Citizens' trade-offs in state merger decisions: Evidence from a randomized survey experiment
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Alberto Alesina & Enrico Spolaore, 1997. "On the Number and Size of Nations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1027-1056.
- Austin, D. Andrew, 1999. "Politics vs Economics: Evidence from Municipal Annexation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 501-532, May.
- Niklas Hanes & Magnus WikstrÃ¶m & Erik WÃ¥ngmar, 2012. "Municipal Preferences for State-imposed Amalgamations: An Empirical Study Based on the Swedish Municipal Reform of 1952," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 49(12), pages 2733-2750, September.
- Ellingsen, Tore, 1998. "Externalities vs internalities: a model of political integration," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 251-268, May.
- repec:hrv:faseco:4553034 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thiess Büttner & Sebastian Hauptmeier, 2006. "Auswirkungen einer Länderfusion auf die öffentlichen Finanzen am Beispiel von Schleswig-Holstein und Hamburg," ifo Schnelldienst, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 59(10), pages 17-22, May.
- Saarimaa, Tuukka & Tukiainen, Janne, 2016.
"Local representation and strategic voting: Evidence from electoral boundary reforms,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 31-45.
- Tuukka Saarimaa & Janne Tukiainen, 2013. "Local representation and strategic voting: evidence from electoral boundary reforms," Working Papers 2013/32, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Tukiainen, Janne & Saarimaa, Tuukka, 2015. "Local Representation and Strategic Voting: Evidence from Electoral Boundary Reforms," Working Papers 64, VATT Institute for Economic Research.
- Benjamin Bruns & Ronny Freier & Abel Schumann, 2015. "Finding your right (or left) partner to merge," Working Papers 2015009, Berlin Doctoral Program in Economics and Management Science (BDPEMS).
- Reingewertz, Yaniv, 2012. "Do municipal amalgamations work? Evidence from municipalities in Israel," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 240-251.
- Zareh Asatryan & Annika Havlik & Frank Streif, 2017.
"Vetoing and inaugurating policy like others do: evidence on spatial interactions in voter initiatives,"
Springer, vol. 172(3), pages 525-544, September.
- Asatryan, Zareh & Havlik, Annika & Streif, Frank, 2015. "Vetoing and inaugurating policy like others do: Evidence on spatial interactions in voter initiatives," ZEW Discussion Papers 15-054, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
- Streif, Frank & Asatryan, Zareh & Havlik, Annika, 2016. "Vetoing and Inaugurating Policy Like Others Do: Evidence on Spatial Interactions in Voter Initiatives," Annual Conference 2016 (Augsburg): Demographic Change 145602, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Eric Weese, 2015.
"Political mergers as coalition formation: An analysis of the Heisei municipal amalgamations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 6(2), pages 257-307, July.
- Eric Weese, 2013. "Political Mergers as Coalition Formation: An Analysis of the Heisei Municipal Amalgamations," Working Papers 1022, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Weese, Eric, 2013. "Political Mergers as Coalition Formation: An Analysis of the Heisei Municipal Amalgamations," Working Papers 113, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Patrick Bolton & Gérard Roland, 1997.
"The Breakup of Nations: A Political Economy Analysis,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1057-1090.
- Bolton, Patrick & Roland, Gérard, 1995. "The Break up of Nations: A Political Economy Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 1225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Niemi, Richard G. & Craig, Stephen C. & Mattei, Franco, 1991. "Measuring Internal Political Efficacy in the 1988 National Election Study," American Political Science Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 85(4), pages 1407-1413, December.
- Lassen, David Dreyer & Serritzlew, Sã˜Ren, 2011. "Jurisdiction Size and Local Democracy: Evidence on Internal Political Efficacy from Large-scale Municipal Reform," American Political Science Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 105(2), pages 238-258, May.
- Blesse Sebastian & Berger Melissa & Heinemann Friedrich & Janeba Eckhard, 2017. "Föderalismuspräferenzen in der deutschen Bevölkerung," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, De Gruyter, vol. 18(2), pages 145-158, June.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Saarimaa, Tuukka & Tukiainen, Janne, 2014. "Electoral vulnerability and size of local governments: Evidence from voting on municipal mergers," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(C), pages 193-204.
- Ronny Freier & Benjamin Bruns & Abel Schumann, 2015. "Finding your right (or left) partner to merge," ERSA conference papers ersa15p188, European Regional Science Association.
- Saarimaa, Tuukka & Tukiainen, Janne, 2014. "I Don't Care to Belong to Any Club That Will Have Me as a Member: Empirical Analysis of Municipal Mergers," Political Science Research and Methods, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(1), pages 97-117, April.
- Lapointe, Simon, 2018.
"“Love thy neighbour”? The effect of income and language differences on votes for municipal secessions,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 229-245.
- Lapointe, Simon, 2018. ""Love Thy Neighbour"? The Effect of Income and Language Differences on Votes for Municipal Secessions," Working Papers 107, VATT Institute for Economic Research.
- Vöpel, Henning, 2006. "Wirtschaftsfaktor Fußball," HWWI Policy Reports 2, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Alberto Alesina & Reza Baqir & Caroline Hoxby, 2004.
"Political Jurisdictions in Heterogeneous Communities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(2), pages 348-396, April.
- Alberto Alesina & Reza Baqir & Caroline Hoxby, 2000. "Political Jurisdictions in Heterogeneous Communities," NBER Working Papers 7859, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoxby, Caroline & Baqir, Reza & Alesina, Alberto, 2004. "Political Jurisdictions in Heterogeneous Communities," Scholarly Articles 4552532, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Reza Baqir & Caroline Hoxby, 2002. "Political Jurisdictions in Heterogeneous Communities," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1949, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Brasington, David M., 1999. "Joint provision of public goods: the consolidation of school districts," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 373-393, September.
- Christian Bergholz & Ivo Bischoff, 2019. "Citizensâ€™ support for inter-municipal cooperation: evidence from a survey in the German state of Hesse," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 51(12), pages 1268-1283, March.
- Takeshi Miyazaki, 2014. "Municipal consolidation and local government behavior: evidence from Japanese voting data on merger referenda," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 387-410, November.
- Gordon, Nora & Knight, Brian, 2009. "A spatial merger estimator with an application to school district consolidation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(5-6), pages 752-765, June.
- Anna Brink, 2004. "The break-up of municipalities: Voting behavior in local referenda," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 119-135, July.
- Maarten A. Allers & J. Bieuwe Geertsema, 2016. "The Effects Of Local Government Amalgamation On Public Spending, Taxation, And Service Levels: Evidence From 15 Years Of Municipal Consolidation," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 659-682, September.
- Bischoff, Ivo & Heinemann, Friedrich & Hennighausen, Tanja, 2013. "What Makes Me See Inequality as Just?," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 133(1), pages 1-21.
- JonathanOld & FelixRösel, 2018. "Sparprojekt oder Milchmädchenrechnung? Die finanziellen Effekte eines Bundeslandes„Mitteldeutschland“," ifo Dresden berichtet, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 25(02), pages 12-17, April.
- Benjamin Bruns & Ronny Freier & Abel Schumann, 2015. "Finding Your Right (or Left) Partner to Merge," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1467, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Jens Blom‐Hansen & Kurt Houlberg & Søren Serritzlew, 2014. "Size, Democracy, and the Economic Costs of Running the Political System," American Journal of Political Science, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 58(4), pages 790-803, October.
- Felix Arnold & Ronny Freier & Martin Kroh, 2015. "Geteilte politische Kultur auch 25 Jahre nach der Wiedervereinigung?," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 82(37), pages 803-814.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Blesse, Sebastian & Buhlmann, Florian & Doerrenberg, Philipp, 2019. "Do people really want a simple tax system? Evidence on preferences towards income tax simplification," ZEW Discussion Papers 19-058, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
More about this item
Keywordsstate-level mergers; optimal design of federations; economies of scale; political representation; survey experiment; decentralization theorem;
- H11 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Structure and Scope of Government
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CDM-2020-01-06 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-EXP-2020-01-06 (Experimental Economics)
- NEP-POL-2020-01-06 (Positive Political Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:19054. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/zemande.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.