The Daily Market for Funds in Europe: What Has Changed with the EMU?
This paper presents evidence that the existence of deposit and lending facilities combined with an averaging provision for the reserve requirement are powerful tools to stabilize the overnight rate. We reach this conclusion by comparing the behavior of this rate in Germany before and after the start of the EMU. The analysis of the German experience is useful because it allows to isolate the effects on the overnight rate of these particular instruments of monetary policy. To show that this outcome is a general conclusion and not a particular result of the German market, we develop a theoretical model of reserve management which is able to reproduce our empirical findings.
|Date of creation:||03 Feb 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 08193, Bellaterra, Barcelona|
Phone: 34 93 592 1203
Fax: +34 93 542-1223
Web page: http://pareto.uab.cat
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Escriva, J.L. & Fagan, F.P., 1996. "Empirical assessment of Monetary Policy Instruments and Procedures (MPIP) in EU Countries," Papers 2, European Monetary Institute.
- Campbell, John, 1987.
"Money Announcements, The Demand for Bank Reserves, and the Behavior of the Federal Funds Rate within the Statement Week,"
3220231, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Campbell, John Y, 1987. "Money Announcements, the Demand for Bank Reserves, and the Behavior of the Federal Funds Rate within the Statement Week," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 19(1), pages 56-67, February.
- John Y. Campbell, 1986. "Money Announcements, the Demand for Bank Reserves and the Behavior of the Federal Funds Rate Within the Statement Week," NBER Working Papers 1806, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alessandro Prati & Leonardo Bartolini & Giuseppe Bertola, 2001.
"The overnight interbank market: evidence from the G-7 and the Euro zone,"
135, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Prati, Alessandro & Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe, 2003. "The overnight interbank market: Evidence from the G-7 and the Euro zone," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 2045-2083, October.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe & Prati, Alessandro, 2002. "The Overnight Interbank Market: Evidence from the G7 and the Euro Zone," CEPR Discussion Papers 3090, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Vítor Gaspar & Gabriel Perez-Quiros & Jorge Sicilia, 2001.
"The ECB monetary policy strategy and the money market,"
47, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Gaspar, Vitor & Perez-Quiros, Gabriel & Sicilia, Jorge, 2001. "The ECB Monetary Policy Strategy and the Money Market," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 325-42, October.
- Gaspar, Vítor & Pérez Quirós, Gabriel & Sicilia, Jorge, 2001. "The ECB monetary policy strategy and the money market," Working Paper Series 0069, European Central Bank.
- Giuseppe Bertola & Leonardo Bartolini & Alessandro Prati, 2000. "Banksâ€™ Reserve Management, Transaction Costs, and the Timing of Federal Reserve Intervention," IMF Working Papers 00/163, International Monetary Fund.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Seitz, Franz, 2001. "The supply and demand for Eurosystem deposits - The first 18 months," Working Paper Series 0044, European Central Bank.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe & Prati, Alessandro, 2001.
"Banks' reserve management, transaction costs, and the timing of Federal Reserve intervention,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1287-1317, July.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Giuseppe Bertoli & Alessandro Prati, 2000. "Banks' Reserve Management, Transaction Costs, and the Timing of Federal Reserve Intervention," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0123, Econometric Society.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Manna, Michele & Manzanares, Andrés, 2001.
"The microstructure of the euro money market,"
Working Paper Series
0080, European Central Bank.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Giuseppe Bertola & Alessandro Prati, 2000. "Banks' reserve management, transaction costs, and the timing of the Federal Reserve intervention," Staff Reports 109, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
- Spindt, Paul A. & Hoffmeister, J. Ronald, 1988. "The Micromechanics of the Federal Funds Market: Implications for Day-of-the-Week Effects in Funds Rate Variability," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(04), pages 401-416, December.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aub:autbar:559.03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xavier Vila)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.