Real Output Costs of Financial Crises: A Loss Distribution Approach
AbstractWe study cross-country GDP losses due to financial crises in terms of frequency (number of loss events per period) and severity (loss per occurrence). We perform the Loss Distribution Approach (LDA) to estimate a multi-country aggregate GDP loss probability density function and the percentiles associated to extreme events due to financial crises. We find that output losses arising from financial crises are strongly heterogeneous and that currency crises lead to smaller output losses than debt and banking crises. Extreme global financial crises episodes, occurring with a one percent probability every five years, lead to losses between 2.95% and 4.54% of world GDP.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1201.0967.
Date of creation: Jan 2012
Date of revision: May 2012
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Daniel Kapp & Marco Vega, 2012. "Real Output Costs of Financial Crises: a Loss Distribution Approach," Documentos de Trabajo 2012-332, Departamento de Economía - Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú.
- Kapp, Daniel & Vega, Marco, 2012. "Real output costs of financial crises: a loss distribution approach," MPRA Paper 35706, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica & Gupta, Poonam, 2000.
"Inside the crisis : an empirical analysis of banking systems in distress,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2431, The World Bank.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica & Gupta, Poonam, 2006. "Inside the crisis: An empirical analysis of banking systems in distress," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 702-718, August.
- Poonam Gupta & Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2000. "Inside the Crisis - An Empirical Analysis of Banking Systems in Distress," IMF Working Papers 00/156, International Monetary Fund.
- Valerie Cerra & Sweta C. Saxena, 2005.
"Growth Dynamics: The Myth of Economic Recovery,"
- Sweta Chaman Saxena & Valerie Cerra, 2005. "Growth Dynamics: The Myth of Economic Recovery," IMF Working Papers 05/147, International Monetary Fund.
- Valerie Cerra & Sweta Chaman Saxena, 2007. "Growth dynamics: the myth of economic recovery," BIS Working Papers 226, Bank for International Settlements.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Marion Kohler & Christian Upper, 2009.
"Financial Crises and Economic Activity,"
NBER Working Papers
15379, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Marion Kohler & Christian Upper, 2009. "Financial crises and economic activity," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 89-135.
- N. F. R. Crafts, 1998.
"East Asian Growth Before and After the Crisis,"
IMF Working Papers
98/137, International Monetary Fund.
- Fabian Valencia & Luc Laeven, 2008. "Systemic Banking Crises: A New Database," IMF Working Papers 08/224, International Monetary Fund.
- Tito Cordella & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2006.
"A (New) Country Insurance Facility,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 1-36, 05.
- Tito Cordella & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2004.
Business School Working Papers
countryinsurance, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Tito Cordella & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2004. "Country Insurance," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 290, Econometric Society.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Tito Cordella, 2004. "Country Insurance," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 136, Econometric Society.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Tito Cordella, 2004. "Country Insurance," IMF Working Papers 04/148, International Monetary Fund.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999.
"The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems,"
14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Valerie Cerra & Sweta Chaman Saxena, 2003.
"Did Output Recover from the Asian Crisis?,"
IMF Working Papers
03/48, International Monetary Fund.
- Honohan, Patrick, 2002. "Comment on "Costs of banking system instability: Some empirical evidence"," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 857-860, May.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00639869 is not listed on IDEAS
- Patrick de Fontnouvelle & Eric Rosengren & John Jordan, 2007.
"Implications of Alternative Operational Risk Modeling Techniques,"
in: The Risks of Financial Institutions, pages 475-512
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick de Fontnouvelle & John Jordan & Eric Rosengren, 2005. "Implications of Alternative Operational Risk Modeling Techniques," NBER Working Papers 11103, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick de Fontnouvelle & Eric Rosengren & John Jordan, 2004. "Implications of alternative operational risk modeling techniques," Working Papers 04-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Zorobabel Bicaba & Daniel Kapp & Francesco Molteni, 2011.
"Stability periods between financial crises : The role of macroeconomic fundamentals and crises management policies,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Zorobabel Bicaba & Daniel Kapp & Francesco Molteni, 2011. "Stability periods between financial crises: The role of macroeconomic fundamentals and crises management policies," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 11064, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Barro, Robert, 2006. "Rare Disasters and Asset Markets in the Twentieth Century," Scholarly Articles 3208215, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Davide Furceri & Aleksandra Zdzienicka, 2011.
"The real effect of financial crises in the European transition economies,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 19(1), pages 1-25, 01.
- Davide Furceri & Aleksandra Zdzienicka-Durand, 2011. "The Real Effect of Financial Crises in the European Transition Economies," Post-Print halshs-00431044, HAL.
- Davide Furceri & Aleksandra Zdzienicka, 2009. "The Real Effect of Financial Crises in the European Transition Economies," Working Papers 0920, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Furceri, Davide & Zdzienicka, Aleksandra, 2012.
"How costly are debt crises?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 726-742.
- Gupta, Poonam & Mishra, Deepak & Sahay, Ratna, 2007. "Behavior of output during currency crises," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 428-450, July.
- Davide Furceri & Annabelle Mourougane, 2009.
"The Effect of Financial Crises on Potential Output: New Empirical Evidence from OECD Countries,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
699, OECD Publishing.
- Furceri, Davide & Mourougane, Annabelle, 2012. "The effect of financial crises on potential output: New empirical evidence from OECD countries," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 822-832.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 1998. "The Determinants of Banking Crises in Developing and Developed Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 81-109, March.
- Glenn Hoggarth & Ricardo Reis & Victoria Saporta, 2001.
"Costs of banking system instability: some empirical evidence,"
Bank of England working papers
144, Bank of England.
- Hoggarth, Glenn & Reis, Ricardo & Saporta, Victoria, 2002. "Costs of banking system instability: Some empirical evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 825-855, May.
- John H. Boyd & Pedro Gomis-Porqueras & Sungkyu Kwak & Bruce David Smith, 2014.
"A User's Guide to Banking Crises,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 15(2), pages 800-892, November.
- Don Hanna & Yiping Huang, 2002. "Bank Restructuring in Post-Crisis Asia," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 1(1), pages 3-42.
- Sweta Chaman Saxena & Valerie Cerra, 2000. "Alternative Methods of Estimating Potential Output and the Output Gap - An Application to Sweden," IMF Working Papers 00/59, International Monetary Fund.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 1998. "Capital Flows and Capital-Market Crises: The Simple Economics of Sudden Stops," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 35-54, November.
- Ricardo J. Caballero, 2003. "The Future of the IMF," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 31-38, May.
- Michael Bordo & Barry Eichengreen & Daniela Klingebiel & Maria Soledad Martinez-Peria, 2001. "Is the crisis problem growing more severe?," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 51-82, 04.
- Joshua Aizenman & Hiro Ito, 2013. "Living with the Trilemma Constraint: Relative Trilemma Policy Divergence, Crises, and Output Losses for Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 19448, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boonman, Tjeerd M., 2013. "Sovereign defaults, business cycles and economic growth in Latin America, 1870-2012," Research Report 13010-EEF, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.