoña Casino, 2003. "Strategic Behavior and Efficiency in the Common Property Extraction of Groundwater," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(1), pages 73-87, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00626334. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.