(Anti-)Coordination Problems with Scarce Water Resources
This paper deals with the interactions between farmers who can choose between two water supplies (groundwater or rainwater) which are interdependent and have different productivities. Collecting rainwater reduces the amount of water that can replenish the aquifer and allows farmers to avoid the pumping cost externality (but increases the cost of pumping groundwater). We show that multiple equilibria can exist. For a policy-maker, this immediately raises the equilibrium selection issue. This problem is worsened by the fact that the number of equilibria increases with a decrease in the recharge rate. In addition, comparative statics show that, depending on the equilibrium, a policy intervention can have opposite effects. Finally, we show that asymmetric equilibria can also exist, when one group of farmers chooses to harvest rainwater to avoid the pumping cost externality and the other group chooses to pump groundwater.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Raymond Dugrand, CS 79606, 34960 Montpellier Cedex 2|
Web page: http://www.lameta.univ-montp1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gemma, Masahiko & Tsur, Yacov, 2007. "The Stabilization Value Of Groundwater And Conjunctive Water Management Under Uncertainty," Discussion Papers 7138, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Phoebe Koundouri, 2004.
"Current Issues in the Economics of Groundwater Resource Management,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(5), pages 703-740, December.
- Phoebe Koundouri, . "Current issues in the economics of groundwater resource management," DEOS Working Papers 0402, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Koundouri, Phoebe, 2004. "Current issues in the economics of groundwater resource management," MPRA Paper 38425, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Catarina Roseta-Palma, 2003. "Joint Quantity/Quality Management of Groundwater," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(1), pages 89-106, September.
- Santiago Rubio & Begoña Casino, 2003. "Strategic Behavior and Efficiency in the Common Property Extraction of Groundwater," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(1), pages 73-87, September.
- Tsur, Yacov & Graham-Tomasi, Theodore, 1991. "The buffer value of groundwater with stochastic surface water supplies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 201-224, November.
- Hubert Stahn & Agnès Tomini, 2010. "A drop of rainwater against a drop of groundwater: does rainwater harvesting really allow us to spare Groundwater?," Working Papers halshs-00443667, HAL.
- Roumasset, James A. & Wada, Christopher A., 2012. "Ordering the extraction of renewable resources: The case of multiple aquifers," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 112-128.
- Rubio, Santiago J. & Casino, Begona, 2001. "Competitive versus efficient extraction of a common property resource: The groundwater case," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 1117-1137, August.
- Moreaux, Michel & Reynaud, Arnaud, 2006. "Urban freshwater needs and spatial cost externalities for coastal aquifers: A theoretical approach," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 163-186, March.
- Sittidaj Pongkijvorasin & James Roumasset, 2007.
"Optimal Conjunctive Use of Surface and Groundwater with Recharge and Return Flows: Dynamic and Spatial Patterns ,"
Review of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 29(3), pages 531-539.
- Sittidaj Pongkijvorasin & James Roumasset, 2007. "Optimal Conjunctive Use of Surface and Groundwater with Recharge and Return Flows: Dynamic and Spatial Patterns," Working Papers 200704, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Darrell Krulce & James A. Roumasset & Tom Wilson, 1997. "Optimal Management of a Renewable and Replaceable Resource: The Case of Coastal Groundwater," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1218-1228.
- Engwerda, J.C., 1998.
"On the open-loop Nash equilibrium in LQ-games,"
Other publications TiSEM
b0eba71b-2d15-471a-b057-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Hubert Stahn & Agnès Tomini, 2011. "Rainwater Harvesting under Endogenous Capacity of Storage : a solution to aquifer preservation?," Working Papers halshs-00626334, HAL.
- Knapp Keith C. & Olson Lars J., 1995. "The Economics of Conjunctive Groundwater Management with Stochastic Surface Supplies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 340-356, May.
- Provencher Bill & Burt Oscar, 1993. "The Externalities Associated with the Common Property Exploitation of Groundwater," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 139-158, March.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Umetsu, Chieko, 2003. "Basinwide water management: a spatial model," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 1-23, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lam:wpaper:12-28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Modat)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.