Price competition and reputation in markets for experience goods: An experimental study
We experimentally examine the effects of price competition in markets for expe-rience goods where sellers can build up reputations for quality. We compare price competition to monopolistic markets and markets where prices are exogenously fixed (somewhere between the endogenous oligopoly and monopoly prices). While oligopolies benefit consumers regardless of whether prices are fixed or endoge-nously chosen, we find that price competition lowers efficiency as consumers pay too little attention to reputation for quality. This provides empirical support to recent models in behavioral industrial organization that assume that consumers may with increasing complexity of the market place focus on selected dimensions of products. We also find that consumers' attention to quality and, hence, provided quality drops when regulated prices are set at levels that are too low.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++49 - 30 - 25491 - 0
Fax: ++49 - 30 - 25491 - 684
Web page: http://www.wzb.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Georg Kirchsteiger & Muriel Niederle & Jan Potters, 2005.
"Endogenizing Market Institutions: An Experimental Approach,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/149583, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Kirchsteiger, Georg & Niederle, Muriel & Potters, Jan, 2005. "Endogenizing market institutions: An experimental approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1827-1853, October.
- Kirchsteiger, G. & Niederle, M. & Potters, J.J.M., 2005. "Endogenizing market institutions : An experimental approach," Other publications TiSEM f9bbc06f-0d3d-41a7-8513-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Dufwenberg, Martin & Gneezy, Uri, 2000. "Measuring Beliefs in an Experimental Lost Wallet Game," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 163-182, February.
- Fehr, Ernst & Zehnder, Christian, 2009. "Reputation and Credit Market Formation: How Relational Incentives and Legal Contract Enforcement Interact," IZA Discussion Papers 4351, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Martin Brown & Armin Falk & Ernst Fehr, 2004.
"Relational Contracts and the Nature of Market Interactions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(3), pages 747-780, 05.
- Brown, Martin & Falk, Armin & Fehr, Ernst, 2003. "Relational Contracts and the Nature of Market Interactions," IZA Discussion Papers 897, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Iris Bohnet & Heike Harmgart & Steffen Huck & Jean-Robert Tyran, 2005. "Learning Trust," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(2-3), pages 322-329, 04/05.
- Seale, James L., Jr. & Regmi, Anita & Bernstein, Jason, 2003.
"International Evidence On Food Consumption Patterns,"
33580, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Seale, James & Regmi, Anita & Bernstein, Jason, 2003. "International Evidence on Food Consumption Patterns," Technical Bulletins 184321, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Iris Bohnet & Steffen Huck, 2004.
"Repetition and Reputation: Implications for Trust and Trustworthiness When Institutions Change,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 362-366, May.
- Iris Bohnet & Steffen Huck, 2004. "Repetition and Reputation: Implications for Trust and Trustworthiness When Institutions Change," CREMA Working Paper Series 2004-09, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Uwe Dulleck & Rudolf Kerschbamer & Matthias Sutter, 2011. "The Economics of Credence Goods: An Experiment on the Role of Liability, Verifiability, Reputation, and Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(2), pages 526-55, April.
- Rachel E. Kranton, 2003. "Competition and the Incentive to Produce High Quality," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 70(279), pages 385-404, 08.
- Davies, Ronald B. & Vadlamannati, Krishna Chaitanya, 2013.
"A race to the bottom in labor standards? An empirical investigation,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 103(C), pages 1-14.
- Ronald B. Davies & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati, 2011. "A race to the bottom in labour standards? An empirical investigation," Working Papers 201123, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Ronald B. Davies & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati, 2011. "A Race to the Bottom in Labour Standards? An Empirical Investigation," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp385, IIIS.
- Gary E. Bolton & Elena Katok & Axel Ockenfels, 2003.
"How Effective are Electronic Reputation Mechanisms? An Experimental Investigation,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
3, University of Cologne, Department of Economics.
- Gary E. Bolton & Elena Katok & Axel Ockenfels, 2004. "How Effective Are Electronic Reputation Mechanisms? An Experimental Investigation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(11), pages 1587-1602, November.
- Martin Dufwenberg & Uri Gneezy & Jacob Goeree & Rosemarie Nagel, 2007.
"Price floors and competition,"
Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 211-224, October.
- Huck, Steffen & Zhou, Jidong, 2011.
"Consumer behavioural biases in competition: A survey,"
31794, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Steffen Huck & Jidong Zhou, 2011. "Consumer Behavioural Biases in Competition: A Survey," Working Papers 11-16, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- KalaycI, Kenan & Potters, Jan, 2011. "Buyer confusion and market prices," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 14-22, January.
- Cason, T.N. & Gangadharan, L., 1999.
"Environmental Labeling and Incomplete Consumer Information in Laboratory Markets,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
708, The University of Melbourne.
- Cason, Timothy N. & Gangadharan, Lata, 2002. "Environmental Labeling and Incomplete Consumer Information in Laboratory Markets," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 113-134, January.
- Spiegler, Ran, 2006.
"Competition over agents with boundedly rational expectations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 1(2), pages 207-231, June.
- Ran Spiegler, 2005. "Competition over Agents with Boundedly Rational Expectations," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000535, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Urs Fischbacher, 2007. "z-Tree: Zurich toolbox for ready-made economic experiments," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 171-178, June.
- Markus Leibrecht & Claudia Hochgatterer, 2012. "Tax Competition As A Cause Of Falling Corporate Income Tax Rates: A Survey Of Empirical Literature," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 616-648, 09.
- Spiegler, Ran, 2011.
"Bounded Rationality and Industrial Organization,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780195398717.
- Riedl, Arno & Tyran, Jean-Robert, 2005.
"Tax liability side equivalence in gift-exchange labor markets,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(11-12), pages 2369-2382, December.
- Arno Riedl & Jean-Robert Tyran, 2003. "Tax Liability Side Equivalence in Gift-Exchange Labor Markets," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-065/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jean-Robert Tyran & Arno Riedl, 2003. "Tax Liability Side Equivalence in Gift-Exchange Labor Markets," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2003 2003-15, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Coursey, Don L & Smith, Vernon L, 1983. "Price Controls in a Posted Offer Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 218-21, March.
- Ernst Fehr & Simon Gachter & Georg Kirchsteiger, 1997.
"Reciprocity as a Contract Enforcement Device: Experimental Evidence,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 833-860, July.
- Georg Kirchsteiger & Ernst Fehr & Simon Gächter, 1997. "Reciprocity as a contract enforcement device: experimental evidence," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/5911, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Smith, Vernon L & Williams, Arlington W, 1981. "On Nonbinding Price Controls in a Competitive Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 467-74, June.
- Holt, Charles A & Sherman, Roger, 1990. "Advertising and Product Quality in Posted-Offer Experiments," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 28(1), pages 39-56, January.
- Isaac, R. Mark & Plott, Charles R., .
"Price Controls and the Behavior of Auction Markets: An Experimental Examination,"
253, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Isaac, R Mark & Plott, Charles R, 1981. "Price Controls and the Behavior of Auction Markets: An Experimental Examination," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 448-59, June.
- Wenner, Lukas, 2014. "Expected prices as reference points: Theory and experiments," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Economics of Change SP II 2014-306, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:wzbeoc:spii2013312. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.