Controllability and persistence of money market rates along the yield curve: evidence from the euro area
Controllability of longer-term interest rates requires that the persistence of their deviations from the central bank's policy rate (i.e. the policy spreads) remains sufficiently low. This paper applies fractional integration techniques to assess the persistence of policy spreads of euro area money market rates along the yield curve. Independently from anticipated policy rate changes, there is strong evidence for all maturities that policy spreads exhibit long memory. We show that recent changes in the operational framework and the communication strategy of the European Central Bank have significantly decreased the persistence of euro area policy spreads and, thus, have enhanced the central bank's in influence on longer-term money market rates.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (030) 838 2272
Fax: (030) 838 2129
Web page: http://www.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/en/index.htmlEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierluigi Balduzzi & Giuseppe Bertola & Silverio Foresi & Leora Klapper, 1997.
"Interest Rate Targeting and the Dynamics of Short-Term Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
5944, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Balduzzi, Pierluigi, et al, 1998. "Interest Rate Targeting and the Dynamics of Short-Term Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(1), pages 26-50, February.
- Kuswanto, Heri & Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2007. "Can we distinguish between common nonlinear time series models and long memory?," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-380, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Philipp Sibbertsen & Robinson Kruse, 2009.
"Testing for a break in persistence under long-range dependencies,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 263-285, 05.
- Sibbertsen, Philipp & Kruse, Robinson, 2007. "Testing for a break in persistence under long-range dependencies," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-381, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Nuno Cassola & Claudio Morana, 2008.
"Modeling Short-Term Interest Rate Spreads in the Euro Money Market,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 4(4), pages 1-37, December.
- Cassola, Nuno & Morana, Claudio, 2008. "Modelling short-term interest rate spreads in the euro money market," Working Paper Series 0982, European Central Bank.
- Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "Long memory processes and fractional integration in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 5-59, July.
- Davidson, James & Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2005.
"Tests of Bias in Log-Periodogram Regression,"
Hannover Economic Papers (HEP)
dp-317, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Velasco, Carlos, 1999. "Non-stationary log-periodogram regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 325-371, August.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20080090 is not listed on IDEAS
- Katsumi Shimotsu & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2002.
"Exact Local Whittle Estimation of Fractional Integration,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1367, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 2004.
- Katsumi Shimotsu & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2002. "Exact Local Whittle Estimation of Fractional Integration," Economics Discussion Papers 535, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Hidalgo, Javier & Robinson, Peter M., 1996. "Testing for structural change in a long-memory environment," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 159-174, January.
- Hassler, Uwe & Nautz, Dieter, 2008. "On the persistence of the Eonia spread," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 184-187, December.
- Manmohan S. Kumar & Tatsuyoshi Okimoto, 2007. "Dynamics of Persistence in International Inflation Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(6), pages 1457-1479, 09.
- Colarossi, Silvio & Zaghini, Andrea, 2007. "Gradualism, transparency and improved operational framework: A look at the overnight volatility transmission," CFS Working Paper Series 2007/16, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- George Kapetanios, 2002. "Testing for Neglected Nonlinearity in Long Memory Models," Working Papers 473, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2002. "Structural breaks and fractional integration in the US output and unemployment rate," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 79-84, September.
- Dieter Nautz & Christian J. Offermanns, 2007.
"The dynamic relationship between the euro overnight rate, the ECB's policy rate and the term spread,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 287-300.
- Offermanns, Christian J. & Nautz, Dieter, 2006. "The dynamic relationship between the Euro overnight rate, the ECB´s policy rate and the term spread," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Kapetanios, George, 2008. "Nonlinear models for strongly dependent processes with financial applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 60-71, November.
- Nautz, Dieter & Offermanns, Christian J., 2008. "Volatility transmission in the European money market," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 23-39, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:fubsbe:20095. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.