A (New) Country Insurance Facility
AbstractTo cope with the self-fulfilling liquidity runs that have triggered many recent financial crises, we propose the creation of a country insurance facility. The facility, which we envisage as complementary to the existing multilateral lending facilities, would provide eligible countries with automatic access to a credit line at a predetermined interest rate. Eligibility criteria should be easily verifiable, focus on debt sustainability, and take into account the currency and maturity composition of the debt. Other critical design issues considered here include the size of the facility, its duration and charges, and the exit costs for a country that loses eligibility. Copyright 2006 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal International Finance.
Volume (Year): 9 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1367-0271
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haizhou Huang & C. A. E. Goodhart, 1999.
"A Model of the Lender of Last Resort,"
IMF Working Papers
99/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Romain Ranciere & Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann, 2004.
"Crises and Growth: A Re-Evaluation,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1160, CESifo Group Munich.
- Romain Rancière & Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann, 2002. "Crises and growth: A re-evaluation," Economics Working Papers 852, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Sep 2003.
- Fran Westermann & Romain Ranciere & Aaron Tornell, 2004. "Crises and Growth: A Re-evaluation," 2004 Meeting Papers 130, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Romaine Ranciere & Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann, 2003. "Crises and Growth: A Re-Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 10073, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Romain Ranciere & Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann, 2004. "Crises and Growth: A Re-evaluation," UCLA Economics Working Papers 832, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Morris Goldstein, 2001. "IMF Structural Conditionality: How Much is Too Much?," Working Paper Series WP01-4, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Paolo Mauro, 2004. "The case for GDP-indexed bonds," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 19(38), pages 165-216, 04.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 1988. "Servicing the Public Debt: The Role of Expectations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 647-61, September.
- Stanley Fischer, 1999. "On the Need for an International Lender of Last Resort," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 85-104, Fall.
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Panageas, Stavros, 2008.
"Hedging sudden stops and precautionary contractions,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 28-57, February.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Stavros Panageas, 2003. "Hedging Sudden Stops and Precautionary Contractions," NBER Working Papers 9778, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ethan Kaplan & Dani Rodrik, 2002.
"Did the Malaysian Capital Controls Work?,"
in: Preventing Currency Crises in Emerging Markets, pages 393-440
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaplan, Ethan & Rodrik, Dani, 2001. "Did the Malaysian Capital Controls Work?," Working Paper Series rwp01-008, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Kaplan, Ethan & Rodrik, Dani, 2001. "Did the Malaysian Capital Controls Work?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2754, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ethan Kaplan & Dani Rodrik, 2001. "Did the Malaysian Capital Controls Work?," NBER Working Papers 8142, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cordella, Tito & Yeyati, Eduardo Levy, 2003. "Bank bailouts: moral hazard vs. value effect," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 300-330, October.
- Suman S. Basu & Ran Bi & Prakash Kannan, 2010.
"Regional reserve pooling arrangements,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Oct.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta & Ashoka Mody, 2006.
"Sudden Stops and IMF-Supported Programs,"
NBER Working Papers
12235, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alain Ize & Miguel Kiguel & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2005. "Managing Systemic Liquidity Risk in Financially Dollarized Economy," Business School Working Papers managsystrisk, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2008.
"Liquidity Insurance in a Financially Dollarized Economy,"
in: Financial Markets Volatility and Performance in Emerging Markets, pages 185-218
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2006. "Liquidity Insurance in a Financially Dollarized Economy," Business School Working Papers liquid, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2006. "Liquidity Insurance in a Financially Dollarized Economy," NBER Working Papers 12345, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antonio Francisco A. Silva Jr, 2011. "The Self-insurance Role of International Reserves and the 2008-2010 Crisis," Working Papers Series 256, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Kapp, Daniel & Vega, Marco, 2012. "The Real Output Costs of Financial Crisis: A Loss Distribution Approach," Working Papers 2012-013, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- World Bank, 2008. "Country Insurance : Reducing Systemic Vulnerabilities in Latin America and the Caribbean," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8010, The World Bank.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2007.
"Insurance Underwriter or Financial Development Fund: What Role for Reserve Pooling in Latin America?,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 27-52, February.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2006. "Insurance Underwriter or Financial Development Fund: What Role for Reserve Pooling in Latin America?," NBER Working Papers 12451, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan David Ostry & Jeromin Zettelmeyer, 2005. "Strengthening IMF Crisis Prevention," IMF Working Papers 05/206, International Monetary Fund.
- Daniel Kapp, 2012. "The optimal size of the European Stability Mechanism: A cost-benefit analysis," DNB Working Papers 349, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Presbitero, Andrea F. & Zazzaro, Alberto, 2012. "IMF Lending in Times of Crisis: Political Influences and Crisis Prevention," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 1944-1969.
- Daniel Kapp & Marco Vega, 2012.
"Real Output Costs of Financial Crises: A Loss Distribution Approach,"
1201.0967, arXiv.org, revised May 2012.
- Daniel Kapp & Marco Vega, 2014. "Real output costs of financial crises: A loss distribution approach," Cuadernos de Economía - Spanish Journal of Economics and Finance, ELSEVIER, vol. 37(103), pages 13-28, Abril.
- Kapp, Daniel & Vega, Marco, 2012. "Real output costs of financial crises: a loss distribution approach," MPRA Paper 35706, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniel Kapp & Marco Vega, 2012. "Real Output Costs of Financial Crises: a Loss Distribution Approach," Documentos de Trabajo 2012-332, Departamento de Economía - Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú.
- Didier, Tatiana & Mauro, Paolo & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2008. "Vanishing financial contagion?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 775-791.
- Irwin, Gregor & Penalver, Adrian & Salmon, Chris & Taylor, Ashley, 2008. "Dealing with country diversity: challenges for the IMF credit union model," Bank of England working papers 349, Bank of England.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.